“Really awful”

GreenLeadersBronze level
North Carolina
“Really awful”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

As a Platinum IHG member, I've stayed at plenty of the IHG hotels. This one fails completely to meet the normal standards. I stayed 4 nights because of a downtown convention when I couldn't get into the "convention hotels." I surely wish I had gone to some other chain. To list a few of the problems.
--first evening I checked in tired and tried to pick up e-mail but couldn't get a connection on my IPAD. Wound up talking over an hour to a technician at the site I was told to call. Problem was simple but she couldn't get it in her head that if and when I could get connected, it would drop in less than 30 seconds. Simply lousy connection. Finally she admitted that the room I had was in range of a "connection" that was out of order and she had known it all during the prior hour of making me keep trying. Yet, then she told me the real problem was because I was using an IPAD and that they never keep a connection...dern, that's news to me. So I called front desk and told them I needed a room with internet connection. They did move me to another one that also didn't work that night--it did sometimes off and on the next 3 days. Well, I should say, they didn't really move me, it was up to me to go down, get key, move all my unpacked stuff to another floor. The front desk clerk also told me the problem was my IPAD, not their hotel. I did ask a guy at breakfast the next morning what his connection was like. His response was that it was really "iffy"....sometimes connected and slow but more times not, and he was using Windows 8.

By then I had the picture of how this hotel works. If any problem, they wouldn't offer to fix anything, only to blame it on the customer. So on most of the other problems I'll list, I quit discussing most with them.

--breakfast which they had given me because of the inconvenience of the change in rooms was about like is given free at Holiday Inn Express with only a tiny bit more which included rotten fruit for which they charge $10. No way you should buy that!
--one day I made a waffle and scooped some of their "warmed syrup" from a big server over it, the syrup immediately turned into a sticky candylike nasty product that made the waffle stick to the plate, I will say I told the lady keeping the buffet that this was a mess and she said that if I asked her the next day that she'd bring me some in a normal container. I followed with, why do you even mess with this warmed stuff which is really only making syrup into sticky candy? She allowed as to how that it was "the rules." I skipped that buffet the next day.
--both of the keys I was given after the move didn't work the next day
--hairdryer didn't work
--tub/shower valve was broken so only half pressure in shower, plumber came second day and left note that he had been there, yet it wasn't fixed
--place is old as sometimes happens, yet stupid improvements have been made, such things as a sink that holds all water in it until you put your hand down in the water to release the drain. I don't like fishing around in water that has my used toothpaste and spit in it.
--second morning I was awaked by the fire alarm ringing at 7:30 in the morning. After a few minutes (I had looked through the little thingy in the door and found nothing was happening in the hall) I called front desk and asked what was happening. Answer was simple as if I was stupid. "It's the fire alarm, it's being worked on." Oh good grief, what idiot scheduled that work at that time of morning and doesn't give notice to customers.
--had grand total of 1 electrical plug, of course this crowd doesn't think we needed to charge a computer and cell phone at same time
--they have a sign affixed to the wall across from the elevator that has "ice machine" with an arrow pointing to the end of the hall. Yet if you walk all way down the hall, you find another sign that says, "go to next floor" for ice machine.
--on 3rd day when I returned at 6:00 at night and found my room had not been tended to at all by maid, I decided to speak up again and called front desk and asked "so what's the reason the maid didn't come today?" I got their "attitude" answer which was, did you have your "do not disturb" sign on your door. That about cracked me up, I didn't even have a simple thing like that door hanger in this bad news hotel.

I'm wondering if I'm going to get one of those icky responses from the manager telling me how he's sorry I didn't enjoy my stay. I'm doing all I can to keep decent people from getting trapped at this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear bebeep,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. We sincerely apologize for the poor experience and service issues you have encountered. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Charisse V.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is conveniently located 10 minutes away from the Univeristy of Richmond and has the most comfortable beds of all the second tier hotel chains. There is not alot happening around this locations but it is a short drive to decent restaurants and downtown Richmond. A really great value and the staff is extremely welcoming.

1 Thank jaa251
Leland, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed here April 2014. Some past reviews mentioned problems. None with me. Normal Holiday Inn. Very friendly staff at desk and dining room. Breakfast buffet was better than most. Keurig coffee in room. Good location on main street near shopping centers and at least two colleges, VCU and U of Richmond. Good value for money.

1 Thank wvwisdom
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear wvwisdom,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. We are so pleased you liked the friendliness of our staff and the breakfast selections we offer. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible. Thank you for staying and we all hope to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I booked a room at the hotel as my son and I were participating in a tournament the next day. It was a quick one nighter for us. The checkin was quick, and the clerk was very nice, always a plus when coming in from a long road trip. He even pointed out local restaurants that we may be interested in. The room was clean, and everything worked.

I was pleased with the breakfast buffet in the morning as well. A nice selection of hot and cold choices, and the waitress who cleaned up after us was friendly too.

WiFi worked quite well, no issues there, and my son enjoyed the choices on the television before bedtime.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
yoursintravel, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest MichaelSPatton,

We thank you for taking the time to leave us this valuable feedback, when our staff know a good job has been done and it comes directly from our guest it goes a long way in motivating them. We thank you again for allowing us to be of service to you.

Marvin
Assistant General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I visit Richmond at least once a year for the French Film Festival. This year, I meant to book at another Holiday Inn, so wasn't sure what to expect upon arrival. The location is isolated and a little creepy at night, but the parking lot is well-lit and close to the entrances. The reception staff were courteous and attentive. Our late arrival went smoothly and the room keys worked. Rooms on the 8th floor were large and quiet, with the usual amenities and a good shower. The in-room Keurig coffee maker would have been handy, but the posted instructions didn't work, so I was never able to make a cup of coffee (probably user error). Too bad the breakfast in the lobby bar isn't complementary, like the WiFi. On Sunday morning, a very loud Christian church service was going on in one of the conference rooms off the lobby, if that sort of thing bothers you. I normally don't like Holiday Inns, but I may book here again next year.

Room Tip: The eighth floor is quiet and private.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank la-mia-mini
Dear Guest la-mia-mini,

We thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback, it is your comments that will help us continue to grow our product and service into something greater for all of our guest. We thank you for allowing us to be of service and hopefully we will be able to service you again.

Marvin
Assistant General Manager
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Check in ran smooth. Parking was easy. Had problems opening my room door after inserting my room key several times. Room was a bit small to what I am use to. During my visiting weekend it just so happened to be during a huge soccer tournament. The kids though were well behaved while some of their parents sat in the bar. The food in the restaurant was not bad. The bartender was excellent.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Thesoupnazi88,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our bartender.

However, we’re sorry about the crowd during your stay. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

The Internet was so slow and intermittent , that I forgot what I was doing a couple of times and one time I forgot where I was. It was like a twilight one episode. The people here are very nice and helpful. The hotel is very old, but you can tell it was recently refurbished, but they did skip corners, same old toilets, showers, and closet doors in rooms. Bar is ok and dinning room small but ok, fastest pot for Internet was the bar, I think? Any way for $109.00 per night, it wasn't to bad, but if you need Internet kip this one.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Dante1122,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience. It is unfortunate the internet service prevented you from fully enjoying your stay with us. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure a more positive experience for you and all future guests.

Adrian D
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Courtyard Richmond West
Residence Inn Richmond West End
The Westin Richmond
The Westin Richmond
#3 of 81 in Richmond

Been to Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End? Share your experiences!