“Great for business expense accounts--think twice out of your own pocket”

The Westin Richmond
Ranked #3 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Macon, North Carolina
“Great for business expense accounts--think twice out of your own pocket”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Had a business conference here, so my wife & I came up the night before to avoid the early morning drive. Fancy lobby, have to use your room key to access the elevators, everything clean, plenty of free parking, bar in the lobby, nice meeting rooms. Our hotel room was clean, large but rather sterile. King bed was comfortable. Huge bathroom with rainfall shower head--quite relaxing. No refrigerator, no microwave, no comfortable chair--sort of a chaise lounge and a pillow, heard thumping noise from adjacent room at 6 AM. We stayed at another chain in another city this week. Room was smaller,especially the bathroom(still serviceable for what it's intended to be), including a big breakfast, and had a big chair and foot stool, refig and micro-zap and work desk for less than 1/3 of the price of this hotel. We'll back in 2 weeks for a medical appointment, and staying at a Country Inn & Suites 1 mile West of the Westin including all of these same amenities for 1/3 the price, and it also has an indoor pool. Point is, this is an upscale hotel that is best used if your company is footing the bill. Otherwise, you're out of your pocket far more than necessary for a good clean equipped place to stay in Richmond. Buyer beware.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay
2 Thank kingfather
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Der Kingfather, thank you for your recent stay and for your very thorough review of the hotel. I am glad you found our hotel to be upscale, clean, and spacious. I am sorry you felt that some of the complimentary amenities were lacking in comparison to some other limited service hotels, but that is somewhat of the norm in the hotel industry where as the more upscale, full service hotels do not include all the basics of limited service properties. We do take a lot of pride in our product and service and have no doubt that we are the best choice when traveling to Richmond. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again on a future trip to Richmond. Stay well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Raleigh NC
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I recently held a small meeting for 100 physicians at the Westin Richmond.

The hotel is easily accessible, located not far from the interstate. There was great signage pointing travelers toward the property. The front entrance is very nice and covered by a large overhang which accommodates a large number of vehicles. The main lobby is modern but not cold. This hotel has what I call the "floating front desk," of which I'm not a huge fan. But, because their staff were friendly and warm it didn't seem inappropriate.

The hotel was very full on Friday night. There was at least one wedding party, a Virginia Tech event, and our small group. It didn't seem crowded, however, as there were so many spaces for people to gather. There is a lovely outdoor courtyard with entrances to the enclosed pool and the meeting spaces. Really lovely, sunny and warm.

My room was large and very nicely furnished. I must say that I appreciated the larger bathroom, even though I was traveling alone. The only non-issue was that the full-length mirror was directly opposite the toilet. NOT a pretty picture, but otherwise a really good location for it. The shower amenities were placed IN the shower, which I appreciated. The shampoo, soap and conditioner were very nice.

Everything was ready well in advance of our Saturday morning meeting. The meeting room and pre-function spaces were set exactly as requested. All of the audio-visual equipment was exactly as requested. Our breakfast was good - try the blintzes! - and the fresh fruit was especially nice.

All of the meeting details were handled easily and quickly. The convention services manager, groups rooms manager and audio-visual staff were in touch with me throughout event planning.

All around, a very nice location and property. Look forward to returning.

Green Features: There were recycling receptacles all over the hotel. Very nice!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear PlannerRaleighNC, thank you for having your recent event at The Westin Richmond. I am very grateful for your business and the very thorough review you documented of our property. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and service and that I was very impressed by your eye for detail. Thank you very much for the 5 star review and we look forward to a mutually beneficial relationship into the future. Regards, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here during an overnight shopping trip and were very pleased. The hotel is in nice shape and very convenient to downtown, Short Pump, and Carytown. Rooms were nice and very clean and beds were extremely comfortable. However, what makes this as a go to destination is the people working in the facility. Everyone is friendly and professional making sure you have everything you need for a comfortable stay. The single standout employee is Bellman Richard Patterson. You would be hard pressed to find anyone more accommodating and pleasant! He made sure we knew where the shopping areas were and even helped find a nice seafood shop. Nice hotel with one of the best Bellmen I have ever come across!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Sheery W, thank you for your recent visit and for the great comments regarding the hotel and especially Richard. I am so pleased to hear that he made such an impact on you and I will be certain to commend him accordingly. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Richmond. Be well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stay at this Westin a couple of times a month. Never had a bad room and the staff is always very helpful and friendly. I like to make the green choice when I stay. It really helps you rack up the rewards points fast. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Suttonj29, thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write a positive review of your experience with us. I am grateful for your business and loyalty and we certainly look forward to serving you into the future. Be well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed here Saturday night March 29. The property is located in an office park area about 10 minutes from downtown Richmond, just off of a road with lots of stores. This property feels nearly brand new and the design is outstanding, with a light-filled courtyard at the center of the lobby, nice styling, good bar (and bartender!), pool and hot tub.

We stayed in room 513 that looked towards the back of the hotel and while it was over the ballroom rooftop it was good. The rooms are spacious and feel new. Heavenly beds very welcome. Overall the hotel was kept very nicely, and there was a meet and greet for the K-9 crowd staying there with a bowl of food and water in the lobby. Touches were very nice, would definitely recommend this property to anyone staying in Richmond.

Room Tip: Suggest a room that faces over the front of the hotel rather than the back. The front is actually ve...
Green Features: Excellent -- first hotel that I've seen a recycling can in the room!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear JSAATY, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to wrote such a great review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your entire experience and that you found the hotel to be top notch. I appreciate all the generous comments and we look forward to serving you on your next trip to Richmond. Be well, Feliks Schwartz-General Manager
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Wife and I stayed here for two nights on business. The room was clean and well appointed, bed comfortable. Pool and Hot Tub adequate with plenty of towels. Exercise room well equipped. Bar is NOISY due to hard surfaces of lobby. Restaurant has good food but is limited in selections. Try the Chateau Michelle Cabernet or Merlot: Expensive but heavenly! Executive floor lounge features breakfast and snacks at night: Well hostessed and the drinks are adequate.

All in all the place is a tad overpriced for what one gets but a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Pet friendly. If you want a fridge and a nuke ask beforehand: They don't come with the room. Roo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Jack46-2, thank you for your recent stay with us and for the overall positive review of your experience with our associates as well as our product and services. I am glad to see that you were pleased overall with your experience and we look forward to serving you again in the future. Be well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have stayed here on five separate occasions over the last three months and this hotel is the best home on the road one could wish for: the rooms are clean, modern and spacious, the staff is friendly and competent and very responsive.

2 Thank Tiredtraveller005
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Tiredtraveller005, thank you for the great review of our hotel and for choosing us to be your home away from home. We take great pride in our superior levels of product and service and thank you for taking note of such. I thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to serving you again soon. Be well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager