“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Dumfries, Virginia
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

The lobby furniture and set up was clean and open yet provided sectioned off areas for sitting. The rooms are set up in classic Courtyard fashion, better TVs than I've had at other Courtyards. Ample parking and restaurants walking distance.

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor. Can't complain
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Will L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I had a very smooth check-in, and my preference for a top floor was accommodated. I found the room to be impeccably clean (I mean this honestly, notwithstanding my following comments), minus a hair on the edge of the bed (it was obvious it had just gotten caught in the laundry - the sheets were otherwise clean), a hair in the sink, and several hairs in the shower. The room had very obviously been cleaned, but I would have preferred not to have so much hair around! Maybe just a retraining on using clean cloths often to remove hair would be worth a try. I didn't try the breakfast or any of the amenities. This hotel is outside of the busy areas so it was incredibly quiet, and parking was free and convenient to the entrances. One thought - my room was 74 degrees in December (even with it set to 70), so I tend to think the A/C might have been broken in my room, but it wasn't uncomfortable. For the price, I would have liked higher quality, but I would still recommend if you want a quiet, out of the way hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Zebraz103
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Sure, the room was fine...average, but now we must use disposable cups in the bathroom, the coffee machine only makes 1 cup at a time, the mattress is more squishy than I've had in many prior Marriott stays around the country, and the breakfast....its not very good. The offerings are so limited, it's silly not to keep it self-serve and included in room price. I don't need to pay someone to grab me a juice bottle and a pre-packaged yoghurt. Marriott - you've been messing with your tried and true formula for success....and it ain't an improvement!

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank SassafrassTree
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hotel is in an ugly area of town. The room itself was okay, but there is one elevator so if you aren't right by it, you have to walk quite a while to get to your room. Not fun if you have heavy luggage. Better option is to look for something downtown.

1 Thank EmilyA126
Steven P, General Manager at Courtyard Richmond West, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for the feedback on our hotel. I apologize for the long walk you had with your luggage and I’m sorry you did not like our neighborhood. Our hotel may be slightly larger than your average Courtyard and since I walk the property every day I know our hallways can seem very long. Fortunately, most of our rooms are located on two main floors and there is an entrance to the hotel on all four corners. Most of our guests are able to park at an entrance close to their room which greatly reduces the walking distance. We do have a few rooms on a third floor but there is an entrance with plenty of parking and an elevator that make these rooms easily accessible as well. We always try to direct first time guests to the nearest entrance at check in. I apologize if we did not share that information with you. We are a first generation Courtyard that was built in 1986. Because of our recent renovation, most people think we are brand new due to our recent renovation and new Bistro! Most of the businesses in our immediate area were built in the 80’s and most of them have not been renovated. However, there are many unique restaurants and stores nearby that you will not find downtown or in the west end shopping district. My favorite restaurant is Vietnam One which is right across the street. One of the best things about our hotel is the fact that we are conveniently located off I-64 mid way between downtown and the west end shopping district. Once again, please accept my apologies for your less than perfect stay.
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

The service was great as always. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I love how they make it feel a bit like home for those on the road. The hotel looked like an updated Motel 6 but still excellent. Always recommend Marriott. I love the new bar/restaurant its a great place for breakfast and dinner in.

1 Thank jmcurl
Effingham, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stayed on first floor and felt VERY unsafe as the only thing locking the sliding glass door going to the parking lot was a steel pin. The lock on the door didn't latch. The fan option on the A/C was broke. There was hair in the sink and cigarette burns in the carpet. A lot of road noise too. The employees are very nice though. The free WiFi worked well. The bistro line was always long for breakfast. Overall, I expected much more for the price I paid.

Room Tip: Make sure to stay on the 2nd floor
2 Thank Ed C
I can’t tell you how disappointed I was to read your review. I was glad to hear however that you were satisfied with your WiFi internet! I’ll try to address all of your issues. Because we are a first generation Courtyard we do have rooms on the first floor that have a balcony door facing the parking lot. All of our balcony doors all have a lock on the handle and a secondary steep pin locking device as well. Sometimes if the door is not completely closed it is difficult to secure the lock on the handle. To be sure all of or primary handle locks are functional I have asked my Engineer to check every balcony door facing the parking lot. The control for the A/C is now a digital thermostat on the wall. Although there are still control knobs on the units they are no longer functional. Most of these knobs are no longer accessible and the knobs that are accessible should have a notice that the controls are on the wall. We will ensure that all of these rooms have this notice posted clearly on the unit above these controls. If there is ever an issue with the digital thermostat, it is usually a battery issue which can quickly be solved. I’m unaware of any rooms that have cigarette burns in the carpet. The carpet in our guest rooms is less than one year old and we have a very strict no smoking policy. If a guest smokes in the room we charge a $250 fee and go to great lengths to recover the room to like new condition. I would like to apologize for the wait in our Bistro. We normally have a nice steady flow of customers but every now and then it seems everyone comes down for breakfast at the same time. When a line forms we normally have a manager on duty that will run over and help expedite the service. After all, nobody likes to wait in a line first thing in the morning! Through our internal guest surveys 88% of our customers are satisfied with our speed of service at breakfast. Sometime the line can be misleading as most items are prepared quickly. Our Bistro has only been open for 10 months and we are still finding ways to improve the speed of our service every day. I’m also sorry there a hair in your sink. Above everything we take pride in our service and cleanliness of our hotel and guest rooms. Although we may never reach perfection on the cleanliness of our rooms we will keep trying! Through our internal customer surveys nearly 89% of our guests have told us that their room was completely clean. Lastly, we are tucked away right off West Broad Street which is a 45 mph road that conveniently take you downtown or to the west end shopping district. I have been here for over two years and you are the first guest I’m aware of to report that you heard noise from the road. I wonder if you may have had your balcony door open. Ed, I sincerely hope you give our hotel another try if you happen to be in the Richmond area again. I’m sure you will have a completely different experience next time. Thanks again for the feedback as there are several things that we can do to prevent future guests from having similar experiences.
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

This courtyard is just OK. The staff was peasant and friendly and quickly moved me to a second floor room when I wasn't comfortable with the sliding door to the parking lot in my original room. I was disappointed though that I didn't have a receipt waiting for me and there was no easily accessible coffee in the morning. The bistro line was too long to wait, and after I had to wait to receive my room receipt, I just didn't have time to wait in a long line for coffee too. I expect more for the price paid.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
Residence Inn Richmond West End
Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Glenside
BEST WESTERN Executive Hotel
Hotel I-64 Richmond
Hotel I-64 Richmond
#66 of 81 in Richmond

Been to Courtyard Richmond West? Share your experiences!