“Nice hotel at a fantastic price”

Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End
Ranked #41 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia
“Nice hotel at a fantastic price”
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We booked this hotel throught Travelocity as Top Secret Hotel so we had no say in what hotel we received. Our rate that was fifty percent less than directly through the hotel so it was a great value. The room was typical Holiday Inn style and looked like it had been renovated. It was very clean and we did not hear any noise in the hall or from other rooms. We were staying at a quiet time of year, however. The woman at the front desk was very professional and worked hard at getting us a quiet rooom. My only complaint was that the bed was too hard, Location is near, but not on, Broad Street. Rooms face either a busy road or strip mall parking lot. Yes, there is a bar but there were only a few people quietly having a drink so it did not effect my stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 December 2010

We stayed here for one night on a weekend trip to Richmond. The hotel is clean, well located and comfortable. The rooms are very nice size. My only complaint is that the bathroom ventilator worked so hard it seemed like it was an air conditioning and we didn't want cold air or noise and couldn't turn it off. Since it was one night we closed the bathroom door and it didn't bother as anymore. If it had been more than one night probably would have contacted management to try and turn it off. Other than this minor issue we were comfortable here, slept very well and it included free parking although you have to take into account that it's not in a closed garage but a big parking lot that appears to be shared with the stores in the back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Corridors and lobby, NOT air conditioned, VERY hot! Bar area attracts undesirables on weekend nights, very loud and unruly. Outside full of litter, bottles, cigarette buts, etc. Room average at best and outdated. Very disappointed, especially with the Holiday Inn name on the place. The price was right and you definitely get what you pay for. Would not stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 17 September 2010

First we had to go to the front desk to ask for DO NOT DISTURB signs. We put these on our door and the next morning we went to breakfast. When we came back before check out 10:45 am. The housekeeping people had been in our rooms. My brother rooms one bed had been stripped down and our room they took stuff out of. We still had our stuff in the room and the DO NOT DISTURB sign on door. Be VERY careful... There is no privacy at this hotel and they will invade your privacy even before check out time. I was soo upset about this invasion of privacy I just left after letting them know what happen. They did NOTHING!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 20 April 2010

We had a very unpleasant stay at this hotel. Let me start with some minor things. First, when I booked the room online, it was described as a King Executive (king bed with pull-out sofa). I had entered 2 adults and 2 children in our party. The pull-out sofa is actually a chair that converts into a twin-size bed. Fortunately, one of my daughters did not travel with us for this weekend. But beware when booking this room - it does not accommodate four people.
Overall the room was very small, although it did have good amenities such as a good-sized refrigerator, microwave and Keurig coffee machine. However, the draperies do not close sufficiently and the light from the parking lot was super bright. It looked like daylight outside the entire night.
The sheets and bedding were very cheap quality -- scratchy and not comfortable at all. The sheets did not fit the bed and rode up all night, so that I ended up sleeping on the bare mattress (ick).
There was only one working elevator and our room was on the 6th floor. We spent a great deal of time waiting for the elevator, and usually just chose to walk down the 6 flights rather than wait. It was often crowded with people, claustrophobically so, and usually stopped on every floor so that more people could try to squeeze in.
We also had a bad experience with one of the front desk attendants. We asked him to direct us to the closest grocery store. He told us the directions, which consisted of a right and a left turn. We even went back to him a second time to confirm the directions. However, upon following his directions we found ourselves lost with no grocery stores in sight. We were at least 10 miles out of our way in a part of Richmond that I do not care to ever see again. I was finally able to get my bearings using my car's GPS system and we realized that he had told us to turn the wrong way on Broad Street. The grocery store was actually 1/4 mile from the hotel in the other direction.
All of these are minor issues. It is a Holiday Inn after all, not a Hyatt resort. However, it was not a cheap stay. Because I did not want a rate with a cancellation policy, we paid more than $80 a night for this room. Definitely, definitely not worth it.
But our real problem was that our room did not have a functioning toilet. I consider this a basic component of a hotel stay; the lack of a working toilet is simply not acceptable. On the 2nd night of our stay, we returned to the room quite late after a long day at a sports competition. As soon as we walked into the room, we could hear a loud sound of water running in the bathroom. The toilet bowl was running. We jiggled the handled and opened up the tank, but could not get it to stop. The toilet would not flush at all.
I called down to the desk and the attendant said he would try to call someone to fix it. We went out on our ill-fated grocery store run, and when we returned, we stopped back at the front desk to inquire about the problem. He informed us that no maintenance was available and the hotel was full. He suggested that we shut off the water to the bathroom ourselves.
So, we had to spend the night without a toilet. We did have to turn off the water because the sound of the running water was so loud and we couldn't sleep with it.
In the morning I asked to speak with a manager, but none was available. The front desk attendant gave me the name of the general manager and said I would have to call during the week. When I explained the problem to her, she offered us complimentary breakfast and a 20% reduction of one night's room charge. I do not find that an acceptable remedy for a room with a broken toilet. I have tried to follow up with the manager, but he had not acknowledged or returned my call. He is never available on the property when I call and does not call back.
I would definitely not recommend this hotel. Although it is the closest hotel to the Richmond Volleyball Club where my daughter's tournament took place, I would pay $10-$20 extra and stay at a nicer place. If you do stay here, beware of room 620 and the broken toilet.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
tschwartz, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, 23 April 2010
Thank you for your helpful feedback and it was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday! Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues that you experienced during your stay with us. We have made sure that we have addressed all of your concerns with the apropriate departments for repair and to make sure the issues do not happen in the future! Please call us if you have any additional questions or concerns.
Thank you for your stay!
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I stayed at this hotel in April of 2010. Everyone that works at this hotel is friendly with the exception of the morning female manager. She was very rude. I believe her name was tiffany or something that sounds like that. She wasn't wearing a name tag and wouldn't tell me her name. I had to call the hotel and listen to what her name was when she answered the phone.

The PROs:
the rooms are updated except the tv which is very important to me. They need to get flat panels. The bathroom was very modern and the beds are super comfy. All the staff are friendly but two stand out to me. I had breakfast the two mornings I was there. Ms Flo is the name of the breakfast lady. She is very friendly and is an excellent breakfast attendant. Ashleigh is the night auditor for the hotel. She is very friendly and accomodating.

The CONS:
one washer and one dryer, sheets really don't fit the bed, towels are low budget

• Stayed April 2010
richmond
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I stayed there with friends travelling on work. Checking in was great & the rooms looked nice. The sheets, blanket & pillows were all scratchy, so were towels. The sink looked nice other than a crack down the center but the design was flawed cause the water shot right out the front of the bowl on to me. There was also no counter space cause of the sink design. The locks on the door dont work very well & there was no do not disturb sign for the door. Before 9am housekeeping walked right into the room & rudely asked us when we were leaving so they could clean..... not once but 3x. At check out I made my complaints to the front desk who made a note of it cause they couldnt find the head of housekeeping. When I got home I checked my bank account & found that they double charged my card. It took til tonight & 10 phonecalls for it to be fixed.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank richmondcowgirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Courtyard Richmond West
Residence Inn Richmond West End
The Westin Richmond
The Westin Richmond
#3 of 81 in Richmond

Been to Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End? Share your experiences!