“Could have been good”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This could have been a great hotel to recommend. It is small, clean, centrally located, friendly staff, valet parking. Everything that you would want. We have actually stayed there a few times. So why rate it a 1? Here is my story.

I booked 4 rooms for my son's graduation: my room, my mothers, my sisters and my father-in-laws.

When I checked out, I paid for my room and my mother's. My sister and my father-in-law paid for their room separately.

Three weeks later my father-in-law called me and said that he was billed for his room, my sisters's room and the hotel said it was going to charge him for my mother's too. How embarrassing for us all.

I called my sister, who insisted that she checked out correctly. She called the hotel. No problem they said they would straighten it out. They didnt. They gave my father-in-law the wrong credit.

It was so simply but the hotel has caused us nothing but issues trying to sort this out. Really?

So I give the hotel a B+ for every thing but an F for their accounting.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Wil_from_Va
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to make management aware of this issue. I am sorry we were unable to apply correct billing during your stay. It is unfortunate that this mistake put a damper on your stay. I will be sure to discuss with the staff so that this issue does not occur again in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a special occasion. It was very beautiful! We stayed in the governor's room and we were very pleased with the quality of the room. Room service was sometimes a bit slow. We had asked for towels and my husband had to go on a search for them. Breakfast was delightful!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our boutique property has always been a favorite for honeymoon's and anniversaries. I hope we will see you again when your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I spent a Friday night at the hotel. Upon arriving, the valet section was full so I had to drive around many blocks for 10 mts. My room was on the 2nd floor facing the street and it was a bit noisy. For some reason, the hit water was not working in the shower in the evening and morning (sink did have hot water). It was not freezing but I did to jump in and out. The AC is fixed at 68 so if you like the room cooler (I do) you are out of luck. The lobby was 3-4 chairs in front of reception - you need to stay in your room or go out - there is no place to hang out that I saw. The net net is I am sure I could have picked a better place (you can to).

Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let management know about your experience. Our boutique property located in the heart of downtown offers an intimate setting on a busy city block. I have informed my team of the issues you have encountered so that we can correct them for future visitors. I do hope you will try us again when in the area.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The hotel is really nice, everything one expects from a 4 star hotel. We stayed for a weekend, and had tickets for a performance at the Carpenter's theater. The location is great if you want to be in the city, the room we got was quiet, clean and really comfortable. The downside? Seemed to me the hotel was catering mainly to business travelers, who would stay there during the week. NO gym on Sundays, or a swimming pool. To be fair, the hotel provides access to a private athletic club, a block away, so they have no control over the work hours. BUT also their room-service hours are odd. If you were hoping to get food in your room on a Sunday, better check with them when exactly you can do so, we had to go out to for lunch, although we really wanted to just stay in the room and enjoy a few hours of quiet before the evening plans.
Oh, well, I guess this is the southern way of life, very few places are open on Sundays... all-in-all, we did have a very good stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

After all the positive reviews of the Berkeley I approached our family get-away over Memorial Day weekend with some real anticipation. As a very frequent overseas traveler I had chosen to cash in some points for a premium room with two beds for our family of four. Having booked the room in January, I had also called the hotel twice in the intervening months and was told that my preference for a higher floor and a view away from the alley would be noted and, hopefully, accommodated. Of course I understood the limitations of traveling on points, however, having indicated that we would be four, and the ages of my (not-small) sons, I was very dismayed when I was told at check-in yesterday, May 24th, that we would be put in a room with a king-size and a roll-away bed. I refused to accept the accommodation from the hotel staff who was checking us in; it was only when she saw that I would not budge that she conceded and gave us the two-bed room I had originally reserved - facing an alley and on a lower floor.

We left after one night although we had reserved and paid for (with points) two.

I was surprised at the superior attitude of the staff checking us in
- and as a very frequent business traveler, this is something I happily
do not come across often. On the plus side the room, although small, was nicely appointed, the beds were very comfortable and the housekeeping and valet staff were delightful. On the downside, while in the bathroom one could very clearly hear the conversation of a very animated couple of women, courtesy of the acoustics provided by the air vent. Weird, to say the least.

In sum next time we are in the Richmond area we will return to the Westin.

If you do stay at the Berkeley, avoid room 302.

Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank MaryGL6016
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

I sincerely apologize for your experience at The Berkeley. Hospitality is an art intended to leave a positive lasting impression; however, we failed to deliver during your stay. I do not have your contact information, but would love the opportunity to invite you back to the hotel. Please contact me directly should you consider returning.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to have a quaint getaway, not too far from home. We chose a nice breakfast and valet package at The Berkley Hotel, which was reasonably priced. From calling to make the reservation to check out, the service was exceptional. The room was wonderful, stocked with plenty of amenities. The hotel was, also, stocked with extra amenities in case guests forgot toiletries, like we did. We went down to breakfast and the food receives positive marks as well! We decided to take a canal cruise downtown Richmond and the young lady at the front desk was so helpful and accommodating in helping us plan our morning, giving us directions and suggest a late check out. We had such a great time, my boyfriend asked why I didn't book another night! We'd definitely choose The Berkeley Hotel for another awesome weekend!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

It is great to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Since you were unable to join us for the second night, maybe you will visit us and Richmond again soon in the near future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The location was perfect, just 3 blocks from where I needed to go. From the outside, it seems like it's going to be a very nice, throwback, old school nice place. It's attractive and cozy enough and all of that, but they have a couple of big problems. The front desk clerk who checked me in took an eon. It took so long, it was bizarre. There was no line and absolutely nothing else going on so it's not like I caught them at a bad time. The reservation the desk clerk asked me to sign had a different rate than what I booked and pre-paid on Orbitz -- She tried to blame Orbitz for that but I know from experience at other hotels that she had made an entirely new reservation at a different rate, then tried to tell me that hadn't happened. I booked a King, was given 2 double beds, ok, whatever. I do think I may have been downgraded from the reservation I made, unless their premium rooms have an alley view of a fire escape and brick building 6 feet away from the window. If that is a Premium room, they need to re-label them so either way, not cool. I tried calling the desk later hoping to deal with someone else, but she answered and gave me the same bogus story. Unfortunately on checkout, it was the same clerk -- she had changed something in the reservation after I checked in but It still doesn't look right. Again, checking out took forever -- maybe 15-20 minutes even though I was the only person there. I now must check my AMEX bill to make sure I haven't been overcharged. I never got a satisfactory explanation for the different rates, just told not to worry about it essentially because they have no control over what rates Orbitz quotes and what their confirmation says and that my cc statement will reflect what their folio did not. FWIW, I've never had this problem in 10 years of using Orbitz. She implied it was my fault for booking on Orbitz -- of course the Orbitz rate was $45 cheaper than what I could get directly from their website.
I asked for restaurant recommendations -- was told their restaurant was the best in the area. It was very average and some of my food wasn't even hot. The parking valet on checkout was a little clueless, didn't offer to help with luggage, open trunk while my hands were full -- just weird for a place that advertises AAA 4 diamonds. The bartender/waitress in the restaurant was very pleasant and gracious, that's about the best thing I can say.

Room Tip: Ask not to look into the alley -- very poor view for a "premium room"