“Underwhelmed experience”

Omni Richmond Hotel
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel could benefit from an upgrade/restoration. I stayed with a larger group and we all experienced issues with the bathrooms. Toilets either didn't flush or never stopped flushing. The water pressure in the shower was great, but the shower head was too low and hit your back. This is located in a nice part of Richmond; however, the hotel needs a facelift.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback and please accept our apologies for the issues that you experienced. We do have several projects in the works that we are confident will address some of your concerns regarding updates. If your travels bring you back to Richmond, we hope for a second chance to provide you with a stay that exceeds all of your expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,058)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Central and convenient to everything in Richmond. Tobacco Place Restuarant across the street was excellent for dinner. StarBucks for breakfast in the same building complex. Inexpensive parking in covered lot also across the street. Nice sized rooms, and friendly front door staff to guide you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

If you need to stay in downtown Richmond, this is my top choice. It is walking distance to restaurants, shopping, antique stores, bookstore. It is also walking distance to the Library of Virginia if you are doing any kind of research that requires a trip there. Warning it is an uphill walk to the Library and the Capitol but doable. The Omni's rooms are not plush by any means but they are clean. The food? Unless you absolutely cannot go out to eat, take a pass on the hotel food. Way overpriced and not good at all. The best thing about the Omni is the location. It is easy access to I-95 without having to deal with too much downtown traffic. In my opinion, downtown Richmond has hotels in some iffy neighborhoods that I do not feel comfortable walking around in after dark particularly near the Convention Center. The Omni location seems better than most of them in that respect but you still need to be aware of your surroundings because Richmond is not on any "Safest Cities" list. If you are in town for a conference, stay at the Omni and take the conference shuttle to the Convention Center because after your meetings if you want to go out, the neighborhood next to the Omni is a great place to poke around. I would definitely stay there again if I were to go to Richmond again and needed to be in the downtown area. I also liked that they have underground valet parking. It might be a little more expensive but I felt my car was much safer there than in a city parking lot.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We've stayed in most of the downtown Richmond hotels. The Omni has by far the best location for walking and eating out. Restaurants, a genuine book store, and the pleasant streets of Shockoe Slip are literally out the front door of the hotel. If you don't want to do valet parking, there's a municipal lot right across the street that's very reasonable on weekends. The hotel was clean and had a Starbucks in the lobby. Our only disappointment was having to pay $10 for internet access. In this day and age, wireless should be free.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for reviewing the Omni Richmond. We are thrilled that our hotel stands out among the other downtown hotels you've experienced. We do apologize if the information regarding our Select Guest Program was not shared with you while on property. This value packed program is open to all guests at no charge and includes complimentary wireless in your guest room among its many perks. If you return to our hotel or any other Omni Hotel we would encourage you to sign up. We are grateful for the opportunity to read about your stay and hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recently I had my second stay in this hotel. During the first stay, there were no problems. However this time, I did encounter some at check-in. I had checked-in via my email prior to my departure. A very good and handy benefit. When I arrived, I just picked-up my key. However, I did have problems on arrival with valet parking. First, I tried to pull into the area and one man was wandering around in front of my car, paying no attention. Finally another staff attendant pulled him out of the way. Unfortunately, he was the valet assistant to help me with my car. He took my luggage just inside the front door and dropped it. A staff member was standing there in a suit, some sort of supervisor but made no move to help me much less to greet me. I asked for directions to check-in. My key was handed to me but no service appeared to help me with my luggage or to my room. I made my way up and tried to open the door without success. I was using the directions on the back of the key card which I learned, did not apply to this hotel. I called the desk and an attendant came promptly and let me in. I asked about a receipt for my car, but he knew nothing. He then asked, while I was calling the front desk, if I would like him to bring my bags into the room. The desk told me not to worry about the lack of a car receipt as she would give me the number. I said that was not satisfactory but she did not seem to understand. I then asked the staff member present to get this for me. After awhile, when he did not return, I went to the front desk. The same man went to the valet stand. He took about ten minutes to return with a receipt. The room was comfortable, clean, and spacy. The next morning I had guests arrive for breakfast. We were seated and the server was really too attentive. However, the table cloth was covered in crumbs and my knife had been used before. We received our carafe of coffee which was cold. We asked that it be replaced and I received a fresh cup with lipstick stains. I then went to an empty table in order to get a fresh cup. The first one I picked-up had coffee stains. This was resolved. On check-out, all services were superb. The valet people were prompt and courteous. Overall, a nice hotel in a central location in downtown. However, these two lapses were concerning.

Room Tip: There are frequent conventions here. Ask in advance for a room away from that. I was there during...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

We are grateful for your feedback and apologize that your most recent experience fell short of your expectations and our own. Please know that we understand how frustrating your interactions with valet, the front desk, and in our restaurant must have been and we assure you that we will be researching what may have happened. Guest feedback is useful to us as we evaluate how we can improve and we are thankful that you took the time to share your comments. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to provide you with the great stay that you deserve.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This well run hotel on the edge of the historic old Richmond district is a great option for business or family visits. Easy walk to the downtown restaurants, and only a short hike up to the library of Virginia and capitol.

Room Tip: Tobacco Company across the street is definitely worth a try, food was delicious
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The lights and tv came on by themselves...felt like the room was haunted. The conference food was not good at all. Also, the restaurant forgot about our lunch order. The hotel location and parking were great.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Please accept our apologies for your less than stellar and unusual experience at our hotel. Feedback such as yours helps us to understand how we can improve and all of your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers. Thank you for writing a review and we hope for a future opportunity to welcome you back.