“Front of the house and housekeeping staff are AWESOME!”

Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road
Ranked #40 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel on 6-21 on my way to visit family in PA. Earlier that day I called to ask if my reservation could be changed from one king to two queens since my son and dog were joining my husband and I on the trip. I spoke with a very delightful gal named Bella who was more than happy to help me and she told me she was looking forward to our arrival. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by Laura at the front desk.. Again, she was another wonderful employee. She was very happy to help us and asked us to call if we needed anything. My son forgot his tooth brush and Laura was able to give him a new one. We needed more coffee packets and Laura had yet another top notch employee from housekeeping delivere the coffee to our room.. I didn't get this person's name, but she had a smile on her face and asked that we call housekeeping if we needed anything else.. Now, my review would have been excellent if we would not have attempted to have dinner in the restaurant, but the high level of service offered by the front desk and housekeeping made up for the experience in the restaurant. Laura gave me her manager's card and I sent her an email regarding my experience in the restaurant. Ismaray quickly responded to my email and took care of the problem and went way above and beyond my expectations to correct the situation.. WOW! I was very impressed with the service I received from Bella, Laura, housekeeping and Ismarary. If you are in the Richmond area and need a pet friendly hotel with great staff, look no further!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Checked in late. I actually thought I was at a Holiday inn express as it has been years since forgot they existed and the logo is the same. Driven too many hours. The lobby was nice enough and busy with a large wedding reception and loud music. My first clue should have been dated carpet as we waited for the elevator which is in a separate building and was not air condition. The hall way was hot with a room size a/c was at the end of the hall and on. The room was cold and clean. I just need to sleep. When I discovered the refrigerator was missing from the cabinet built especially for a frig I called f/d. Trainee said I will speak to someone to see if we could be moved. I said thanks anyway too late to move. Then I noticed no microwave to reheat my leftovers. At c/o I counted * rooms all missing frig. That made me feel I had been taken advantage of. The sign on the TV stand with SAFETY Tips. Wow haven't seen one of those since late 70's in Mexico. Parking & street not very well lighted. Very hot and dirty hall & elevaotr. Will never stay in Holiday Inn again. Not worth the $100+ room rate. Acceptable for Express not inn. At c/o Front desk said that the frig was an upgrade not standard at Holiday Inn. My response even Motel 6 & Microtel have frig. I learned valuable lesson. Never just accept the trusted logo H out front. To be safe pass the H and be Happier. Not sure who finds these conditions acceptable as no other review noted anything.

Room Tip: choose any other hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear Justsaythemagicword,

Thank you so very much for sharing your thoughts and comments regarding your experience. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. It's disappointing you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed at this HI for two weekend nights while visiting a family member at the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA facility. The hotel is a short ride from the facility, and Interstate 95. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable. It appears the facility is nearly new, or recently renovated. Overall the staff was nice and professional. It was great to have a restaurant on-site, the food was decent but the service was "hit or miss". We visited the restaurant on 3 separate occasions, and on two of those visits the hostess was "MIA". We stood at the entrance for 5-6 minutes before anyone acknowledged our presence. We witnessed a number of employees milling around, or engaging in personal conversations (not attending to customer's needs). The restaurant could benefit from having a manager on duty at all times. Except from those small issues with service at the restaurant I was very pleased with the accomodations.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Hotel is in an easy access location just of the 95. Room was a good size and clean.
My only real compliant was the very loud A/C unit that kept waking us up most of the night.
Had breakfast in the restaurant the service was good but the food took a long time to come out,
Which was not good considering only a couple of tables were occupied.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear ivster,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I am delighted you found our room to be clean and good-sized. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise caused by the air conditioning. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed one night (3 rooms) for a business meeting and the hotel was clean, welcoming and accomodating. We ate in the restuarant and the ribs were wonderful. The hotel manager and the director of sales stopped by to check on our meal and how our stay was going. Very professional and sincere. Our stay was very pleasant! Awesome customer service. I recommend this hotel for families as well as business travelers!

Room Tip: Back side of hotel-south side
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We had visited the hotel about 8 month's ago and wow what a difference one person can make.
When I was here last time my experience was not good but the location and price was right so when passing through my family and I decided to give it another try.
I have to say that at first I was not pleased. The front desk manager was less than attentive as she was busy talking about personal business with another employee.
We went to our room which was clean and accommodating, that was refreshing.
We decided that even though our last experience was HORRIBLE in the restaurant the food was good so we would try it again. What a pleasant surprise. The server's had a great attitude and were very friendly. The manager, which was also in a chef uniform, was very interactive with the servers ensuring they were taking care of all the customers properly. He even approached us and the other tables to see if we were enjoying our dining experience. It was very evident that he enjoyed and took pride in his job and wanted to ensure that the customers were happy. The difference in attitudes of the employees since my last visit was a complete 360. You could tell they enjoyed working for him. It seems as if you found a diamond in the rough literally. Our experience in your restaurant was wonderful and due to the change we will definitely be back despite our experience with the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed one night at your hotel on our way to move to Berlin, Germany. Daphne helped us when we arrived and she was so nice and helpful. We really appreciated her kindness and caring. She is a great employee to have. Thanks Daphne!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family