“Quiet, Picturesque, Charming”

Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Norfolk, Virginia
“Quiet, Picturesque, Charming”
Reviewed 23 February 2011

The staff was extremely friendly. The rooms were big and very comfortable. Everyone was so patient. Everything was clean and soooo quiet. Was in a great location with wonderful restaurants nearby and shopping places in Shockoe Slip. The Sunday Brunch was delicious. Definitely well worth it!! Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snorkel0728

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 February 2011

The desk clerk and valet were the nicest I've encountered at any hotel. They were very thoughtful and courteous. They seemed eager to help. I was left with a very positive view of the hotel and of Richmond. Also, my room was very spotlessly clean and comfortable. I'm kind of persnickety, so I normally keep my socks on when staying in a hotel, but here I felt comfortable in bare feet. The bed was nicer than my mattress at home. I was on the second floor on a Friday night and slept soundly.

The only negative thing I can think of is one piddly detail: The laminated TV channel guide, which was left on a nightstand, was not up to date. In all, I had a delightful stay and would definitely recommend this hotel. I greatly appreciated how nice and thoughtful the staff were during my brief stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank panchomancho
New Jersey
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Small intimate hotel. Staff is excellent. Great food. in house..Nice local eateries..

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Purcellville, Virginia, USA
Reviewed 21 January 2011

I have to say this was the best hotel experience I have ever had with the most courteous and helpful staff I have had the pleasure to interact with. From the valet that greeted me as if I were a VIP, through the front desk staff that had my gorgeous room ready hours early, to the waiters in the restaurant that made sure every detail of my experience was perfect; to the housekeepers that knew my name and made sure my room was clean/made to my liking I give this hotel 6 STARS.
Food was excellent, service unbelievable, and the walking convenience to everything I needed in downtown Richmond was phenomenal. I will only stay here from now on and can't wait to bring the family.
All this for a moderate price. Don't miss this one!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 19 January 2011

What a wonderfully unpretentious luxury hotel. Top notch staff, good beds and good food in the dining room.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Teasnob
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I travel a lot. This time happened to be with my very spoilt and fussy teenage son. I had seen this hotel a few times so I finally decided to give it a try. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. The suite we had was exquisite. Clean with a beautiful decor. For the price I paid, the room was superb. The staff amazing, well informed, kind, but most of all very welcoming, a rarity these days. The piece de resistence was the food. As I mentioned I stay in hotels a lot and even good hotel food is usually only ok. Well this food could be compared to any five star restaurant. WOW! I had the lamb and my son the crab cakes. This hotel reminded me of the hotels I usually stay in New York or Paris. I will be back very soon.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ggroszman
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 4 January 2011

This was our third time staying at the Berkeley and each time is a pleasure. The rooms (the two we've stayed in) were unique and spacious. There is a nice "old school" character to the building although it is actually relatively new. The location is great, easy to get on and off Interstate 95 and easy access to Shockoe Bottom and downtown Richmond. One day we visited Monticello and the next day Colonial Williamsburg.

Each staff person we encountered was friendly and helpful. We also had a great meal in the restaurant. We definitely plan to stay here again on our way through Richmond. It's a lovely surprise.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family