“Unique and classy!”

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
“Unique and classy!”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I had the opportunity to spend one Sunday night here at the Berkeley using a Groupon voucher. I was pleasantly surprised with my spacious, lovely room that had a glorious balcony overlooking the cobblestoned Carey Street. This hotel is in a great location where one can walk to the downtown . I enjoyed walking around the Capital and Shockoe Slip area which features great eateries including "Rock Bottom" Pizza. I felt perfectly safe in this area since I was alone.
The Hotel staff were very helpful and efficient since I had a question about my bill. Another great feature was free access to the YMCA facilites in a nearby building.
Only problem was parking.; If I didn't use their valet parking, I had the choice of a parking garage blocks away or park on the street. Fortunately, weekends one can park on the street free. Week days are 2 hour parking meters.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room overlooking the street.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Traveler46236
Jim F, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Traveler46236,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Hotel. I sincerely appreciate your kind words about the quality of the room, our location and the helpful and efficient staff! I'm glad to hear you were able to enjoy the nearby YMCA as well. I understand your concern with parking but I'm happy to read you were able to find parking.
Thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This European style hotel located in the historic district of Richmond VA (the Shockoe Slip neighborhood) was recommended, among others, by the service representative at the Convention Center. Our choice proved to be very wise.
This elegant hotel is within walking distance of the “Canal Walk”, Belle Island, Tredegar Iron Works, the State Capitol and government buildings enclave. It is very close to many good restaurants and you can benefit from free street parking on weekends, if lucky enough to find an empty space.
The staffs were very pleasant. We appreciated the free WI –Fi and the business center.
We stayed on the sixth floor. The room was of fair size, with high ceilings, large windows, decorated with good taste. We made good use of the private terrace with views on the Canal side. The bed and sheeting were very comfortable.
On the down side, our room was located across from the popular Tobacco Company Restaurant and Club which is very busy especially on weekends. Unfortunately their customers are noisy late into the night. It is best to get a room that does not face the Cary Street.
We highly recommend this charming hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ClaudeC
Jim F, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
ClaudeC,
Thank you for the 5 star review! Your positive comments are very much appreciated, and we thank you for the "highly recommend!"
We hope to see you again,
virginia
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This was an elegant, well located hotel. Valet parking ($20 a night), full dining room, complimentary coffee, excellent location, friendly and sophisticated staff. There is a starbucks right across the street, which came in handy.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lmpulfer
Greetings Impulfer,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Hotel. Your comments about our location, amenities, and staff are always wonderful to read.
Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We spent 3 nights at the property in a 3rd floor room with a balcony on Cary St. Being right across from a large, popular bar/restaurant we were afraid it would be noisy at night, but we never heard a thing. The bed was comfortable, the room clean and spacious. Can't ask for much more from a hotel.

The bar and restaurant staff was great. Ken Wall, their food & beverage manager, is a great guy and really works to make sure you have a wonderful experience. Their chef, Carly Herring, produces some AMAZING meals. Make sure you have dinner in their restaurant, it's a hidden gem.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We strive to ensure all guests have a stay as enjoyable as yours. Ken and Carly are definately valued employees and I am glad they could contribute to your experience. We hope you will continue to stay with us when in Richmond.

Best Regards,

T.Quarles
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I would tell everyone about this wonderful hotel, and in a Great area...the staff was great and the room and resturant was the best.
The next time I come back to the area I will be there again,and I will tell my friends about this hotel.

Room Tip: They did not have a gym,but we were able to go across the street. Great!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Annskurka
Hi Annskurka!
Thank you for such a nice review of the Berkeley Hotel. It's always great to see wonderful reviews regarding our room quality, staff service and our dining room. I'm glad you found the off property gym to your liking.
Thank you for telling your friends!
charlottesville
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and i spent one night at the Berkeley and really enjoyed the location. There are a lot of restaurants within easy walking distance. Cary St is cobblestone outside the hotel and the hotel is surrounded by historic store fronts. The canal walk is close as well.

Our room (509) was surprisingly large and included a full-sized sofa and club chair. The room had four windows that were all equipted with black-out curtains. We had access to an outdoor patio despite the fact our room didn't have it's own door that directly opened to the patio. The bed was comfortable and the sheets felt like they were high treadcount. The bathroom was filled with stone tiles and was very clean. The decorative style of the hotel is definitely traditional but was comfortably well done. There was no fridge in our room. The only "problem" with our room was a large pink stain on the carpet which i reported to the front desk.

We didn't use the valet service and parked in a city parking deck about two blocks down the road for $5. A sign in the hotel said the valet could take up to 15mins. In less time, we were able to walk to our car in the parking deck.

Check-in and out were quick and easy. The desk staff were helpful in selecting local restaurants.

I booked the hotel online and paid $100 including tax and felt like we got a good value.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oriahlee
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Lovely hotel....it is right in the heart of the city so I was concerned about parking. We lucked out and found a spot right across the street and were able to park for free. I only stayed one night . We got there after 9:00 pm so it only served as a place to lay our heads for the night as we were back out the door at 8 the next morning. Wished we were able to stay longer and take all that it had to offer. I would stay again if we were in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family