“Good stay for the night”

Clarion Hotel Richmond Central
Ranked #70 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is very easy to find. It is right off the exit. We found it very comfortable. The rooms were good size and very clean. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were soft. Much better then your average hotel. The towels were even much better then most hotels. When we were getting settled in, we were able to catch a bit of the fireworks from the baseball stadium that is close by. This hotel would be one we keep in mind the next time we are in Richmond.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Internet service took several minutes to come on, and disappeared when I was away from the computer for 5 minutes. In the morning the Internet wasn't even available for hours.

I had a 1st floor room in the C building, which I had requested to be near the laundry. (Washers and dryers were fairly clean and worked. Housekeeping kindly brought me extra hangers for the clothes that I washed.) First-floor rooms have a door to the parking lot and one to the hallway, which was helpful. The room was clean, including the bathroom, towels, and refrigerator/microwave. In the morning I realized I was missing a piece of my coffee pot, so couldn't make coffee. TV reception was fuzzy for about half an hour, so I missed my favorite morning ritual: coffee and the news.

Across the street from the hotel is a nice suburban area, but on the hotel's side of the street it's a distressed area, with graffiti, vacant buildings and homeless people. If you need to save money and won't spend much time in the room, this is an option. But I don't think I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: If you need to do laundry, stay on floor 1 of the C building.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank EmmythePetSitter
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Spent the last week of June staying here. As far as the hotel goes I guess it worked for what we wanted but it was a kinda strange place. The elevator stunk bad! There is no lock on the outside doors to the hallway to the rooms. No security at all. It says you have to swipe your key but door is broken and anybody can just walk in off the street. And it's right on the interstate. Pass the homeless people on the corner as you exit the highway.

The house keeping staff did a good job. Our room was clean every night when we came back. Rooms were always well stocked with clean towels, beds were made and floor looked clean. Our fridge was dirty when we checked in and stayed dirty the whole time we were there.

When we first got there the pool looked clean so we swam. A few days later we came in from being gone and the pool was green. Just Nasty! I already had a problem cause the pool never closed. The gate is always swung open and any child can wonder in and fall in. The pool is just off the restaurant patio and is such a safety issue. I thought there was some law about gates closed for pools. Not here I guess. Just walk in off the parking lot and fall in the water.

The restaurant has good food but serious staffing issues. Ate in the hotel restaurant 3 times. Service was terrible the first 2 times. The last time we ate there we had a new woman we'd never seen before. She was good. The whole place seems focused on the homosexual theme. One night was homosexual men night on the patio and I was at the pool with my child. The men were extreme in showing affection on each other. Man or woman that doesn't need to been seen in public. Do not bring your children to eat at this restaurant.

Only one ice machine works. Pass the drunks and wave through the cig smoke to find it. I gave up. Creepy people hanging around.

If I ever visit Richmond, VA again I won't stay here.Just too many problems. But on the upside, the price was good.

Room Tip: Not for children. Beds are good. Halfway clean.
1  Thank bovine27
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had a long drive from FL and every place we usually stay was booked. There were Clarion/Quality Inn signs, so we weren't sure which it was. The room smelled of cigarette smoke and was dark. The refrigerator was missing, so my husband went to the ice machine to get ice to keep our insulin cold, and the machine was empty. He had to go all the way to the front of the hotel to find ice. Then husband went to plug in his nebulizer (breathing machine) and two outlets did now work. (glad we brought extension cords to reach the outlet on the other side of the room). I went to iron the morning we were leaving, and the iron was missing. Again, poor hubby trekked to the front desk, but the desk clerk had a line (overflow from no vacancies hotels), so he never got one.

There were two good things....the bathroom looked like it had been remodeled and was spotless and the night desk clerk was very nice and he was so busy he could have been cranky. Seemed like he was all alone. People kept coming in, phone kept ringing and he kept his cool. Wish I had his name.

was watching a UNDERCOVER BOSS rerun this week and it was the Choice Privileges BOSS. Obviously, he never went to Richmond, VA. Although, some of the hotels he stayed at were pretty bad.

we stayed at another Choice hotel, the Comfort Suites in NJ the next night....like night and day.

1  Thank Jacqui1947
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here for a night during a basketball tournament (the tournament had some deal with the hotel for $59/night) I was a little leery of staying here after talking with someone who had stayed the previous night, but was pleasantly surprised that everything was pretty good overall. No issues with the room, staff was friendly and helpful, check-in was fast. My only complaint is the exterior lighting....the parking lot is very dark, and the hallway our room was off of was really dark as well. Actually I've never seen a hotel hallway so dark, not sure what the deal is with that. But for $59 it was a great deal overall.

Room Tip: Looked like most of the ground floor rooms had doors that opened outdoors, while all second floor an...
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had a non smoking room that smelled terrible. At first we had thought it was a smoking room by mistake. Out side on the balcony was a soda can that was used as an ashtray. I am not sure how long it had been there, but was not cleaned during the few days we were there. The balcony would have been a good place to sit if there were chairs. The weather was nice enough to leave the balcony door open, but the dogs across the street barked constantly and the door had to be closed. It looks to be an older hotel that could use a face lift. Check in and out was easy enough, nothing special. There is an on site restaurant that was alright. It is walking distance to the ballpark. Just a few small things, I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Arrived a bit early so had to wait till 3 to get into room, no problem went to Monument drive to see some history, nice. In room quality good but only 8 pieces of toilet paper on the two rolls wheres housekeeping. Had to go to reception to get a new roll !!!!!!!! Excellent bar service and evening meal in the non affiliated restaurant.Tony the barman a very nice guy.
The advertised free breakfast does not exist & when reception staff spoken to all I got was sorry & we have been asking management to take that off the site for years, but sorry not our fault. Very disappointing not even a donut. 68$ is a good price if you could get whats advertised. Leaving today & will not be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple