“Four Star -- REALLY?”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We went for a couples night after leaving a luxury bed and breakfast in Maryland and we were very disappointed. The valet serviceman was very nice, but the front desk clerk seemed too busy (or too bored) to help us. The hotel is so basic with very 70's looking features. The tub and bathroom decor look very similar to my grandma's place. There was only one "perk-- bath robes. Big deal! No "turn down" service, complimentary breakfast, refrigerator, microwave OR DVD player. It was like the stereotypical French restaurant- you pay 4-star prices and get very little in return. I've stayed in much, much nicer 3-star hotels. The best feature was the bed. It was comfortable and had nice linens. If you want to pay a lot of money and just go straight to bed without expectations of luxury surroundings, this would be a nice spot.

Room Tip: Valet parking is $20/night--they will take your keys but won't tell you this. There is a small s...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AllAboutCritters
dennypppp, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

Thank you for choosing the Berkeley Hotel for your recent stay. Our staff strives to exceed our guests expectations and we apologize for not meeting yours during your recent stay. We are proud to have received the AAA Four diamond award again this year. We receive many positive comments about our boutique hotel including our large, oversized rooms some with balconies, our marble baths, deluxe bedding and high thread count cotton sheets, terry robes, two phones per room, free WIFI, homemade chocolates provided at turndown, in room safes and much more.
If there is anything we can do to further assist you please feel free to contact us directly at 804-225-5148. Thank you

Reviewed 14 August 2011

What a lovely hotel! Beautifully decorated bedrooms and very welcoming staff. I came to settle my daughter in to the university of Richmond. Having tried three other bigger and more prominent hotels in the area I fully recommend you try The Berkeley. Attention to detail is second to none, from the homemade chocolates on the pillow to the luxurious egyptian cotton sheets I have had the best nights sleep in Virginia. It's got understated class and in a good area for restaurants and bars. I parked my car outside for free all weekend. This is my new home in Richmond!!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank crabLeeds
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The Berkeley is indeed a nice hotel. Situated in the Shockoe Slip section of the city, it's close to various museums, restaurants, bars and other attractions. Ask for a quiet room if you're staying on a Friday or Saturday night. The lobby of the hotel is small, if you care about such things; I don't, but I found the lack of a concierge a minor annoyance. The look of the place is quite elegant, and our room (lowest-priced) was similarly appointed, a decent size and clean. The staff is pleasant and the parking valets are downright cheery; allow a few minutes for them to get your car. (You'll see why.) The comfy Berkeley dining room has a $10 NON-buffet continental breakfast (which is new to me), so we skipped breakfast there our second day and went across the street for the Omni hotel's excellent $12 continental buffet. Just like every hotel I've ever been in, the Berkeley has those awful door locks which make a loud wake-the-dead "bang!" when closed; however, its doors seemed noisier than most, and naturally our neighbors were early risers.... Overall, the hotel is a nice place to stay, is in a good location, and is a very good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you're staying on a Friday or Saturday night.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrpaladin1234
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I organized a 30th birthday party for my wife at the Berkeley Hotel and got an amazing rate on the Governor's Suite (I believe that's what it was called). We had a roaring 20's themed birthday celebration and we had about 7-8 friends up for a wine tasting on the extremely large balcony. We then carpooled it over to dinner (but there must be about 20 restaurants within walking distance), then came back for some more drinks on the balcony before going out to the Mint. We've stayed here on our wedding night, this night, and one more recently, and all three times we've been impressed. The only downside was that some rooms have VERY thin doors, so you can hear people coming down the hall (We thought our wedding party had found our hotel room and were coming to drag us back out to the bars - turns out it was a different group of people going to a different room down the hall - it sounded like they were at OUR door though!). It's a very small hotel, but the rooms are pretty large. The bathrooms are nice as well. You can't beat the location, especially if you are visiting Richmond.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichmondVALovers
Reviewed 30 July 2011

From Wednesday, July 27th to Friday, July 29th, my two 16 year old sons and I had the privledge and pleasure of staying in this hotel. From the moment we drove up to the front to the moment we drove away, we were treated like royalty...without the pomp and circumstance. When we checked in on Wednesday evening, after a long drive from Norfolk, there was an issue with my debit card. The front desk personnel could not have been more reassuring and friendly. While I got nervous, she remained calm and friendly and promised she would take care of us...and she did. What a wonderful way to be welcomed.

The maids were so friendly and accomodating - since my boys were in and out of the room all day while I was a work. They actually worked around their schedule - "sneaking" in and getting a much needed cleaning done while they were out.

The valet service was so prompt and friendly, I never worried about my car or my luggage. Those young men certainly know what they are doing.

All in all our stay was wonderful and this is the only place I will stay in the future when visiting Richmond for business OR pleasure.

Thank you Berkeley hotel staff - you rock!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed at The Berkeley for two nights in June 2011.

The hotel is located in the historic district with beautiful cobblestone streets outside and a short walk to many historic sites and museums and great restraunts.

I was really surprised by the size of the room, very large with a good sized bathroom. Lots of room to store our bags etc, and whilst we had a view of a brick wall that was fine as the rooms that face the street would be exposed to the noise from the nightclub across the road.

My only gripe is that we booked on Hotwire for 2 adults and 1 nine year child and the hotel gave us a room with a King sized bed, which I really think is a bit mean. I know they could argue that this was providing bedding for everyone, but sharing the bed with my nine year old son put a dampener of the stay.

We stayed on a Saturday night and were woken at 11.30pm with a load of guests returning from a wedding have a mini-party outside the ice machine, and when I went downstairs to complaint the receptionist did say she would call the room(s) and ask them to quiten.

They did but I think by that stage they had all passed out!

Very nice hotel, well appointed and nice and close to everything we wanted to see.

Jodi

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2011

When in Richmond for business, I usually stay at the Omni across the street. My wife joined me on this trip, so I decided to venture from my norm a bit and, using the favorable and trusted reviews on TripAdvisor, booked a room at the Berkeley. The Berkeley has a different feel from the Omni and the other branded hotels that specialize in catering to the business traveller. The Berkeley, more of a boutique hotel, has a much more quaint, cozy feel to it. That is why I decided to stay here.

First impressions, in general, were very favorable. The hotel lobby, halls, and the room we stayed were extremely clean and well maintained, though I never saw any sign of cleaning staff over the two days we stayed. Our room was larger than most in size and had a feel to it that you could "stretch out" a bit. The homemade chocolate that was awaiting each day was a nice touch. The bed provided an extremely good sleep -- not too soft/fluffy, not too firm/hard. The hotel is nicely located to the restaurants of Shockhoe Slip and within walking distance of most everything one might want to visit in downtown Richmond. The hotel has a restaurant in the lobby that as far as I was able to see from our brief two day stay was never frequented by anyone, including us. Admittedly, I had limited opportunities to actually see what was going on but I did not see one patron in the restaurant for breakfast or dinner either of the two nights we stayed. This was one of the oddities of the Berkeley that, did not bother me, but may bother some folks is that I did not see *anyone* else in the hotel---ever. Not coming or going, not eating at the restaurant, not even working -- even the front desk and valet/concierge was vacant each time that I walked past. This was strange to me, though I was perfectly fine with it. For someone in the need of some "action" this may have been bothersome. As for myself, at 6:30am I was off to the Starbucks across the street for breakfast, and then back to the hotel at 5pm after business and then out to one of the many dining choices in the area with my wife. The fact that the hotel was so "sleepy" in it's atmosphere was just perfectly fine for me---the best of both worlds within a single visit!

As other patrons have noted in their reviews, the hotel is right across the street from a popular eatery/drinkery. Our first evening of our visit, not even on a weekend evening, we were awakened from our sleep at 1:30am by a very, VERY, loud and lengthy "discussion" by an obviously drunken group of individuals who were looking for "Joey". Whoever this "Joey" was, the group had apparently lost him somewhere. I don't think that they thought of looking for him in the gutter. Or was he still in the men's stall somewhere? This group carried on for quite a time before their banter staggered off into the distant byways of downtown Richmond (probably towards VCU). Our 2nd evening came without the early AM drunkery, but given the similar situation described in other reviews, I suspect that most patrons of the Berkeley should at least expect the possibility of having a sleep interrupted by this drunkery. I was tempted to take a "star" from my 5-star rating of this hotel because of this (and the "sleepiness" feeling of the hotel) but I am not... I will let readers of this review decide for themselves on whether they want to discount my 5-star rating for these shortcomings that I've described.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business