“Quiet and elegant”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #8 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I was in Richmond for one night and stayed at this very nice hotel. As the title to my review suggests, I think "elegant" sums it up well. There is no workout area or swimming pool (on-site, anyway) and there doesn't seem to be much retail shopping in the area, so if that is what you are looking for, this is not the hotel you want. But it is located near several excellent restaurants, the staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean and quiet (although there was some kind of street construction at 3:00 a.m. that woke me up -- not the hotel's fault). Within easy walking distance of the 4th U. S. Circuit Court of Appeals and other downtown Richmond buildings.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I hope you were able to visit the workout facility across the street that is complimentary for our guests. Our location does offer several restaurants and attractions within walking distance. We look forward to your next visit when in the Richmond area again.

There are newer reviews for The Berkeley Hotel

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Where do I start?
First I went online to make a reservation for a one night. They required a min 2 nights. I called and they were able to accommodate a one night. We are locals and celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary. We ordered the “Evening of Elegance”.

We pulled up on Saturday around 4:30, and there were no available valet parking spots on the curbside, and no doorman. We parked in front of the fire hydrant. We went to the front desk (to check in) and the staff was eating in front of me. We carried on own bags to our room, and there were no bellman.

The room: The room was big and comfortable. Nice flat screen TV. The bed was nice and firm and plenty of pillows. In addition, the carpet had a big stain. The wallpaper looked like there was some cheap repair. The bathroom was big, the shower/tub – well the tub was tiny from the early 90’s with the fake gold faucets. The Granit counter tops were the same as the floor and wall. The toilet had a nut cover mission.

Restaurant – a AAA 4 Diamond, really.

We went down for dinner and had to wait for a minute before a server saw us, as they had no Host. They only served the Restaurant Week Menu, however, wife got the dinner menu and I got the bar menu. I was looking for the extra touches – like the server putting the napkin on your lap. My soup was warm – not hot. My duck was tasteless (I had to put salt on for some taste) and warm – not hot. The servers were not a 4 Diamond type servers. The wine selections were good and the server was good at refilling my water and wine.

Breakfast was basically the same type of atmosphere. The eggs benedict was good. The Berkley breakfast was ok, the potatoes were extremely over salted. The coffee and water refills were constant.
For being an old hotel the atmosphere was nice. The staff was nice but not very professional. The bellman stand had too many local pamphlets. Lastly, I would expect the extras, like a sidewalk carpet in front of the front doors, bed turndown. host, bellman, doorman.

My opinion, this is a 3 diamond hotel not a 4 diamond.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel was better than we had expected, for the price. The staff welcoming and helpful. Many thanks, Fletcher, our valet parking man, and everybody else at The Berkeley. Southern hospitality at its best!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Event coordinator (Jacque Brown) was phenomenal!! We were trying to coordinate a wedding block and bride's room with the hotel *across the street* and they were awful - they never returned any calls/emails and main reception was rude when we called, so we just gave up. We called The Berkeley and talked with Jacque who was extremely helpful, always responsive to my calls/emails, wasn't pushy in the least, and offered great suggestions to make the bride's weekend absolutely fantastic. They also were very accommodating with last minute wedding attendees who didn't have reservations. I would coordinate an event at this hotel ANYDAY!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you so much for your review. Jacque is a star and I am so glad she was able to help make your weekend special. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Our room was lovely and the staff was excellent. We had a problem with our car and the staff was very accommodating to our needs and went out of their way to be helpful and assist us. Our only criticism was that the food in the restaurant was not good and the wait staff was indifferent at dinner. Breakfast was fine.
I would recommend the hotel but not the restaurant.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Firstly, the staff were all incredibly friendly and hospitable - really couldnt have asked for better service. The hotel itself is in a great little area of Richmond with plenty of restaurants close by. Hotel rooms were clean and comfortable although if I was to be picky there was no hairdryer and there were few power sockets for charging laptops and phones. Restaurant was just ok... wasnt overly impressed with the food - was trying to be something quite high-brow and was failing. Eat elsewhere but for a great night's sleep and some comfort. I'd really recommend The Berkley. I'll definitely be back

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations when providing service. We will discuss your comments and make adjustments accordingly. We look forward to having you back when visiting the Richmond area again.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel is clean and beautiful and the staff is attentive and pleasant. The view from the balconies is fantastic. The restaurant is incredible and has many types of dishes from which to choose. I loved it here and will stay here again on my trips to Richmond.

I used to stay at the 'big grand' hotel but the rooms are just getting shabby there; The Berkeley is in tip top shape.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful view. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our new fall menu; our Head Chef does a wonderful job of creating an experience for our guests. We look forward to your return visits in the future.