“The Berkeley is magical.”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #8 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 18 August 2009

My husband booked a room for us on our wedding night at the Berkeley. I was in heaven! Walking in is like taking a step back in time. First of all it has a great location, right in Shockoe Slip. There is history all around you. The service was phenomenal. No one complained when we wanted to bring all of our gifts up to our room and open them right then! When you walk into your room classical music is playing. We got a fantastic room with a huge balcony/patio overlooking the city of Richmond. Put simply it was magical!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 August 2009

The hotel was soo nice! It had the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. The hotel had tons of charm, and has the best location. My husband and I walked everywhere around the city. The hotel was clean and completely updated. I highly recommend this hotel and will be staying here every time we visit Richmond!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2009

In the middle of a two day business trip, I had a flat tire at 10:30 p.m. on my way back to the hotel after visiting with friends. As it turned out, when the tire blew, a piece of it punctured my fuel tank. Needless to say, this was an incredibly stressful situation, particularly for a woman traveling alone. I ended up having to stay two extra days at the hotel while I waited for my car to be repaired.

During that time, the hotel staff, Starlett, Matthew, Belah and TJ took amazing care of me. They did everything from trying to change the tire, to checking on my well-being each time I saw them, to offering me all kinds of options to make my stay easier. They truly took a really bad situation and made it not so bad.

Plus the hotel and my room were really beautiful, the food and service at the restaurant was excellent, and their Business Plans are great deals This is definitely THE place to stay in downtown Richmond!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2009

The Berkeley Hotel is a small hotel located in the historic district (Shockoe Slip). The room was spacious, the staff helpful and friendly, and the location perfect for casual sightseeing and good food. The price was right too. Great stay.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2009

My wife, son and I stayed here at the beginning of a spring break trip to Cape Charles on the eastern shore. Our van had 3 bikes and a kayak piled on the top. Staff found good parking beside the hotel and later helpfully moved bikes, kayak and van to a secure lot overnight. We checked in early to a comfortable and quiet room, then walked to Millies for lunch and then up to Patrick Henry's Liberty or Death church, and then back to the hotel for a bike ride to the civil war museum and Belle Isle. I like the hotel and the location, and recommend it even for people without bikes and kayaks.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2009

The location is perfect for the federal court house. The rooms are large enough to use for a small business meeting and witness preparation. We used the business center to prepare new trial exhibits. Before leaving for court, we had a large breakfast at a very reasonable price. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We'll stay here every time we're in court in Richmond.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent two-night stay at the Berkeley. Our room had a huge balcony, which added even more "living space" to our comfortable room. Numerous reviews referenced the great hotel staff . . . and they were. We expressed an interest in the hotel restaurant's fixed-price dinner menu available between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. and made a 6:30 reservation. We subsequently changed it to a later time, knowing we would forego the good deal. But no, the desk staff had passed along our preference to order off the fixed menu and it was still available to us. We were very surprised -- and pleased -- and enjoyed a delicious dinner. The hotel is also ideally situated in Shockoe Slip -- many fun restaurants and shops, a good selection of live music for all age groups. The newly-renovated Capitol is just a short walk away, as is the White House of the Confederacy and other historic sites. The Berkeley is a great choice for a sightseeing visit to Richmond.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple