“Perhaps a lovely hotel, but not right for this family”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #8 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

After all the positive reviews of the Berkeley I approached our family get-away over Memorial Day weekend with some real anticipation. As a very frequent overseas traveler I had chosen to cash in some points for a premium room with two beds for our family of four. Having booked the room in January, I had also called the hotel twice in the intervening months and was told that my preference for a higher floor and a view away from the alley would be noted and, hopefully, accommodated. Of course I understood the limitations of traveling on points, however, having indicated that we would be four, and the ages of my (not-small) sons, I was very dismayed when I was told at check-in yesterday, May 24th, that we would be put in a room with a king-size and a roll-away bed. I refused to accept the accommodation from the hotel staff who was checking us in; it was only when she saw that I would not budge that she conceded and gave us the two-bed room I had originally reserved - facing an alley and on a lower floor.

We left after one night although we had reserved and paid for (with points) two.

I was surprised at the superior attitude of the staff checking us in
- and as a very frequent business traveler, this is something I happily
do not come across often. On the plus side the room, although small, was nicely appointed, the beds were very comfortable and the housekeeping and valet staff were delightful. On the downside, while in the bathroom one could very clearly hear the conversation of a very animated couple of women, courtesy of the acoustics provided by the air vent. Weird, to say the least.

In sum next time we are in the Richmond area we will return to the Westin.

If you do stay at the Berkeley, avoid room 302.

Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank MaryGL6016
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

I sincerely apologize for your experience at The Berkeley. Hospitality is an art intended to leave a positive lasting impression; however, we failed to deliver during your stay. I do not have your contact information, but would love the opportunity to invite you back to the hotel. Please contact me directly should you consider returning.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to have a quaint getaway, not too far from home. We chose a nice breakfast and valet package at The Berkley Hotel, which was reasonably priced. From calling to make the reservation to check out, the service was exceptional. The room was wonderful, stocked with plenty of amenities. The hotel was, also, stocked with extra amenities in case guests forgot toiletries, like we did. We went down to breakfast and the food receives positive marks as well! We decided to take a canal cruise downtown Richmond and the young lady at the front desk was so helpful and accommodating in helping us plan our morning, giving us directions and suggest a late check out. We had such a great time, my boyfriend asked why I didn't book another night! We'd definitely choose The Berkeley Hotel for another awesome weekend!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

It is great to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Since you were unable to join us for the second night, maybe you will visit us and Richmond again soon in the near future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The location was perfect, just 3 blocks from where I needed to go. From the outside, it seems like it's going to be a very nice, throwback, old school nice place. It's attractive and cozy enough and all of that, but they have a couple of big problems. The front desk clerk who checked me in took an eon. It took so long, it was bizarre. There was no line and absolutely nothing else going on so it's not like I caught them at a bad time. The reservation the desk clerk asked me to sign had a different rate than what I booked and pre-paid on Orbitz -- She tried to blame Orbitz for that but I know from experience at other hotels that she had made an entirely new reservation at a different rate, then tried to tell me that hadn't happened. I booked a King, was given 2 double beds, ok, whatever. I do think I may have been downgraded from the reservation I made, unless their premium rooms have an alley view of a fire escape and brick building 6 feet away from the window. If that is a Premium room, they need to re-label them so either way, not cool. I tried calling the desk later hoping to deal with someone else, but she answered and gave me the same bogus story. Unfortunately on checkout, it was the same clerk -- she had changed something in the reservation after I checked in but It still doesn't look right. Again, checking out took forever -- maybe 15-20 minutes even though I was the only person there. I now must check my AMEX bill to make sure I haven't been overcharged. I never got a satisfactory explanation for the different rates, just told not to worry about it essentially because they have no control over what rates Orbitz quotes and what their confirmation says and that my cc statement will reflect what their folio did not. FWIW, I've never had this problem in 10 years of using Orbitz. She implied it was my fault for booking on Orbitz -- of course the Orbitz rate was $45 cheaper than what I could get directly from their website.
I asked for restaurant recommendations -- was told their restaurant was the best in the area. It was very average and some of my food wasn't even hot. The parking valet on checkout was a little clueless, didn't offer to help with luggage, open trunk while my hands were full -- just weird for a place that advertises AAA 4 diamonds. The bartender/waitress in the restaurant was very pleasant and gracious, that's about the best thing I can say.

Room Tip: Ask not to look into the alley -- very poor view for a "premium room"
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AGMathis

Thank you for letting us know of your experience with us. Your stay is not typical for our guest experiences and we will take your response as a training opportunity. We strive to ensure each of our guests have an enjoyable stay with us and I sincerely apologize that this was not the case during your stay.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was our first trip to The Berkeley in several years. It is a small hotel with a friendly, helpful staff. The location is stellar - very close to great restaurants and bars. Our room was on the small side and they were resistant to giving us a larger room (probably because of our low rate) and the view was nothing worth commenting on. We were toward the back of the hotel and could hear the traffic below. The bed was comfortable with nice linens (although not Frette as stated on the website). The bathroom was fairly large with nice Gilchrist and Soames amenities. All in all, this is a nice hotel. The restaurant did not seem to be crowded and the prices on the menu seemed a little high. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I cannot provide input on this because my room was not as I would have liked.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NCSmokey
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are a very unique property in that no two rooms are completely the same. I do hope you will stay with us again when you return to Richmond to get a chance to experience a different room type.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

A beautiful, small, lovely hotel. So much nicer than a standard chain hotel for the same or less money. Rooms feel very well- kept and clean with some amount of character. The room was plenty large enough for 2 adults and 2 kids. It turns out that valet parking your car is worth it since it costs $21/night, and the self-park garage one block away is also $21/night. This seems to be a neighborhood for evening bar/restaurant hopping, which isn't something to take advantage of if you have little kids, but the hotel provides a lovely stay nonetheless.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank perachdavida
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words. It seems like you were able to take advantage of what the hotel and the area has to offer.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Small hotel in the art and food heart of Richmond. Perfect place to stay if you are going to the theatre. Staff very pleasant. Restaurant seemed empty or closed during my brief stay. Not a very big lobby area--this is really a small hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nianqua
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Great place to stay in Richmond. Definitely get the 6th floor balcony room as it was amazing just to sit out under the stars and have a glass or two of wine. Beds are very comfy, with elegantly romantic touches throughout the room. Stay here with confidence, and park at the local lot for $4-6 a day.

Room Tip: 604 & 605 share a balcony on the top floor - which was great for our wine weekend with our frien...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bretinpoland
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you so much for your 5 Star Review! Wine and romance are two things we do quite well. I am glad to hear you and your friends had a memorable stay with us.