“A solid choice for a business traveler”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Ann Arbor
“A solid choice for a business traveler”
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Just returned from my 3rd stay at the Berkeley Hotel. The Berkeley begins with an excellent location. It is in the heart of Richmond, and is in close proximity to a variety of popular places.
The Staff at the Berkeley are always accomodating. From check in to valet to room service - they are friendly, informative and prompt.
Rooms at the Berkeley are nice. They are note huge in size but are clean and comfortable. One negative - the base blankets and comfortors are not substantial. I stayed during a cold spell, and found the room cold and the blankets lacking.
The hotel has one main restaurant. I have had breakfast there twice and found it nice.
The Berkeley does not have an onsite workout locations. However, it has an arrangement with a local fitness spot that allows visitors to gain access.
The hotel has free wifi, and the wifi has worked well for me each stay.

• Liked — Friendly accomodating staff
  • Disliked — The comforters on the beds are lacking on cold days
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Poughkeepsie, NY
Reviewed 19 January 2009

This is our second stay, and both times we have found the hotel to be charming -- really, our favorite hotel. The service is almost always good. The rooms are maybe smallish, but if you have a balcony (south and west) the views and the feeling are great. (Indeed, the whole hotel exudes the feeling of a small high-class European hotel.) I like the bar -- he poured a snifter of brandy the old-fashioned way (put the snifter on its side & fill), which gives you a nice-sized drink. Good service -- parking ($15/night extra) is safe and the car comes within about 10 minutes of asking.
Great location for restaurants.
On our last visit, the chef had just taken sick at breakfast, and so our omelets took about 20 minutes to arrive. The waitress and the maitre d' both apologized and both 'comped' us the breakfast. (The omelets were good -- and the next table's waffles smelled delicious.)

• Liked — the feel (and matching performance) of the hotel
  • Disliked — --
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Everywhere
Reviewed 7 January 2009

My husband and I went out for New Years Eve for the first time in 10 YEARS!!!! We chose the Berkley, we attended a small party with friends and later had a cozy evening (or morning, it was after midnight) in our room. The room was beautiful. We had a balcony that showed a great view of the city's skyline. Our bed was very comfortable and the water pressure in the shower ROCKED (I'm a sucker for a good shower). The room's size was perfect for the two of us and the flat screen TV made us feel at home. We took part in the New Year's Eve brunch the next day and were pleasantly satisfied with the hearty fare for a reasonable price. Although it was too cold to stroll around the area, we did take note that there were many restaurants from bars and hot dogs to upscale dining to choose from within walking distance. I think this is our new spot for New Year's Eve for years to come.

• Liked — Location and Cleanliness.
  • Disliked — Would prefer an earlier check in time.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luv2govroom
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 4 January 2009

We checked in to the beautiful, European-style hotel to the smell of the 4 course fishy-seafood smell of the New Year Eve dinner. The small foyer is accross from the restraunt in the hotel. I thought it odd that we were checking in to the aroma of that night's dinner. I should have taken it as an omen.

The small room was very clean, but the paper thin walls were immedietely noticable, even with us at the far end of the back side of the building. We were placed over the outside dumpsters, which were being filled noisely every couple of hours.

Getting back in from our New Year celebaration, we plopped into the comfy bed and were awakened by a horrible argument and altercation being held in the room across the hall from us. This was more than a small argument or dispute.

After calling the hotel front desk three times, we are extremely disappointed and traumatized with our stay.

A woman was clearly being assaulted in the room next door and the hotel would do absolutely nothing about it. We stepping in, and were close to calling the police over the incident.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay in such an unsafe, unfriendly, uncarring, anti-family, anti-femininst place!

While no "criminal activity" occured, we are horrified and traumatized by everything we overheard. We are shocked at the apathetic security gaurd and front desk staff at this hotel. We really thought that this man was going to kill this woman and can't forget the sounds of the incident that occured.

This is not a family friendly or romantic or safe place to stay.

We did not even get an apology from the front desk or manager. We have never stayed in such a place and hope no one will ever go through what we went through.

• Liked — clean room and clean bathroom
  • Disliked — the unsafe feeling we expeirenced and high noise level
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank fakee2717
BerkeleyGM, Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2009
I am most disturbed to hear about your stay at the Berkeley. I assure you we take everyone's safety very seriously. Our security guards are through a national company that does extensive and thorough training before anyone is placed at our property. Once assigned to the hotel they shadow a senior officer for 3 nights before taking over a shift on their own. We maintain daily logs that record any disturbances or complaints and what actions that were taken to resolve the incident. In addition the guards then go through our own 4 diamond training. I take your comments very seriously and I have done much investigation to get to the bottom of this event that occurred during your visit to the Berkeley Hotel, I do hope you will consider the Berkeley in the future or at the very least take the time to discuss these events with myself our another member of my management team.- please feel free to contact us anytime.
Richmond
Reviewed 1 January 2009

The Berkley Hotel is something Richmond should not be proud of and being from Richmond I do not and will not ever recommend this place! My boyfriend and I reserved a room for our New Years (2008-2009) celebrations and couldn't wait to stay there after looking at the pictures on the site and reading previous customer reviews. The pictures we saw on the website do not represent the rooms. The rooms are small and stuffy (way to much furniture for a hotel room) and a flat screen television and new linens is not the definition of “REMODEL”. If you are looking for peace and quiet…good luck! The doors are so thin you can hear everything and I mean EVERYTHING! But that’s nothing compared to what happened to us when we returned back to our room after celebrating our New Years Eve events. We came back to the room and when we put the key (yes a key, not a key card) in the lock, the key broke off in the lock. When I went to the front desk to let them know the key had broke off in the lock the staff member pointed the blame on me and then handed me a pair pliers and a letter opener to break into my room, yes you read that correctly. As I was walking away (fuming mad) they yelled for me to come back to the front for another key and rudely stated this was the last one they had and not to break it in the lock. Then they stated that if we could not get in the room they would put us some where else because maintenance would not come till the next day. I have a medical condition that requires medication and my medication was locked in our room. We got the broken part of the key out of the lock of our door but nothing was working to get the door open. As we still tried to break into our room at 230am our frustrations got the best of us and once again we approached the front desk with their next horrible solution of sending up a security guard that had no idea of what was going on and was not helpful at all. He was willing to let us climb up a fire escape that didn’t exist to get into our room. He told us he was going downstairs to get some mystery key and never came back. Someone from the front desk finally came up with the same keys the security guard had but had the idea that if we pulled the door towards us it would open. Not even close. They got back on the elevator and we sat there once again trying to break into our room. Finally someone from the front desk came up to tell us that maintenance would be there in 20 minutes and that we should wait and not mess with the door any more because we could damage it. Finally at 330am maintenance showed up and unlocked the door in less then 30 seconds. Maintenance should have been there at 2am when the key broke off in the locks!!! When it was time to check out that morning there was no comp, no discount and an apologize that fell on deaf ears. You would think that would be the end of the horrible experience but no. When leaving it seemed more important for the door man to keep his conversation going then to open the door and say, ”Thank you for staying!” I would recommend a Motel 6 before I would recommend this place!

• Stayed December 2008
3 Thank tltoth
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 November 2008

I stayed at the Berkeley Hotel for a work meeting. The conference planners picked the hotel, and I do not recommend it.

For starters, the conference room on the main floor by the front desk has a very awkward setup. While we were meeting, the hotel staff had to walk past to set up the lunch buffet table. It was very distracting!

Also, the fire alarm went off at 4 a.m. Thankfully, it was a false alarm; however, the hotel did nothing to make up for the disturbance. (Not even an "I'm sorry" at checkout).

Finally, this hotel lacks services. It did not offer a reception seating area, morning coffee or a supplies store.

I've stayed in the Omni Hotel, which is located across the street, and much prefer it.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
BerkeleyGM, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2008
Dear rpost06-
I must apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay at the Berkeley. Our team was most dismayed to hear of your concerns and I must assure you that all of your points raised have been thoroughly reviewed and actioned where necessary- please accept my personal apology for the rude awakening at 4am. We respect your viewpoint and also thank you for your time in letting us know your true thoughts. We are a 4 diamond botique hotel that is limited by space- We have 3 meeting rooms that are designed to accomadate a variety of groups - Many meeting planners choose the room you were in due to the airy feeling and attractive views of Cary St- I am sorry it did not suit your needs.
On behalf of the whole team we would indeed welcome your return and hope that you may consider this in the not so distant future.
Virginia
Reviewed 25 August 2008

My wife and I went for what was supposed to be a nice get away. The staff was very friendly, especially in the restaurant but the accomodations were the bare minimum for 4 Diamond. The room was okay but no extras, some items seemed dated. The noise at night from across the street is really bad. We found it hard to get any sleep. We could have stayed home with the kids. The restaurant was very empty. The lamb was good but the crab was horrible. Not what we remembered. The sea bass wasn't much better. Over kill on sauces/hollandaise. This was a disappointing experience.

• Liked — My wife liked the color pallet in the room
  • Disliked — nothing special
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SandmanVirginia
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Berkeley Hotel. Although we never like to hear that one of our guests has had a less than stellar stay, we appreciate the opportunity to reflect on the issues and make the appropriate changes to ensure that we do not have similar occurances in the future. Please accept our most sincere apologies and know that your review is being used as tool for us to make improvements. We just finished a complete upgrade to our guest rooms- new mattresses, flat screen HDTVs, new furniture in the rooms as well as a complete face lift on our public areas. Thank you also for your feedback on your dining experience - it is important that we create a menu tha appeals to everyone- We would welcome you to contact our management team to further discuss any issues you may have and would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again in the future.