“Good stay for overnight.”

Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road
Ranked #40 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
“Good stay for overnight.”
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Overall, a pleasant experience. Not much around so food options were limited. Room and location great for us as we were traveling north. Front desk was a little bit spacey. Was missing for about 10mins and the hostess from the attached restaurant had to come over and tell us she would be back from the store soon. She was on the phone while we were checking in. I had a few questions for her, which she blew off at first as she decided to start helping the woman whose credit card did not go through. After speaking over the front desk woman to get her attention, she quickly and bluntly answered them-as if I was inconviencing her. Otherwise, the stay was pleasant. Would not recommend the attached restaurant. Food was limited-waitress was similar to front desk woman, as if to rush us out. The manager who brought our food out was very pleasant however. Good place for overnight stay-not longer than more than a night though.

• Stayed August 2011
hibells, General Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, 13 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Holiday Inn South - Bells Road. I assure you that we are committed to providing exceptional service to every single guest. The management team will meet to discuss your stay on our property to ensure that future guests do not have a similar experience.

We value you as a guest of the Holiday Inn Brand and I ask that if there is anything we can do for you to please reach out to me.

Regards,

Josh Sominski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Albany, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed there after being unable to find any complementary reviews concerning hotels near Ft. Lee, Va in Petersburg. This property is eleven miles away and an easy drive to the Fort.

Location: This property is located immediately off of an I-95 exit on the south side of Richmond and is clearly intended to serve the business travel needs of the very large Phillips Morris plant that is adjacent to it and the DuPont chemical plant nearby. As it is located in a business/industrial area, there are few nearby retail businesses and the only restaurant noticed beyond that hosted by the hotel was a Subway fast food place. In general the area felt safe, as few people are around (except for guests at this hotel and the nearby Hampton Inn).

We stayed during a Friday night, so there were few business travelers present. However, a number of families driving I-95 had stopped for the night, suggesting that many leisure travelers use it as a way stop to their final destination.

US 1 is located a short distance away and can be reached via the side street that is adjacent to hotel. The side street actually travels through the middle of the Phillips Morris complex to reach U.S. 1. Incidental shopping, fast food and some neighborhood restaurants can be found on U.S. 1. The area in general of being or becoming lower middle class or less. The general impression was given that it might be unsafe during the night & an extensive police presence was noticed during the late evening.

Property/staff: The property was very well maintained and plenty of parking was available. The lobby was very nice, but somewhat small for a 3 star grade hotel. Their restaurant was located just off of it. Their staff was friendly and very helpful. When we were staying, the elevator nearest the lobby was out of service and anyone needing to use an elevator was required to use the 2nd one at the rear of the building. Given the overall good state of repair of the property, it is assumed that the elevator that was out of service had just recently done so.

Rooms: The rooms were very spacious, clean and up to date. A pleasant surprise was that internet was provided for - Many 3 and 4 star hotels gouge guests $10/night or so for internet access. This is a real plus.

Climate control worked very well and the hotel had rooms already air conditioned prior to the guest's arrival. The beds were excellent and the were outfitted with both firm and soft pillows to choose from. A microwave and refridge was available in the rooms and working.

The only negative thing I noticed about my room is that the carpet was in need of cleaning or replacement. There were stains present and in sufficient number to not be of three star hotel status (or a 2 star class hotel attempting to be a quality one at that class level). My companion's room's carpet did not have these issues, so it appears to be a per room issue.

Restaurant: We did not eat at the hotel's restaurant during our stay, electing to eat dinner in downtown Richmond and breakfast elsewhere, therefore, no comment can be made about it. It was noticed that they served a hot breakfast buffet (eggs, sausage/bacon, etc) for $8. Coffee was available all day in the lobby free to guests, but creamers were scarce.

Overall Experience: I was favorably impressed by the hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again. While geared to serve the business needs of the adjacent plants, its location adjacent to I-95 makes this property an good overnight place to stay for the passing through traveler.

This is also a pretty good place to stay when visiting Ft. Lee, VA. While 20 minutes away from the fort, reviews for hotels adjacent to Ft. Lee were generally dismal. The 15 minutes or so extra to drive to this hotel from the fort is well worth avoiding some of the "scary" things others had to say about those establishments.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank EdmondLee
hibells, General Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, 6 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I am extremely happy that you have found our property to be an excellent destination. I assure you that we will address the issues with the carpeting in your room ASAP and the elevator is under repair as we speak.

I look forward to having you as a guest again in the near future.

Josh Sominski
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Front desk is always very pleasant. However, their housekeeping is very slow. I was at work all day and when I came back at 4, they were just finishing my room! Asked for clean towels twice & they never brought them until the next day. No refrigerator or microwaves in my room & when I asked for one, I had to ask for 5 days straight before I got one. The Sporting News Grill is a nice set up & the food is 7 out of 10...but the service is absolutely HORRIBLE! The waitresses are rude, your food takes forever (at least 30-45 minutes) to arrive, and the waitresses hardly ever check on you. One waitress even threw our food on the table! The bartender its sarcastic (as if you wont notice). Myself & some co-workers have gotten raw or molded food a couple of times. This hasn't happened often, but one Tim is enough. Its like they don't pay attention. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I would rather stay at the Candlewood right next store...at least they don't front about their service & their laundry is free!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank hisimage85
Vermont
Reviewed 14 July 2011

After a long day of travel we arrived to friendly staff and happy hour at the adjacent restaurant, which had decent food. Room was clean and quiet. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VTtraveler09
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Very impressed with his hotel. Right off I-95 five miles south of Richmond. Mattress is great, bathrooms clean.

• Stayed June 2011
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My sister got married in Richmond, and as her matron of honor, one of the things I helped her out with was finding a hotel near the reception for the out-of-town guests to stay in, and hopefully one with a bar so that we could continue the fun there after the reception. I found this hotel and it seemed great and I called the sales office and they were very friendly and helpful. Laura, the head of their sales department said they had a big bar/restaurant area that they'd be happy to keep open until 2am for all of us since we had just a big group coming. My sister called to make the wedding room-block reservations and Laura said the same thing - of course they'd keep the bar open for all of us. So all of us made reservations at the hotel based on the fact that they said they would keep the bar open - we were trying to be safe and not drive anywhere under the influence.
My sister and her new husband arrived at the hotel first and checked into their room. Then they went down to the bar and got some drinks and all of their friends started trickling in. I know they were really looking forward to this time with friends because, for anyone who's been married before, sometimes you don't get to talk to everyone you'd like to during the actual reception, so I know they were looking forward to catching up with friends they hadn't seen in a long time, especially ones who had come from out-of-town.
But then, at 11:30 or so, they said they were closing the bar. All of us had just gotten there. My sister and her husband told the bar staff that Laura, from sales, had told them the bar would be open until 2am for all of us. They demanded that my sister show them an email from Laura...sure, like she'll just pull it out of her wedding dress. Apparenlty there had been some miscommunication between sales/management and the bar staff that night. No one in our group was being rude, obnoxious or was too drunk. All of us had just gotten to the hotel and most of us hadn't even gotten a drink yet. The bar staff told my sister it was "too bad" and that they'd have to leave - they were extremely rude - obnoxiously rude. She started crying. They started taking people's drinks and food out of their hands. The bar staff was not only stupid (they could have made more money from us that night in tips than they probably would in a whole week), but they had no heart. How would you kick out a bride in her wedding dress who's crying?
The front desk staff was not much more helpful. They said there was nothing they could do and were also being very rude to everyone. My husband and I said we wanted to cancel our room since the whole reason for staying at the hotel was because we were planning to be at the bar until late. At that point, we were both stone sober (we had both had 1 drink at the reception 3 hours earlier - I had to give a speech at the reception so I was purposefully not drinking). . We were also very polite considering the circumstances. The girl at the front desk told us we were drunk. Angry does not mean drunk. She then said she was going to cancel our room like we had asked. When I called the next day, she hadn't done it. She had lied to us.
Awful experiece all around. I definitely wouldn't book any wedding blocks at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank megpeg11
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel twice in three months. This May 31st stay I was alone and wanted to write a review since I enjoyed my stay here. The location is on 95 is just south of Richmond main city. The staff is great, check in was a breeze. Everyone always said hello and made me feel welcome and safe. Consider trying the Holiday Inn Restaurant which is called The Sporting News Grill for dinner and breakfast, I did mainly because I was alone, and it was surprisingly good with a nice waitress both times. The menu is varied and I had a vegetarian item for dinner, with a nice glass of red wine for a very reasonable price and the veggie skillet for breakfast. Locals came in to eat there so I figured it would be pretty good.
The room is newly decorated, great bed, nice pillows, nice fridge, microwave, large flat TV and a very pretty pool outside with a spray fountain. I enjoyed watching a family enjoying an evening swim.
I will definitely be returning again soon on my way South.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo