“Wouldn't have picked it”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 4 November 2008

I stayed at the Berkeley Hotel for a work meeting. The conference planners picked the hotel, and I do not recommend it.

For starters, the conference room on the main floor by the front desk has a very awkward setup. While we were meeting, the hotel staff had to walk past to set up the lunch buffet table. It was very distracting!

Also, the fire alarm went off at 4 a.m. Thankfully, it was a false alarm; however, the hotel did nothing to make up for the disturbance. (Not even an "I'm sorry" at checkout).

Finally, this hotel lacks services. It did not offer a reception seating area, morning coffee or a supplies store.

I've stayed in the Omni Hotel, which is located across the street, and much prefer it.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
BerkeleyGM, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2008

Dear rpost06-
I must apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay at the Berkeley. Our team was most dismayed to hear of your concerns and I must assure you that all of your points raised have been thoroughly reviewed and actioned where necessary- please accept my personal apology for the rude awakening at 4am. We respect your viewpoint and also thank you for your time in letting us know your true thoughts. We are a 4 diamond botique hotel that is limited by space- We have 3 meeting rooms that are designed to accomadate a variety of groups - Many meeting planners choose the room you were in due to the airy feeling and attractive views of Cary St- I am sorry it did not suit your needs.
On behalf of the whole team we would indeed welcome your return and hope that you may consider this in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 25 August 2008

My wife and I went for what was supposed to be a nice get away. The staff was very friendly, especially in the restaurant but the accomodations were the bare minimum for 4 Diamond. The room was okay but no extras, some items seemed dated. The noise at night from across the street is really bad. We found it hard to get any sleep. We could have stayed home with the kids. The restaurant was very empty. The lamb was good but the crab was horrible. Not what we remembered. The sea bass wasn't much better. Over kill on sauces/hollandaise. This was a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SandmanVirginia

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Berkeley Hotel. Although we never like to hear that one of our guests has had a less than stellar stay, we appreciate the opportunity to reflect on the issues and make the appropriate changes to ensure that we do not have similar occurances in the future. Please accept our most sincere apologies and know that your review is being used as tool for us to make improvements. We just finished a complete upgrade to our guest rooms- new mattresses, flat screen HDTVs, new furniture in the rooms as well as a complete face lift on our public areas. Thank you also for your feedback on your dining experience - it is important that we create a menu tha appeals to everyone- We would welcome you to contact our management team to further discuss any issues you may have and would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2008

"Look at the room before you bring in your luggage" a guest in the lobby suggested as we registered. We took her advice and would share the same suggestion with others. It was our anniversary get away and we had splurged to get a large room with a balcony. The young clerk at the desk handed us the sole key to the room - an old-fashioned metal key at that - and we went up to check out the room. Though the key turned in the lock the door did not open so we returned to the front desk, were given the key to another room which did open. Sadly, that room had two double beds, not the king size bed requested. Back down to the desk to request another room. The desk clerk asked the bellman to accompany us up to the first room - perhaps he could unlock it for us. It did open for him but the room had two double beds - again. He called the front desk and surprise - they weren't sure they could find a room available with a king size bed. A moment or two later we were looking at a smaller room than we'd originally booked, but it did have the king size bed and balcony and was quite nice. We accepted the smaller, lower priced room and happily settled in. Dinner reservations for the dining room at the Berkely proved interesting as well. We arrived at 7:30 to see only one other couple dining - not confidence inspiring, but we waited to be seated and hoped for the best. After waiting 5 minutes with no employee in sight I went to the front desk and asked them to call the restaurant and let them know we were there. The manager and a waitress both arrived rapidly and we were seated. Our meal and the service there were far above average - delicious food and generous portions - a pleasantly surprising experience. The hotel is in a great location, has tons of personality, but needs a little work.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tapasfans
Reviewed 29 June 2008

The hotel was one of the cheaper ones in the area, but still expensive compared to those out in rural areas. This was not unexpected though. Hotels in town tend to be more expensive. It has the feel of an old fashioned up-market hotel where service really matters. It was very clean and the staff very attentive and friendly. There was a slight mix-up with the car parking charge. We only had a car for one of the days that we stayed. We had taken it back to the car hire office by the second day and they attempted to charge for the second days parking. This was soon sorted out though when we explained.

Breakfast is not included and is quite expensive. I can recommend the 3rd Street Diner on the corner of 3rd Street and Main. It is about 10/15 minutes walk from the hotel and well worth the walk.

If I was ever in Richmond I would stay here again as it is in a very convenient location and is a nice hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2008

I was just a little wary anticipating my visit, due to some of the other reviews that talked about how the hotel needed to be renovated.

On my arrival, the front desk service was pleasant and efficient. I had asked about a quiet room on an upper floor. I was given a room on the second floor at check-in. I had been traveling all day and was just happy to have arrived, so said nothing and figured I would check out the room and perhaps it would be fine.

The room itself was very large -- with a huge bathroom. The room overlooked the street and every time a car went by on the cobblestone street it was very noticeable (thumpity thump, thump...) -- however I figured it might be kind of like white noise, so decided to stay in the room. That changed abruptly when I heard a cell phone ring and discovered it was from the adjoining room, and then began to hear murmurs of the ensuring conversation. That was enough to get me back down to the front desk.

The front desk was very eager to help alleviate my concerns. However, there were no other room available with king beds other than on their smoking floor. They encouraged me to check out a room there nonetheless with the caveat that from their experience, the smoke smell was not very strong. I decided to give it a shot, and, surprisingly, the smell was very minimal. After a minute or two, I could hardly smell it at all. The second room was a little smaller, but had a nice view and a balcony. As I was getting settled in, I got a call from the front desk. They wanted to let me know that they just realized they were expecting a guest to check in later that night in the next room over that had a young infant, and apologized, but thought perhaps I would want to move yet again. I thanked them for the call, and moved again.

The third room was just fine. A beautiful balcony and view. It was on the sixth (top) floor. The fourth, fifth and sixth floors sport views and many have balconies. The room was VERY quiet. The bed was perfectly comfortable and the room and bathroom were well appointed. Yes, as other reviewers mentioned, the decor is a bit dated, but everything was very clean and very comfortable. I noticed as well, that in the lobby there were photos of a planned renovation of the rooms. So that should satisfy those in need of rooms with the latest and greatest decor.

Overall I was thoroughly pleased with the Berkeley. It has an excellent location for restaurants and shops right outside the door. The service was excellent throughout my stay and should I be traveling back to Richmond again, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2008

An excellent hotel that is upscale without attitude. The staff is impeccable and the restaurant’s cuisine is superior. The Berkeley is located in the heart of Richmond’s historical district.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2008

My wife and I stayed here for a quick in-town getaway. In-laws kept the kids and we just needed some time away. I was surprised to find the Berkeley was fairly reasonable compared to the other decent hotels near downtown. It was much less than the Jefferson (of course) and about the same as the Omni. There also seemed to be plenty of availability. I was surprised because the Berkeley has been around for a long time in Richmond and has always been a great, well-known place.

Now I know why. The reservation and and check-in was great, the front desk even said the provided us with a free "upgrade" on our room. When we got to the room, here is a list of the things that bothered us: the toilet was broke (running constantly, but was just the valve in the tank which I was able to fix), a lamp didn't work, the hairdryer didn't work, a make-up mirror in the bathroom was falling off the wall, the crank for the window next to the balcony fell off in my hand, and the HVAC system sounded like a tank rolled through our room every time it cranked up. A wheel on a desk chair fell off when I sat in it. The decor was probably very good in the mid-eighties, very "old" Richmond with brass and patterned rugs, but looked real bad now.

This poor hotel is in desperate need of a remodel. It was once a fabulous place in Richmond, but has grown old. I wouldn't stay there again until I hear they have invested some significant money in updating everything.

Pros: location and not-too-expensive price
Cons: decor and getting old

Hope this helps everyone out there.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple