“Much better than I remembered”

Courtyard Richmond West
Ranked #23 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I have not stayed at this location in over a year and was pleasantly surprised when I walked in. (My office is directly across the street, but i chose not to stay here). Obviously renovated since my last stay. The lobby is open and modern, with a large eating area. Very clean & welcoming.

Rooms are nicely appointed, with good lighting, outlets and more modern decor. Comfy beds & pillows, good water pressure in shower and clean!

The staff were welcoming and friendly. Will return without hesitation!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Richmond West

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Back to Richmond for my annual trip to the Mothership...this property was much better than my experience last year at Days Inn (see "Hotel Hell" review). I did appreciate the appointments of the lobby and room...the bathroom was good size...the arrangement of the room furniture was a bit weird, as I prefer the TV to be opposite the head of the bed, not beside it. I obviously didn't pay close enough attention to the amenities during the reservation process, as I thought they had a freebie continental breakfast, instead it was an overpriced Starbucks offshoot. Granted, it's not a high rise hotel, but it would've been nice not to have to walk to the far end of the hotel to find an elevator. It does have free internet, but I didn't really attempt to use it, as I had more confidence in my mobile hotspot phone. A couple of picky items...there were no coasters in the room, thus either leaving wet condensation spots on the furniture, or trashing the newspaper on which are used as a substitute. Also, washcloths should be in the bathroom next to the towels, not by the sink in the other room. Like I said, picky, but expected from a good hotel. Overall, it was an average, serviceable place to stay for a couple of days...nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Get a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stayed here recently on business. Hotel was convenient to I-64 but the hotel looked a bit worn and the room smelled a bit old and stale. The area itself is an older commercial area that looks like it could use a revitalization itself. Front desk was helpful. Didn't try the Bistro, but went to a Bob Evans down the street for breakfast (good choice). The hallways don't connect all around so you could do a lot of walking to get from the elevator to your room depending on where they stick you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Steven P, General Manager at Courtyard Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thanks for the feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed to hear the negative impression you had about the area and your room.

Our hotel was built in 1986 (27 years old) however we just completed a major renovation in the first quarter of 2013. I feel our rooms have never looked better than they do now. Not only did our rooms get renovated but we also opened the Bistro in January. It sounds like you did not get to experience our Bistro but I’m glad that you enjoyed the Bob Evans around the corner. There are a lot of local businesses in our area (like Bob Evans) and many of them have been around longer than us! However, the area is safe and conveniently located off of I-64 between downtown and the west end shopping district. I’m glad you found the front desk helpful and the hotel conveniently located. We would love to see you again the next time you are in the Richmond area!

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I booked a reservation at this Marriott Courtyard by mistake, but we did enjoy our stay. The hotel has recently been remodeled, with a new restaurant concept (Bistro) and updated rooms. We were greeted enthusiastically at check-in by Willa, who really went out of her way to make our stay complete. I also thought the staff handling the Bistro was wonderful and very patient and friendly. While I was not pleased to have to wait so long in line to get breakfast on a Sunday morning, the food was good and reasonably priced. However, it would have been nice to have a separate coffee line (and less expensive coffee) for those of us needing our caffeine fix before eating (I could have used coffeemaker in the room, but don't like them). The hotel was located close to downtown, which made our trip to the convention center very convenient. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for an efficient, clean stay

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is probably the oldest Courtyard I have stayed at but maybe the most comfortable. The propery was very clean and roomy. The hotel is very easy to find and close to the interstate and close to shopping, resturants, etc. The fitness room was a bit small but for a small fee the front desk offers daily passes to American Family Fitness Center just a short drive away but well worth the fee and the 3-4 mile drive. Definetly the largest fitness center ive ever visited and every type of work out equipment possible. Everything about my stay was great

Room Tip: Two queen bed rooms are very spacious. Only thing that would have made the room perfect would have b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2013

The hotel is everything one expects from a Marriott Courthouse, and much more… My wife and I traveled several hours to Richmond to attend the wedding of friend. As fans of the Marriott Hotels we opted to stay at the Courtyard (Richmond West). Not surprisingly we were delayed by traffic in I-95, but arrived at the Marriott in time to shower and change. At the appointed hour we went to start the car and it was dead. Dressed in our finest and under controlled panic, I sought help from the registration desk clerk, who immediately offered her car keys to a fellow hotel employee to provide a jump-- but no joy, as my car would not take a charge. Returning to the registration desk to make arrangements for a taxi, the receptionist insisted that we allow her fellow employee to drive us to the wedding in her car! He did so, and we arrived in time. That evening we returned at midnight were surprised to find the general manager on duty, he was fully aware of the events and offered assistance to resolve the car issue the following morning, a Sunday. The front desk gave us a print out the store hours of a nearby auto-shop because they correctly assumed we needed a new battery. The following morning true to his word the general manager was present to assist. Unbeknownst to him, I had attempted to jump the car earlier in the morning and was assisted by none other than the spouse of Courthouse employee who had dropped off his wife for work.

In sum, my wife and I are extremely grateful to an extraordinary staff who went far beyond the norm and whose actions reflect favorably on the on them, the Marriott Courtyard (Richmond West), and the City of Richmond. I can assure you, that had the same circumstances occurred in the DC metropolitan area the outcome would not have been as favorable. Marriott’s have my vote and will always be my first choice of hotels.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rowca
Reviewed 8 April 2013

It's an older facility but in good shape and, best of all, is run by people who care. We had two minor problems and both were handled far quicker than we expected. Overall, it's a basic Courtyard but the hospitality puts it a notch above what you'd expect.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank fs4569
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
Residence Inn Richmond West End
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Glenside
Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End
Best Western Executive Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond

Been to Courtyard Richmond West? Share your experiences!