“Downtown gem” 4 of 5 bubbles

Linden Row Inn
Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
“Downtown gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

I booked one of the parlor suites for my boyfriend's birthday and was pleasantly surprised to find we had the Mary Wingfield Scott Suite-the nicest one! It is the one most frequently requested by honeymoon couples. The decor was lovely & tasteful with a beautiful king sleigh bed. My boyfriend absolutely loved it and I got lots of kudos!
The overall cleanliness score was high, but there were a few maintenance issues. The bathtub faucet broke off in my hand (I was still able to take a shower but I had to move the faucet by the bolt) and the hairdryer was broken. Also, for what it's worth the TV was absolutely miniature! Not that watching TV should be so big a deal in such a posh & romantic room but it should be visible! Also I felt that for the premium these nicer rooms cost the amenities should be better quality-more towels & a bathrobe, please.
The staff seemed pleasant but very very young to be dealing with the issues that can come up at night. We liked the free shuttle service but it didnt show up on time for our dinner reservation time as requested.
Despite minor problems we definitely plan to return next birthday!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of the Linden Row Inn. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Mary Wingfield Scott Parlour Suite, and apologize for some of the inconveniences you faced during your stay.

We appreciate your feedback on areas for improvement, and will certainly incorporate your suggestions into our ongoing efforts to enhance the guest experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

We've been staying at the Linden Row for 4 years now. It is unmatched in charm and ambiance of old Richmond. From the brick-walled courtyard with garden rooms and a beautiful fountain, to the glimmers of Poe's ghost from days gone by (he played in the courtyard as a child, and lived next door), it's just a romantic stay. When our daughter graduates from VCU, I will still make trips to Richmond just to stay at the Linden Row.

Room Tip: Our favorite room is 314 in the Main House - a King-sized bed, great TV for the husband, and right n...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for making the Linden Row Inn your preferred hotel in Richmond. We've enjoyed hosting you over the past four years and look forward to continue welcoming you back in the years to come!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

My husband and I only stayed here one night but feel the place could use some improvements. The location is great and we were happy that they provide valet parking (for a fee). Our first room was huge but the mattress was very saggy. When we tried to watch some TV we were unable to get all the channels that were promised through Comcast. Someone cam up to our room to help us but was unable to fix the problem. We were moved to a new room and expereinced the same problem. The person at the front desk didn't really seem to care that this was an inconvenience and didn't offer any sort of compensation. We didn't want to have to move again so we stayed put. The mattress was very old and sagging. I have a bad back so didn't get a good night's sleep. Continental breakfast was sub-par. Boring food from the grocery store which was a disappointment.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Koko L
Thank you for taking the time to share constructive feedback on your stay at the Linden Row Inn.
We sincerely apologize for failing to meet expectations on some aspects of your stay with us.

Needless to say, we will be utilizing your feedback as part of our ongoing efforts to improve the guest experience.

We would like to make things up to you and invite you to contact our management office to discuss your stay in further detail.
thunder bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

I have travelled extensively throughout the world and believe I have realistic expectations and can give a fair review. I enjoyed my 6 day stay here immensely and would definitely return. It was a good price, the room was enormous and well equipped and the breakfast was more than adequate. The bathroom was almost spa-like and the bed and bedding were comfy and in good shape. Everything was extremely clean and smelled fresh, even though there were carpets in some areas. The "feel" of this Inn was really nice, not a typical hotel. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and the shuttle service and drivers were extremely accomodating. I walked almost everywhere in the evenings and found a number of great restaurants nearby as well as a place that delivered for free. I stopped at a number of hotels my colleagues were staying in and felt that I had lucked out with my choice. It was a true taste of Virginia and I would highly recommend it. The only complaint I can find is that the tv was a bit snowy, but I didn't have it on much so this was of no concern to me.

Room Tip: Some rooms over look the garden and people say they are quieter. Mine overlooked the street and I h...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wanderingjodi
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your praises of the Linden Row Inn. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your six day stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Indialantic, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

This trip to my old home town was to visit: my mother, sister, and brother-in-law; friends from high school (fiftieth reunion);a vet from Viet Nam; the sturgeons down under the Mayo bridge-they came to spawn in a much cleaner and clearer James River then I remember from 30 years ago.

This hotel was found because I am interested in historic buildings (family relatives of mine (Richard Adams's and John Adams) lived in this area in the latter part of the 1700's and through the 1800's). Location was central to all of life's needs and wants- art, food and drink, the YMCA which is a block's walk, and the City Library was just across the street. The valet service was quick (tipping seemed to be appreciated). Shuttle was available to the Virginia Museum and other places. Although I was not there for the weekend, during the week it is a perfect quiet place to work and rest. I spent three days working from my room using the internet which has good band width and connections. The staff answered all my questions and more, making me feel secure and informed. Since this was the time of your Folk Festival, time spent in the venues on the James were outstanding and the public broadcast had some of those performances on the radio. I would stay at the Linden Rowe on my next visit. Thanks.
I did read your other reviews and must have stayed in a completely different hotel from SAB81 from D.C. and am glad I did.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for selecting the Linden Row Inn during your recent visit to your old home town. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our history, location, services, and amenities. We look forward to seeing you on your next adventure!
Warsaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

At first I wasn't sure what to expect. I am used to a tradition hotel & its amenities so this was different than my usual experience. This inn has so much character & so much to offer. Everyone was pleasant &very helpful. The rooms were so cozy that I felt like room in a home rather than a hotel. It appears older & the television was questionable but I wasn't there to watch tv. The beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms very updated. Breakfast was continental but more than enough for me. I loved the quaint feeling. I could walk to many great places to explore & VCU was under a mile away. I strongly recommend this wonderful inn

Room Tip: I was in room 117 & not sure what the other rooms were like. But I would think very similar.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Linden Row Inn. Many of our guests consider our property to be their "home away from home" and so we are pleased to hear that you too found our property to be cozy and convenient. We look forward to hosting you again soon!
Washington, Dc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

My husband and I (30 years old) stayed there for just one night - thank God. My husband had booked a suite - but as other people have already explained, the pictures on the webpage are totally misleading.

The place is simply badly managed:

First of all, our sheets had HUGE stains on them and they were thinned out from being used and washed too often. When I told the lady at the reception, she did barely look up from her desk but just called someone from housekeeping to exchange the sheets - she's probably used to hearing that every day so she didn't even bother anymore. Oh, of course she didn't apologize for it either, since this is probably so everyday for her...BTW: There were also other huge stains on the little bench in front of the bed and they looked pretty disgusting....

The mattress was awful!! An old spring mattress on spring boxes makes a really wobbly construction. Every time he moved, I "jumped". There was simply no way for my husband and I to sleep in this bed together. Thank God there was the couch....

The couches looked pretty new, all the rest though just seemed as if it was collected from a dumbster. I like old furniture, but just not shabby stuff with huge scratches and locks missing...I had the impression that it had not been updated (and dusted) for a long time!

The only thing we really appreciated was the renovated (very clean) bathroom with nice towels.

Oh, just FYI: We were advised to take out all things out of the car as there had been break-ins pretty frequently (and I could read about that from other reviews too)...

The breakfast the next morning was very average. Again, the room was not very clean and needs dusting!! The table and chairs are pretty worn out too.

Overall, a very poor impression - we will not be back!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank SAB81Washington_Dc
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Linden Row Inn. We were disappointed to read your review and sincerely apologize for failing to meet expectations during your stay.

As attested by the dozens of guests who have praised us on TripAdvisor, your experience was a real anomaly. We agree that the cleanliness and customer service issues you encountered are unacceptable, and have shared your feedback with the appropriate staff to ensure that these oversights are not repeated.

Regarding the condition of the furniture in your room, we would like to mention that many of the pieces in our Parlour Suites are original 19th century antiques and therefore may not be in immaculate condition.

We strive to ensure that every guest is satisfied with their stay, and we would very much like to find a way to make things up to you. We have attempted to contact you to discuss your experience in further detail, and we do hope that we can make amends.