“nice chef, average food, poor service”

Kobe Japanese House of Steaks
Ranked #1,003 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Richmond, Virginia
“nice chef, average food, poor service”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

A mid-week visit to Kobe seemed like a pretty good way to avoid large crowds and have a nice - and entertaining - meal.

Lets start with the positive. The chef put on a reasonable show, did the expected tricks (including an onion volcano at my wife's request), and was friendly with the people around the table. I caught a shrimp that was flung my way, and my wife elected not to try and wasn't pressured into it.

The food is of average quality, it's pretty salty, quite unhealthy, and comes in a large enough portion that there's plenty for lunch the next day. It's also quite reasonably priced. We got two dishes, the chicken and the shrimp, but split them both so that we finished the shrimp and took about 2/3 of the chicken home. It worked out fine.

The waitress service was poor. The restaurant screwed a bunch of things up, which included not putting the grill on properly resulting in a ~30 minute delay of our dinner. The best the server could come up with was offering a free drink each, but since it was mid-week we weren't drinking. Our water glasses sat unfilled several times, and each time we had to ask for a top up. It took another 30 minutes after we'd finished to pay. There was only one other table that had people on it, so I'm not sure why they were so slow.

I'd probably break the score down as 3.5 for the chef, 3 for the food, 1 for the service. I expect we were just unlucky with the service; hopefully you, reader, have a better experience!

Visited September 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent food and service ...”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This place had a bit of hiccup with management changeover but seems to have gotten handle on things lately. We received great service and the food was fresh and delicious. The hibachi grills are downstairs and can get pretty rowdy on weekends. Hibachi servings are generous and there were a lot of variety with rolls, sushi and sashimi.

• Visited November 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Worst Sushi I've Ever Had”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I never realized how important vinegared rice in sushi is until today when I decided to pick up a Groupon for Kobe. I'm not sure if the sushi chef or whoever made the rice forgot to season the sushi rice or if this is how it's usually made at this location (as it was my first visit), but the result was awful.

My boyfriend and I ordered a total of four different rolls. Neither of us enjoyed any of the rolls we ordered because the plain tasting rice with meager portions of the other ingredients was simply unpleasant. I absolutely love sushi, but for the first time in my life, I couldn't finish any of the rolls I ordered. Also, for the first time, my boyfriend wasn't at all eager to finish what was left on my plate.

Craving sushi? I highly recommend you look elsewhere.

• Visited November 2013
Daytona Beach, Florida
“I am glad we ate here.”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The reviews were mixed but we have visited Kobes in other states so we came based on past experience. It was great. The staff was super friendly. Our chef was attentive and talented. The three of us each had something different. Lobster and filet, shrimp, and scallops and shrimp. Each meal was great. Sushi was super fresh and was served quickly. I would definitely come back.

• Visited July 2013
traverse city
“Just not good enough to return”
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

Food was mediocre, I planned in going somewhere else but was closed for lunch in Monday, it was raining so I stopped in.. The roll technique was poor, need more training or something, there are too many others to say I would pay $58 for two rolls and uni....sorry

• Visited June 2013