“Very nice clean rooms, very nice place.”

Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End
Ranked #47 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rupert, West Virginia
“Very nice clean rooms, very nice place.”
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We had a very pleasant stay. I have to say that was the best restful sleep I have had in over 6 months. Nice and very friendly helpfull staff. My over 2 night stay was a great experience.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My husband and I were traveling to Georgia with our 6 month old son. It was getting late so we checked our gps for local hotels. When Holiday Inn came up, we figured it would be decent since it was a Holiday Inn...Boy, were we ever WRONG!
First, we asked for a ground floor unit if it was avilable since we had alot of baby gear to take to the room. We were informed that there were none available. Ok, fine. We lug the baby, our luggage, and all of his gear up to the 6th floor to the room. The keys don't work! Back down to the lobby we go and are informed that maintenence had broken that door lock to that room earlier that day. Now the baby is fussing and hungry and it is late. We are sent to anoter room on the 8th floor. We were appauled at what we saw when we went in. The floors were not vacumed, the mirrors were dirty, and the bathroom was a NIGHTMARE! There was hair all over the floor (even a disposable shaver cap was left on the tub.) Not only had they not been swept, but not mopped either. There were dirty smears and sneaker prints all over it! I almost died when I saw what looked like several pubic hairs stuck to the bathroom door by something slimey looking!
I was so disgusted that I sent my husband down to the front desk to tell them what kind of condition the room was in. He comes back in carrying a broom and a dust pan!!!! He was informed that there was no one available from housekeeping and told to sweep it up so we could use the bathroom!!!! I was so upset that I went down myself. The first desk clerk that had given my husband the broom had already left. I told the new person on duty and he gave me TOWELS to put on the floor when I informed him that the room was so dirty that I could not even bathe my child. He said there was noone available to clean it and he gave us complimentry breakfast coupons (all the while I am wondering what kind of condition the kitchen where the food is prepared is in?)
I would never reccomend this hotel to anyone. It was a Nightmare!
One the way home from Georgia we stayed at a Best Western and it was spotless!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank disgusted2011

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Virginia
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We booked this hotel throught Travelocity as Top Secret Hotel so we had no say in what hotel we received. Our rate that was fifty percent less than directly through the hotel so it was a great value. The room was typical Holiday Inn style and looked like it had been renovated. It was very clean and we did not hear any noise in the hall or from other rooms. We were staying at a quiet time of year, however. The woman at the front desk was very professional and worked hard at getting us a quiet rooom. My only complaint was that the bed was too hard, Location is near, but not on, Broad Street. Rooms face either a busy road or strip mall parking lot. Yes, there is a bar but there were only a few people quietly having a drink so it did not effect my stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 December 2010

We stayed here for one night on a weekend trip to Richmond. The hotel is clean, well located and comfortable. The rooms are very nice size. My only complaint is that the bathroom ventilator worked so hard it seemed like it was an air conditioning and we didn't want cold air or noise and couldn't turn it off. Since it was one night we closed the bathroom door and it didn't bother as anymore. If it had been more than one night probably would have contacted management to try and turn it off. Other than this minor issue we were comfortable here, slept very well and it included free parking although you have to take into account that it's not in a closed garage but a big parking lot that appears to be shared with the stores in the back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Corridors and lobby, NOT air conditioned, VERY hot! Bar area attracts undesirables on weekend nights, very loud and unruly. Outside full of litter, bottles, cigarette buts, etc. Room average at best and outdated. Very disappointed, especially with the Holiday Inn name on the place. The price was right and you definitely get what you pay for. Would not stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 17 September 2010

First we had to go to the front desk to ask for DO NOT DISTURB signs. We put these on our door and the next morning we went to breakfast. When we came back before check out 10:45 am. The housekeeping people had been in our rooms. My brother rooms one bed had been stripped down and our room they took stuff out of. We still had our stuff in the room and the DO NOT DISTURB sign on door. Be VERY careful... There is no privacy at this hotel and they will invade your privacy even before check out time. I was soo upset about this invasion of privacy I just left after letting them know what happen. They did NOTHING!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 20 April 2010

We had a very unpleasant stay at this hotel. Let me start with some minor things. First, when I booked the room online, it was described as a King Executive (king bed with pull-out sofa). I had entered 2 adults and 2 children in our party. The pull-out sofa is actually a chair that converts into a twin-size bed. Fortunately, one of my daughters did not travel with us for this weekend. But beware when booking this room - it does not accommodate four people.
Overall the room was very small, although it did have good amenities such as a good-sized refrigerator, microwave and Keurig coffee machine. However, the draperies do not close sufficiently and the light from the parking lot was super bright. It looked like daylight outside the entire night.
The sheets and bedding were very cheap quality -- scratchy and not comfortable at all. The sheets did not fit the bed and rode up all night, so that I ended up sleeping on the bare mattress (ick).
There was only one working elevator and our room was on the 6th floor. We spent a great deal of time waiting for the elevator, and usually just chose to walk down the 6 flights rather than wait. It was often crowded with people, claustrophobically so, and usually stopped on every floor so that more people could try to squeeze in.
We also had a bad experience with one of the front desk attendants. We asked him to direct us to the closest grocery store. He told us the directions, which consisted of a right and a left turn. We even went back to him a second time to confirm the directions. However, upon following his directions we found ourselves lost with no grocery stores in sight. We were at least 10 miles out of our way in a part of Richmond that I do not care to ever see again. I was finally able to get my bearings using my car's GPS system and we realized that he had told us to turn the wrong way on Broad Street. The grocery store was actually 1/4 mile from the hotel in the other direction.
All of these are minor issues. It is a Holiday Inn after all, not a Hyatt resort. However, it was not a cheap stay. Because I did not want a rate with a cancellation policy, we paid more than $80 a night for this room. Definitely, definitely not worth it.
But our real problem was that our room did not have a functioning toilet. I consider this a basic component of a hotel stay; the lack of a working toilet is simply not acceptable. On the 2nd night of our stay, we returned to the room quite late after a long day at a sports competition. As soon as we walked into the room, we could hear a loud sound of water running in the bathroom. The toilet bowl was running. We jiggled the handled and opened up the tank, but could not get it to stop. The toilet would not flush at all.
I called down to the desk and the attendant said he would try to call someone to fix it. We went out on our ill-fated grocery store run, and when we returned, we stopped back at the front desk to inquire about the problem. He informed us that no maintenance was available and the hotel was full. He suggested that we shut off the water to the bathroom ourselves.
So, we had to spend the night without a toilet. We did have to turn off the water because the sound of the running water was so loud and we couldn't sleep with it.
In the morning I asked to speak with a manager, but none was available. The front desk attendant gave me the name of the general manager and said I would have to call during the week. When I explained the problem to her, she offered us complimentary breakfast and a 20% reduction of one night's room charge. I do not find that an acceptable remedy for a room with a broken toilet. I have tried to follow up with the manager, but he had not acknowledged or returned my call. He is never available on the property when I call and does not call back.
I would definitely not recommend this hotel. Although it is the closest hotel to the Richmond Volleyball Club where my daughter's tournament took place, I would pay $10-$20 extra and stay at a nicer place. If you do stay here, beware of room 620 and the broken toilet.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
tschwartz, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, 23 April 2010
Thank you for your helpful feedback and it was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday! Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues that you experienced during your stay with us. We have made sure that we have addressed all of your concerns with the apropriate departments for repair and to make sure the issues do not happen in the future! Please call us if you have any additional questions or concerns.
Thank you for your stay!