“Musty room”

Ranked #11 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Stafford, Virginia
“Musty room”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Check-in took less than a minute. Big spacious rooms. Friendly staff. Perfect location. Can walk to many restaurants/bars. Bartender great. Front desk was helpful finding me a bandaid and scissors. Don't pay for valet, parking garage across street is only $4 overnight whereas hotel parking is $20. Room smelled musty but my husband couldn't smell it. Overall great stay.

Room Tip: High rooms have better views.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beachin2011
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
We appreciate the opportunity to read about your experience at The Omni Richmond Hotel are are glad that overall you had a great stay. If you return please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything less than perfect and we will make sure to address it. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Hotel is very clean and check in is fast. The location is very convenient to Richmonds wonderful night life. My only complaint is the excessive caulk build up around the tub area. The build up is very unsightly and for such a high end hotel, this was certainly a dissapointing discovery.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Omni Richmond Hotel. We were pleased to read that you had a good stay but will share your feedback about caulk with our maintenance team so they can include this in their inspection process. If you return to Richmond, we hope you will once again choose our hotel for your accommodations.
Minden, Louisiana
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I've stayed there for about 25 years and will again be there for two weeks. My children and g'children live in Richmond, so I stay close to them. I've probably stayed there over 2 months total and have had a variety of experiences with them, but the personal service is wonderful. The staff are great from Stuart in the restaurant to Eddie in the bellhop position. One Christmas, Jose (an electrician) came up and helped me put a toy together that I couldn't manage on my own.

I highly recommend it for families and travelers alike. The staff really is marvelous and eager to help with any problem. I also highly recommend the 'Select Guest' to all before a stay. The goodies it provides is marvelous. Just ask if you need help about anything. I've had problems, but they were always quickly and graciously addressed. The expense of parking is high, perhaps, but the valet service is wonderful for women traveling alone.

Room Tip: I've only once had a bad one and was moved fast.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2011
Thank you for your loyalty to The Omni Richmond over the last 25 years. We are thrilled that we can be a home away from home for you when traveling to visit your children and grandchildren. As you said in your review, never hesitate to let us know if you need anything. We will do whatever we can to help. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back during your upcoming visit.
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stayed this weekend for a Christmas party....It was just ok...The front desk girl did not have a clue what she was doing and took 10 to 15 just to get our room. I booked and held it under my credit card but when we arrived we switched it to my husbands....in the morning we found out the wrong credit card was charged. She never switched it to his...(not that big of a deal) just frustrating after standing there so long to get checked in...She obviously needs more training... The room was nicely decorated but had a musty smell. The bath room was large, but out sink counter top was broken/patched and several pieces of hair were on the floor which made me feel like it was not that clean... In the morning I went to use the lotion and noticed it was a half empty bottle...I assume the maid never replaced it from the previous guest, which kind of creeped me out (room 1510)... Overall ok hotel but not as nice as when we have stayed there in the past years. I hope they will improve by next Christmas party. You have a year Omni! :)

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pjtime
We are dismayed to read about your recent experience at our hotel. None of the issues that you encountered should be expected or are acceptable at our property. Please be assured your review will be shared with our front desk and housekeeping teams so they can revisit their training and inspection process. Your feedback is valuable in helping us pinpoint where improvements need to be made and we are certain that your stay next year will exceed all of your expectations!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed here for the Suntrust Richmond Marathon and were really disappointed. Have never stayed at an Omni hotel and was looking forward to the experience. It was right at the finish line of the race and that was a big plus. We were also supposed to get a deal on the price and when I looked it up on the website, we paid what it would have been to start with.

The room: was fairly nice, but nowhere near what I expected from this being the Omni. I know everything cant look new forever, but I felt like I was in an older place...much older!!The window was dirty--outside and in. There had been a piece of what looked like duct tape placed on the window and taken off with residue left behind. A little scrubbing could get this off, but no one has bothered. I wanted some good pics of the city, but it was hard with the dirty window--do they clean the outside? The worst part of the room was the connecting door--we could hear everything in the next room...the door might as well have been open!! Seems there should be something around these doors for noise prevention, including the doors to the hall--we could hear conversations going on--word for word! The best part of the room, other than the window, was the cleanliness...linens and bathroom was spotless.

The staff...guys at front entrance act like you come here all the time...lukewarm reception desk. The worst part--dealing with the valet parking. It seems you are always looking for someone when you go down to get your vehicle. You can and should call ahead of time, but when you get there--your vehicle is there and you cant get the keys. And, front desk upon departure had no sympathy for a bad stay, just sorry. The best part--the chamber maid on the 11th floor--even though that window hadnt got any attention(with the duct tape), she was the only person here that I tipped. She was the only person who deserved it. Excellent job and worker with great attitude--wish I remembered her name. Then other staff seem to think they can do whatever and get a tip and really give attitude if they dont get one.

The hotel and location....hotel upon arrival and entrance seems to have all the "bells and whistles"...decor is very nice. The lobby is connected to the surrounding buildings thru a 'mini mall' area with a Star Bucks and other little shops/eateries, along with their own restaurant that looked nice. For me, the location was great and would be hard to beat for all you can do around the hotel. Thats what made this bittersweet--great location, yet poor experience.

Biggest disappointment: paying for internet!!! Who does that these days? You stay in a cheaper hotel and get it free, you stay in an overpriced hotel and pay for it...ridiculous! This wasnt mentioned at check in and was of no concern at check out. Even though it states you will be charged when you go online, I had never heard of such and when called to inquire at the front desk, I was made to believe there would be no charge...wrong! Also, the valet parking...$20 if they park your vehicle, $21 if you park it yourself--each day! Im not sure why they even expect a tip--they can split that $20!

Overall, this was just a HUGE disappointment. Ive never stayed in a luxury hotel, other than Hilton, and was really looking forward to this. We asked for a high floor, got that--11th, with a view of the city, got that--not best side though and was just let down from there...ie "sharing" our room with the people on the other side of the connecting door and anyone who chose to talk in the hallway, and paying for internet. We really felt ripped off and will never stay here again.

Another thing, we received a survey by email from the hotel and when we voiced our concerns, the manager just dismissed it by generally saying, 'sorry". Apparently there are plenty of people with money who dont care what they get and, when its bad, sorry is the magic word to make it all better, nothing else.

Room Tip: Make sure you dont have a connecting room!!!! Make sure you are aware of all the extra charges..int...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kevin N
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you for your valued comments in regard to your recent stay. We apologize for the cleanliness issues and have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel staff leadership in order for this be remedied. In regard to the noise issues, we are looking at several options to address this noise flow between our connecting rooms. Thank you again for your feedback and please accept our apologies for a stay experience that was not up to your expectations.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 21 November 2011

The Omni is a well priced hotel in the middle of most of the action in Richmond. Plenty of restaurants, bars etc. within walking distance. The hotel itself is fairly upscale and is a good value overall. Rooms are fairly spacious, comfortable bed, and nice views from higher floors. This is probably the best located and best value of the big chain hotels downtown (Marriott, Crowne Plaza, Radisson etc.)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your positive rating of The Omni Richmond. We are thrilled to be your preferred hotel in Richmond and we hope you will stay with us again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I dislike writing negative reviews, but sometimes it has to been done! My recent 1 night stay at this hotel was awful for several reasons:

1- Booked and paid for a club level room on the hotel’s website (not priceline.com or another third party website), only to discover when I got to my room that on Sunday (the day I checked in) there is no evening hors d’oeuvre and no breakfast offered on Monday morning. I think the hotel should post the club level schedule online in the reservation process so people are not blindsided as I was. I don’t know why anyone would book a club level room knowing they will not receive any of these amenities.

2- The pool was closed for renovation, which I was only informed of at check-in when I asked what the hours were for the pool. I certainly would have booked at another hotel if I knew the pool was closed. I do not understand why this information was not disclosed on the hotel’s website when I made the reservation.

3- Room 1919 had a horrible smell of mold. The smell was over powering the entire night. There is no way the cleaning staff could not be aware of the smell as it is so over powering, so I do not understand why the hotel would place any guest in room 1919.

4- The heating in room 1919 was not that great. After several adjustments I finally cranked it up to 85 to get the room warm and then set the thermostat to 70.

5- Towel bar in the shower is broken; half comes of the wall if you lean on it at all.

6- Room service menu in room 1919 is missing the dinner page and several of the other pages are disheveled.

7- Some things about the room seemed untidy/in need of maintenance. Aside for the above issues, the bathroom door was chipping on the bottom and some of the furniture seemed worn.

8- WiFi is free if you join their rewards program, something which would have been useful to know when we called the front desk to ask what the charge was for WiFi.

Some things I liked about the hotel were:

1- The parking valet was courteous and told us about the neighborhood sites and eats.

2- Breakfast Buffet was good.

3- Location of the hotel was good.

4- Starbucks in the lobby is a plus.

5- Bed was comfortable.

6- The morning front desk staff at check out was very responsive when I told her some of my issues with the stay. She seemed sincere and asked us to eat breakfast at the hotel’s buffet for free and comped a beer my husband had from the mini bar.

My husband and I were there to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and unfortunately did not have the relaxing stay we anticipated. If the room had not smelled of mold, the pool had been open, and the club level benefits been offered, I think we would have enjoyed our stay.

I would not recommend this hotel for business or leisure travel in Richmond.

Room Tip: Not room 1919
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BBCNY
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. The confusion with the Club Lounge not being open for the time you booked your reservation was completely on our end and your feedback has lead to this situation being fully rectified. We had posted the indoor pool closure on our hotel web site, but we do understand the frustration that you had when you learned of the closure at check in. The cleanliness issues have been reviewed with the proper hotel leadership staff and procedures have been put in to place to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept our apologies that your recent stay did not exceed your expectations and we thank you for your valuable feedback.