“Comedy of Errors”

Clarion Hotel Richmond Central
Ranked #68 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 1 June 2014

CHECK-IN
--they didn’t know to credit the amount taken out of my card due to late arrival to that same night’s stay
--so was therefore charged twice for first night
--printed out an incorrect agreement and I had to persuade him of it
--failed to recognize me as a Gold Elite Choice Member
--told me that breakfast was a buffet (he was wrong—it was a la carte—attached restaurant)
--when I handed military ID for the discount, was told I don't need THAT, give me your LICENSE

ROOM
--both clocks were off (one 25 min, one 10 min).
--dresser drawer was sticking out and would not close
--the water would not drain properly during a shower
--the restaurant menu in the books was outdated
--told the staff at the desk of these issues, nothing was fixed during our 3 night stay

CHECK-OUT
--they had no idea what was wrong and why I was being charged twice (see above)
--sent me a very confusing e-mail bill (I had to leave after waiting for it)f
--account not credited back properly until 4 business days later
--points only showed up for 2 nights when I was there 3 nights (and charged 2x for first night)

NO PERSONALIZED SERVICE
--received a generic "sorry we didn't exceed expectations" e-mail, very impersonal
--in their defense, they did credit me with enough points for a free night's stay AFTER I reviewed on Choice.com; however, no real issue was actually addressed and no real apology was given, just general platitudes, for which I was disappointed

The room was actually very comfortable, except the few issues mentioned.
Noise was extensive Saturday night, but probably beyond the hotel's control.

Room itself a decent 3 stars, service NEGATIVE 10, followup 2 stars

Room Tip: A stay on weeknights is comfortable. Just know your stuff and get everything in writing. Verify yo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Richmond Central

Reviewed 28 May 2014

There was nothing special about this place. They do have a new restaurant that is a second location for Nacho Mama's. The hotel was full for a wedding and we did not have any noise problems nor complaints. The room did what we needed it to do. We had a pleasant stay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here on May 16, 2014 and was a tad leery after reading the reviews. However, our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Room smelled a bit musty because the A/C had been turned off, but after it ran for a bit that cleared up. The pool area looked awesome (we didn't use because of time) and they even had a little "cabana" feel seating area that looked like they might serve drinks and food. Would recommend parking on the top level of the 2 deck garage. Front desk staff were polite and helpful.

Room Tip: If traveling with a dog request a room away from the main entrance/exit area of the parking garage.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pyanders
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I checked into the Clarion Hotel (3207 North Blvd) in Richmond on May 17, 2014. After reading reviews from Google, who gave it three stars, we were excited to find a reasonably priced hotel on a spontaneous trip to Richmond. Immediately upon entering the "non-smoking" room, we were overcome with the stench of stale cigarette smoke. The room was reasonably clean, but the next morning after getting out of the shower, I noticed a long curly black pubic hair attached to one of the towels. I immediately dropped the towel, and reached for another... which, also had pubic hairs!! I ended up drying off with a hand towel, after thoroughly inspecting it. I hope this concern finds it way to the right department, and resolution is made. After an experience like this, I would be hesitant to stay at a Clarion Hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

As a Diamond member of the Choice Privileges frequent guest program, I stay at Choice hotel properties quite frequently, of which Clarion is one. Clarion is one of the more prestigious brands in that hotel family, so I expect a bit more than average when I stay at one. This hotel did a good job of living up to the expectations associated with the Clarion brand.

From the outside, this hotel is not impressive. It's an older hotel, in an older part of town, adjacent to I-95, and near the minor league ballpark. But once inside, I found the place to be quite comfortable, in surprisingly good repair, and the service was good as well.

My guest room was of ample size, and while the decor is, in some ways, slightly dated, it had been well maintained, the room was very clean and the furniture was in good shape - not nicked, or scratched. The bathroom was up to date and spotless. I don't know if I expected things to be this nice based on the drive-up appearance of the hotel's exterior, but I was pleasantly surprised with my room and enjoyed a good night's sleep.

The hotel itself is sprawling and consists of a number of buildings. There is ample parking, and I did not feel unsafe in the immediate vicinity.

Check-in and check-out were both handled by pleasant, efficient staff people.

One of the reasons I stayed here was because of the price, which made this property an excellent value for the money. A variety of discounts are available at the brand website, and, in addition, Choice Hotels runs frequent promotions for members of their guest loyalty program whereby even infrequent travelers can earn valuable rewards.

Overall - nice stay, good value for the price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank step12dude
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel as a pass thru catching up with my crew and I have to say that this is a nice hotel. The beds were very comfortable as well as the staff was very curtious as we had checked in. The only issue that I have for the hotel is that the rooms are some what out dated. They basically need to receive a face lift. Other then that...not to shabby one bit.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2014

First off the grounds are very dirty..does not give a warm welcome.The rooms stink...almost afraid to crawl into the bed, dont know whether the bed is clean or the floors are clean, spider webs in the rooms, so you know it is not cleaned proper. The food in the resturant was cold and not cooked through. There was not hot water for a shower. Staff didnt seem to care about the service we were given. We are from a transportation company and travel lots and this is the worst place I have ever seen.There is nothing close by where one can walk to. Very sad location,,bums walking around hotel asking for money and food. Not a pleasant feeling.Screming adult, kids, could not sleep and have to get in Motorcoach and drive lives for 10 hours, this is safe how, all because of a disgusting hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business