“Convenient, epitome of Westin”

The Westin Richmond
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

The location of this property is super convenient to downtown, Short Pump, and Stony Point fashion park. There seemed to be a lot of big corporate offices nearby, as well. This is hands down the best maintained Westin that I have ever been in, and I used to work in one. The property is immaculate. The linens are pristine. The staff is friendly and helpful. I did not eat in the restaurant, but I did order breakfast through in-room dining. Everything was exactly as ordered. It was a little on the cold side, but I didn't mind. Me being an SPG member (no elite tier), we had robes presented on the bed in both rooms, and one complimentary bottle of water in each. I expected to have tea bags at my coffee station, but did not. Overall, a great one night stay, and a great value on the government rate!

• Stayed: October 2013
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Tristamaye, WOW, thank you for your great review and for choosing to stay with us. We certainly take great pride in our hotel and appreciate your notes accordingly. I am glad to hear that you found superior value in your stay with us and I trust we will see you again when you return to Richmond. Regards, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed here for a Conference recently and overall it was an enjoyable experience.

It's s 25 minute ride from the airport and as you arrive you do realise that the hotel is primarily catering for business people visiting nearby offices - nowhere else around it and nowhere you can walk to except one Mexican restaurant.

Check in was very efficient and was pleased that they could sort out my room even at 1100 in the morning. I was on the Exec floor so that was great. The room was a good size and with a roomy bathroom too. Room content was what you would expect for this standard of hotel. Good wifi system across the hotel.

Executive lounge was poor - small with little to snack on. Breakfast was OK but obviously selection was limited.

Staff very friendly and efficient. Very helpful in arranging taxis and the use of the Shuttle (can be used for a trip up to 5 miles and up to 7pm so will need a cab back if you go out to a restaurant).

Conference facilities good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Neale1810, thank you for your business and the nice review. I am glad to see that my team took good care of you and made it easy to arrive early for your conference; we always try to make travel easier and worry free. Thank you for your generous comments and we look forward to your return. Stay well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I spend almost the entire summer at the Westin, while traveling back and forth to Richmond for work, so I got to know the hotel very well.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
The first thing you notice when you enter the hotel is the overwhelming smell of a white-tea-like fragrance, which is literally everywhere. The check-in process was always quick and with a smile, but the rooms leave a lot to be desired.

ROOMS:
I stayed in a suite most of the time, and had rooms with weird stains on the carpet, stains on the window shades, rooms that smelled musty, rooms with cracked tiles in the bathroom, as well as rooms that seemed perfectly kept up - it was really all over the place. The one thing that was always consistent was the bed - it was clean and comfy every time and that was very important to me.

FOOD:
The food was terrible - and I am not that picky. I ordered room service twice, and each time my meal had absolutely zero flavor and was really pricey. Yuck!

GYM:
The gym is small, but it does have a great selection of cardio machines. The machines each have a TV screen with multiple channels, but the TVs barely works - you can't change the channel on some, the buttons get stuck and they have terrible reception. The worst thing is that the AC DOES NOT WORK!!!! I complained/mention this to the front desk a few times but it never changed. The AC was on but did not cool the room - it was always around 76 degrees which is really warm for a gym. And the water cooler would run out of water a lot.

OVERALL:
The best thing that I can say about the hotel is that the staff is very, VERY friendly and helpful. I have no idea how this Westin can get away with charging so much money for their rooms (more than the Jefferson Hotel in downtown Richmond which is a true gem of luxury) or how they received the 4 diamond AAA rating is a mystery. But the hotel is full all the time with different conventions and meetings, and business travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor or the executive floor - it's rare you will get it but its worth a try.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Monika_with_a_k, thank you for your multiple visits this past summer while in Richmond. I thank you for taking the time to provide feedback that is both positive and constructive as it only helps us to improve. We are working hard to keep up the hotel and are proud to still hold the title of being a top Westin in the nation for both product and service. We have recently hired a new chef so the food quality is much improved as well and we will continue to focus to provide superior levels of service that our guests expect. Thank you for the opportunity to serve as your home away from home. I trust we will see you again should you return to Richmond. Be well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Overall this is a great hotel. Often when you arrive at a hotel the lobby is really impressive and then the room is a dissapointment. This was not the case with the Westin Richmond. I stayed in room 723 with two queen beds. My wife and two teenage children shared the room with me. It was perfect in every respect. There was enough room to lay out all of our bags without feeling cramped. The bathroom was one of the most spacious bathrooms of any luxury hotel I have ever stayed in around the world. The staff was courteous and never made you feel that a request was ever a problem. The gym was great with lots of equipement. My only disappointment was the executive club lounge which stopped serving breakfast too early on a Sunday. My family wanted to sleep late and by the time they arrived at 9:30am all the food had been cleared away so I had to pay for breakfast down in the restaurant.

This is a hotel that makes you feel that you have had a special weekend. Free wifi and it was really truly free, was an added and unexpected bonus. I will look to stay here every time I travel to Richmond.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the club level when you are traveling with your kids. It allows you to read the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Granddergis, thank you for your recent stay and for your feedback about your experience. I am pleased to hear that overall you had a good stay and I am grateful for your time in providing feedback. I am glad that you and your family had a relaxing experience and we look forward to serving you again in the future. Stay well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed for a second time at the Westin Richmond. We loved it the first time and it lived up to expectations again. The place is spotless. Our room was clean, comfortable, and everything we expected it to be. We had a Starwood Preferred Guest Room. King bed and chase lounge. The bed and bedding were first class and comfortable. The chase lounge was not the average hotel furniture. Some thought and money went into those. Never comfortable. We had free wi-fi and the HD flat screen and cable selections were a welcome change from the tiny flat screen sets with the out-dated analog channels. Thanks, Westin Richmond for stepping up to the plate. We attended a conference and the meals for the conferees were well prepared and presented. My portion of the conference was over before my husband, so I ate dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. First class and well prepared. The service was also first class. I can only hope that when we return next year for this conference that they hold at the Westin Richmond again.

While we were there, they were also hosting a wedding in the courtyard. I had an opportunity to observe the staff. They were attentive and did all they could to assure the wedding party had all they needed. Well done Westin Richmond!

Room Tip: We are Starwood Preferred Guests. The staff helped select our room for us.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Jo Ellen L, thank you for your recent stay and for the glowing review of your visit, our hotel, our services and our associates. It is always a pleasure to see how we are exceeding our guests expectations and I thank you for noticing and for sharing your comments with our future guests. I trust we will see you again the next time you are in the area. Stay well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Nice enough hotel, friendly staff, clean, tidy, etc etc - just like many many other hotels. Typical room size, 2 beds, a tv and a minibar. The exec lounge seemed a good idea, but again, I had a chair, tv and a desk in my room, the free "nibbles" were ok, but if the idea was for this to be like an airport lounge, it missed the mark.. Pool very small - no good for exercise swimming, ok as a bath.

If you arrive by taxi, and have no car (yes, I know it's the US but....) this hotel is on its own in the middle of various offices. Great if you are visiting the offices (as I was) but no good to eat outside the hotel or just wander to a gas station for a wider range of snacks and stuff than the hotel gift "shop"

Finally, I arrived at 10.30pm after traveling 20 hours, and was given a key to a room that wasnt mine. Thankfully, it actually opened the door to the exec lounge, but had it been another guests room, it would have been embarrassing for me, and worrying to the other guest had I wandered into their room by mistake. It took some sorting out, I was let into my actual room, but the replacement key 'under my door' never arrived as promised. A simple mistake to make, but could have had serious comeback.

So, all in all, not sure it was worth the extra money vs other hotels in the local area that I have stayed at...

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnMcGiffin
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Dear JohnMcGiffin, thank you for staying with us recently and for the overall feedback about your stay. Both the positive comments and suggestions only help us to improve. I am very sorry to hear of the room mix up and the lack of follow up. This is absolutely not our norm and I am very apologetic for the inconvenience this caused. We are very proud to be ranked as the #1 Westin in the country and I assure you this was a rare mistake. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and we look forward to seeing you again. Be well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Well located, well run hotel with a competent, friendly staff. Nicely appointed spacious rooms with exceptional beds. I had an end room with a very large window that filled the room with light. Two minor issues keep this from being a five star review. First, the elevators are slow. Often 8 to 12 people waiting to board in the lobby. Second, the food isn't quite up to par and is pricy. I usually avoid hotel food, but very few options nearby except for a typical Mexican restaurant. That said I will gladly return.

Room Tip: End rooms have very large windows.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear RW614, thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am glad to hear that your overall experience was positive and I thank you for your comments. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Richmond. Stay well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager