“Avoid the chains and stay where it counts!”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Northern VA
“Avoid the chains and stay where it counts!”
Reviewed 5 September 2009

Whenever my husband and I travel to Richmond, this is our hotel of choice. The service is excellent, the staff is personable, and the rooms are comfortable and tastefully decorated. This small hotel offers everything the big boys do, but they are so much better at it. Not having a ton of rooms stacked 10+ stories high like other hotels, the uniqueness and warmth you feel at The Berkeley as soon as you walk into the lobby is genuine. How many hotels can you walk out onto your own private balcony and enjoy coffee first thing in the morning or late at night? While we've not eaten dinner there, we have had breakfast and it was wonderful. The dining area is small but that adds to the charm. For a few dollars more than the OMNI which is right across the street, it is totally worth it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 22 August 2009

From the moment you arrive in Richmond until your departure, the staff at the Berkeley act as though they sincerely enjoy your presence in the hotel and go out of their way to make sure you feel welcomed.

The hotel is conveniently located in the river district known as Shockoe Slip and within walking distance is the heart of the business district, the General Assembly and all the points of interest you would want to see in downtown Richmond.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Colonial Heights, Virginia
Reviewed 18 August 2009

My husband booked a room for us on our wedding night at the Berkeley. I was in heaven! Walking in is like taking a step back in time. First of all it has a great location, right in Shockoe Slip. There is history all around you. The service was phenomenal. No one complained when we wanted to bring all of our gifts up to our room and open them right then! When you walk into your room classical music is playing. We got a fantastic room with a huge balcony/patio overlooking the city of Richmond. Put simply it was magical!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Homestead, Fl.
Reviewed 14 August 2009

The hotel was soo nice! It had the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. The hotel had tons of charm, and has the best location. My husband and I walked everywhere around the city. The hotel was clean and completely updated. I highly recommend this hotel and will be staying here every time we visit Richmond!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed 13 August 2009

In the middle of a two day business trip, I had a flat tire at 10:30 p.m. on my way back to the hotel after visiting with friends. As it turned out, when the tire blew, a piece of it punctured my fuel tank. Needless to say, this was an incredibly stressful situation, particularly for a woman traveling alone. I ended up having to stay two extra days at the hotel while I waited for my car to be repaired.

During that time, the hotel staff, Starlett, Matthew, Belah and TJ took amazing care of me. They did everything from trying to change the tire, to checking on my well-being each time I saw them, to offering me all kinds of options to make my stay easier. They truly took a really bad situation and made it not so bad.

Plus the hotel and my room were really beautiful, the food and service at the restaurant was excellent, and their Business Plans are great deals This is definitely THE place to stay in downtown Richmond!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 August 2009

The Berkeley Hotel is a small hotel located in the historic district (Shockoe Slip). The room was spacious, the staff helpful and friendly, and the location perfect for casual sightseeing and good food. The price was right too. Great stay.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
bethesda
Reviewed 12 June 2009

My wife, son and I stayed here at the beginning of a spring break trip to Cape Charles on the eastern shore. Our van had 3 bikes and a kayak piled on the top. Staff found good parking beside the hotel and later helpfully moved bikes, kayak and van to a secure lot overnight. We checked in early to a comfortable and quiet room, then walked to Millies for lunch and then up to Patrick Henry's Liberty or Death church, and then back to the hotel for a bike ride to the civil war museum and Belle Isle. I like the hotel and the location, and recommend it even for people without bikes and kayaks.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family