The Westin Richmond
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsheavenly bedclub levelinfused wateroffice parkroom serviceworkout roomoff the highwayvery nice hotelfront desk staffbroad streetwalk in showerfavorite hotelpool and hot tubbusiness travelerthe executive loungeshort drivecomfortable rooms
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2010

There are certainly many hotels with tastefully decorated lobbies and great restaurants and amenities. The Westin Richmond certainly is no exception. But aside from the roomy bath and sweet beds that defy insomnia is a professional staff that is ready to please. This is my first stay at a Westin and will not be the last.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2010

Dear Vacayluva, (great screen name!), Thank you for staying with us. I am so pleased to hear that we have won you as a guest for life with Westin and particularly the Westin Richmond. Thank you for posting a great review and for taking the time to do so. I hope that your travels will return you to us soon! In the meantime, Be Well. -Feliks Schwartz-General Manager

Reviewed 12 July 2010

We loved our stay at the Westin Richmond. The lobby was clean, fresh, very modern, and open. They offer many amenities like free Starbucks coffee and Tazo tea in the lobby and in our king suite on the seventh floor, in addition to fresh ice tea and apples in the lobby. We truly enjoyed the Executive Club; this was one of the best features during our stay. For an additional fee, you can enjoy a continental breakfast, which is much more with eggs, sausages, hot oatmeal, cereal, fresh fruit, etc., And, snacks throughout the day. The indoor pool, seemed to be a big smash among the older kids, and the workout room had the most up to date equipment and was quite roomy, which I enjoyed immensely. The bar was a hit among the adults looking to enjoy a drink while relaxing. And, the staff was so nice and pleasant. The only con I can think of, is that the hotel is way in the back, right off the highway, so it’s seems like it’s hard to get to until you get right up on the street. Signs would be a plus, to direct you to the hotel from the highway. Other than that, would stay there again with no problem.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2010

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to document a review of your stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay on our Executive Club Level and the other hotel amenities. Your points on directions are well received and I will be looking into some options to improve this. Thank you again and we look forward to your return. Regards, Feliks Schwartz-General Manager

Reviewed 10 July 2010

At first, you think, whatever: a hotel dining room. Think again. Interesting high end bistro menu featuring very fresh, organic items. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner all good (dinner especially). Decor is typical of a Westin and/but the ambiance is serene and relaxing and like no other restaurant in Richmond. Portions are rather large. Richmond needs more places like this: the sort of calmly predictable high quality restaurants (versus themes and scenes) in places like Scottsdale and Orange County, CA, where they know how to spend money on the right things. Friendly service could be a touch more on point for the prices but the guy was trying hard, and we didn't skimp on the tip.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for writing a nice review on our Restaurant; Crossings. We are very proud of our property and I am glad you had a nice experience with us. Be well, Feliks Schwartz-General Manager

Reviewed 9 July 2010

There is a reason (many reasons) why this hotel is ranked so highly - and it starts with the #1 manager I've ever come across in a hotel, Felix Schwartz. Note that he has personally responded to messages on TripAdvisor.com - how many hotel managers do that? He has clearly had some of the best training / schooling in management or just "has it". I am a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and I would guess that he's had that level of training to be able to lead his staff and conduct himself in the manner that he does.

We were there for a combination "wife's birthday / 3rd wedding anniversary" and I wrote to him just ONE DAY before actually arriving, just hoping to not get stuck next to a loud ice machine or something like that. Just wanting the check-in to go smoothly and hoping the King bed we had reserved would be available - I've booked rooms that have magically "gone away" and become unavailable at other hotels. Well, he didn't just make sure the reservation was taken care of. He didn't just upgrade the room to one of the nicest, cleanest, amenity-filled suites I've seen in a hotel chain. His staff SENT US AN ANNIVERSARY CARD (slipped under the door) just minutes after arrival. Really? That kind of personal touch is just unheard of.

But it would all be for naught if the hotel was not up to snuff, right? Well, I really can't find anything to complain about - to be honest, I started to see it as a challenge to see if I could find what might possibly be wrong. I'm a Quality Analyst at a major hospital, and I'm always looking for the "improvement opportunities". The hotel simply didn't do a single thing wrong. The room was immaculate when we arrived. The carpet looked as if it had been freshly wet-vac'd - not just vacuumed. The bathroom was large with both a bathtub and double-headed shower (good pressure and heat). The coffee was Starbucks and delicious - the bottle of water was free. Even though in-room internet was $9.99 / day, the business center offered the same services for free, including a COLOR printer.

Every single member of the staff went out of their way to be friendly.

You would think I worked for this company by this review - but I don't. And you can see what I thought of another hotel I stayed at in another review to see that I'm not just going to hand out 5 stars.

Honestly, when I return to Richmond, I doubt I would even consider staying anywhere else. Nothing can replace excellent management and quality staff, and this hotel has the best. I probably stay about 30 days / yr in various places and almost always use priceline for the lowest rates, as I feel I've learned to manipulate it pretty well. This experience actually caused me to have enough loyalty that I would actually prefer to book through them directly than take a chance that I might be staying somewhere else.

You are about 15 minutes from downtown Richmond - close to the Cary Shopping District, not as close to the Shackoe restaurant area. Right off the interstate if you're heading to Charlottesville (which is only about 45 mins away).

The reviews here aren't misleading. This hotel will take the top spot, I imagine, before long. Only complaint I can muster: the restaurant was not anything to write home about. But there are TONS of other options nearby. And, still, the service there was excellent.

Thanks for everything, Felix - you made our anniversary / my wife's birthday a special occasion, indeed.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nathanmedic2003

I am so glad you had such a memorable experience with us at The Westin Richmond. Opportunities like this is what makes our jobs all worth while and I am glad we had the opportunity to share in your special occassion. Thank you for taking your time to document such a detailed review of our hotel and your experience. It was a pleasure serving you and we look forward to your return. Thank you again, Feliks Schwartz-General Manager

Reviewed 30 June 2010

We absolutely loved our stay at this hotel!! It's brand new, beautiful, the decor is very modern, there are lots of amenities included and the staff is so friendly and helpful. The only con I can think of is that the area is not very pretty. It's a regular city with stores, traffic, a slum, and new develpments. There are parks every once in a while, but it's a drive from the hotel.

-Checkin was a breeze. They gave us a larger room upon request
-Free Starbucks coffee (in your spg room). The first day we ran out of sugar and cups, and left a note for more. When we came back, they had restocked the coffee supplies to last us for a week!
-Clean rooms
-Lots of shampoo, conditioner, soap (although we didn't love the quality of them)
-Pool was clean and warm, my 10-month-old loved it. The whirlpool on the side was delicious and relaxing, made me want to stay there all day. We were the only ones there each time we went swimming
-When we asked about walking trails in the area, friendly desk clerk gave us a card designed by Westin detailing an exercise route. She also gave us a great map of richmond that we used throughout our stay.
-The heavenly beds were really soft and cozy. I like firm, so wasn't so comfy for me, but my husband really liked those beds. The heavenly crib we got for baby was brand new and clean but a bit rickety, but she didn't mind and we didn't have to move it.
-The staff was so friendly and helpful. They'd ask us how our stay's going every time we passed. When our camera battery died, they looked all over for a compatible charger and one guy even called his friend who was a photographer. When we arrived at the hotel, the bellboy took care of everything from taking suitcases and bags out of our car (while telling us everything we needed to know about the hotel and Richmond), to the room, and same when we were leaving. When we called to tell the front desk we might be a few minutes late checking out, they said no problem, and it ended up being an hour late without any hassle.
-Lobby: Really mod and fresh, All facilities of the hotel branch off it and everything's easy to find. There's not alot of sitting space, although it never got crowded in the 3 days we were there. There's an urn of fresh water with fruit in it on a table for you to take (free)
- Business room: has 3 or 4 computers for you to use for free, and printers too, +office supplies

Overall, this hotel greatly exceeded our expectations. I would recommend it as a first choice for anyone staying in Richmond. Westin will give you a relaxing and refreshing stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family