“change is not always good”

Clarion Hotel Richmond Central
Ranked #70 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I have been dealing with this hotel since it was a Holiday Inn for both business and pleasure but this was my worse. I booked an annual event at this hotel last December for the upcoming December and after having a signed contract things were changed. I know the staff I worked with last year put more effort and concern into fulfilling our needs. The property is a nice facility but new management needs to learn from the old. An honest establishment will last longer than an unhonest one

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank nomoreclarion

Reviewed 12 December 2011

I knew this property, as i had stayed there in the past when it was Holiday Inn. This trip, I found it to be clean and comfortable. I agree with some of the other reviewers that the hotel, from the outside, looks a little creepy and forboding, but inside it is very nice. An investment in exterior lighting may improve this.

Check in seemed to be very slow- I was the only guest in the lobby, but the desk agent was just SLOW... he was very polite, though. He drew directions on a hotel map to my room, and I found it with no trouble. The property WAS a bit dark- they could improve the parking lot lighting and increase comfort levels with this issue. At no point did I feel unsafe, though- I did not sense any lurkers. the property was pretty quiet, for the most part.

The room was very clean, and appeared to have been remodeled since I had stayed there before (with HI). The bed linens were in great shape, and the bedspread looked very clean as well. The furniture uphostery was also clean. The only negative I found in this area was not until I was getting ready to leave- I glanced over at the bedskirt while putting on my shoes, and saw stains that I did not want to think about what they might have been... Everythng else was nice and clean.

The bed was comfortable, as was the arm chair. The TV was very nice, and they have a great range of channels, but the remote did not work. The refrigerator kept my drinks frosty cold. There was no plastic bag in the ice bucket- the one that lets you pretend that your ice bucket is sanitary... there was also no laundry bag. Nothing to tuck my dirty clothes into.

There was a sign advertising pizza from the room service resturant. They direct you to the room service menu for additional items, but there was no room service menu in the room. There was no Guest Services book like I am used to seeing, that gives pertinant information about the hotel and the area- nothing. I ordered a pizza, and it had to have been the worst I have had in quite some time. Yuk.

The room heat/AC unit was pretty loud, but it warmed the room nicely.

In the morning, there was great water pressure, plenty of nice hot water.

Internet service was adequate.

Room Tip: Some rooms open onto the pool, so if it is summer and you don't want the noise, you may want to...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank STVUstudent
Rasik K, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Richmond Central, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Dear STVUstudent, Thank you for selecting Clarion Hotel Central for your recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind feedback and suggestion for improvement about the hotel. We shared your feedback with all head departments to make sure we take care of our customer needs and provide best customer service for any guest who are staying with us. We look forward to your return again in Richmond sometime soon. This hotel is centrally located to Richmond area, just walk-in distance like The Diamond, Greyhound station. Just within a 1 mile away from VUU and less than 3 miles away from VCU.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I have to be fair and first say that the room was clean and adequate. However, the check in desk was in a building separate from the building the room was in. It was after dark and scary finding our way to our room. I thought we were going to get mugged because we had to go outside again and over to another building. It was COMPLETELY empty and deserted. It was like a maze getting to our room and my daughter and I felt very vulnerable and unsafe. In the morning the showers were not hot, just barely luke warm. If you choose to stay here, get there in the daylight and have a male companion with you.

Room Tip: ask if there is hot water available in the showers, stay with a male companion, and check in before...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank happyinvt
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We knew nothing about Richmond neighborhoods when we chose this hotel. Pulled in after dark and did not feel as though it was a safe place for two women to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank bzky
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Good hotel to stay at if you're going to RIR. Only 2.5 miles from the track. Room was nice. The hotel was very busy since we checked in on race day, but that is to be expected. It's located right off of I-64/95, so that's a huge plus. Since the hotel was very busy, it was great that they had plenty of parking. The parking garage wasn't even halfway full. Good hotel to stay at if you're going to RIR or downtown.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank ed74cj5
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Nice value for this in town hotel. Front desk was accommodating. Room recently remodeled (or so it seemed).

Room Tip: Stayed in 4 story building, was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We picked the hotel from the gps. We wanted to stay somewhere cheap on our 17 hr trip. The hotel was clean and quiet. Pet friendly. The staff were really friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business