“Frustrated.”
Review of Linden Row Inn

Linden Row Inn
Ranked #6 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel a couple of times. he first time it was lovely. Great room, airy, view of the courtyard. Basic amenities but charming. I had to come back to Richmond for business so I called the hotel direct and asked for the same room. The told me that the one above was available so I booked that one as they said it was the same layout. When I got to the hotel the room was not available and instead I was given a room that was almost the opposite of what I was expecting, dark, a little dingy, one window looking out onto a wall. I told the front desk manager that I wasn't happy but they were full and no other rooms were available. I was also given two different excuses as to why my preferred room wasn't available. They allowed me to cancel my second night reservation for no charge as I wanted to find another hotel. I appreciated that gesture and they also tried to find another room by swapping out reservations for people who had not arrived. However that might well have created the same problem for someone else. So I declined.
My problem here is that I had phoned the hotel direct and asked for a room specifically. I was told it was available so I presumed that having made that reservation it would have been reserved. Sounds like the old Seinfeld episode with car reservations. I would not have been upset if I had booked via a booking website as in that case I think the rooms are just randomly allocated.
It is a lovely hotel, in a great spot, a little worn but that is part of its charm. It just might need to have some attention paid to the booking.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

On behalf of all of us at the Linden Row Inn, we wanted to apologize for your experience at our historic property. While we are unable to guarantee room assignments, we do make a best effort to accommodate specific room assignment requests, especially from regular guests who have stayed in a particular room in the past.

Regarding your particular situation, our team was forced to change your room assignment due to changes in the timeline for renovation work occurring near the requested room. Unfortunately, given the nature of the work (refinishing and staining of the deck on the entire floor), it would have been impossible for you to have accessed the room on the dates comprising your stay.

It pains us to have to read about your disappointing experience. We have reached out to you to make amends and hope that you will consider a future stay at our property under better circumstances.

There are newer reviews for Linden Row Inn

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel is actually a set of joined row houses - it's beautiful to look at on the outside, and the outside is a good indication of what you'll get on the inside, which is a well-preserved, historic hotel, with rather stiff Victorian furniture. Aside from the formality, however, this hotel is very comfortable and pretty affordable.

The historical significance of the property will probably be a draw for any fan of Richmond's favorite morose poet, Edgar Allen Poe. He was a frequent visitor when the row houses were still private residences and courted his first girlfriend in that very courtyard. (I'll just interject here and say that the Edgar Allen Poe museum is well worth a visit, and Poe's Pub, which is just down the road from the museum, had fabulous burgers.)

We had a room for 4 with two double beds, which is frankly a bit cramped these days for 4 average adults. There's also a lot of big, period-esque furniture, but that adds to the overall ambiance, as well as the overall cramped-ness. The bathroom was a nice size, though, and the floor to ceiling windows let in plenty of light. The beds are rather... springy.

Included with the rate is breakfast, which is quite tasty. It's your usual assortment of pastries, muffins, and cereals with waffles or scrambled eggs. It just feels a bit more fancy, though, because you eat in a dedicated (and gorgeous) breakfast room on real plates, with real silverware.

There were two moderate drawbacks, which I figure is only worth knocking off one star, because they're both pretty easily dealt with.

The first is the area in which the hotel is located. It's a decent neighborhood with lots of photo opportunities, but it's a bit remote from the heart of the city and a lot of the attractions that people come to see. It's definitely not within walking distance, which means you'll need to drive to pretty much everything but a few local restaurants (which were excellent.) I'd also recommend a tad bit more than the usual amount of caution if you're going to be walking around that area of Broad Street after dark.

Which brings me to the second and perhaps bigger drawback. Parking. Specifically, there's not any, at least not very near the hotel itself. You have two options: park on the street, or use the valet, which is $24 per day. If you choose to park on the street, you might be in for a good walk, and if you're coming and going later in the evening...well, that's up to you. As for the valet, we only stayed 3 days, so the added $72 was not a huge deal-breaker for us. It would have been if we were staying for the week. And since most people choose the valet option, actually getting your vehicle can be a slow process on some mornings, in excess of 20 minutes. They recommend you call down 20 minutes in advance to have your car ready, but you can still wait another 15-20 minutes on top of that, if they are busy. We didn't have a whole lot planned, so it wasn't a huge inconvenience for us, but if you're in a hurry or you have a plane to catch, be warned.

Overall, it's a very nice historic hotel. There are some luxuries, like the breakfast and the VERY nice little courtyard and the sitting room, but this is not a modern chain hotel. There's no fitness center, no Playstation for the kids, or a snack bar in the lobby, or a pool. You can often book good deals directly through the hotel's website - we got our room for $112 per night. There are a number of good restaurants nearby - do try Tarrant's Cafe. It's a BIT on the pricey side (not terribly) but the pizza is amazing.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Erin O

Thank you for your detailed review of the Linden Row Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We did want to take a moment to clarify that the row homes that comprise Linden Row Inn today were not yet built when a young Edgar Allan Poe played in the garden where the property now sits.

We also felt that it would be helpful for future guests to know that our valet parking charge is actually $12/night including unlimited in/out privileges.

Finally, we are pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary continental breakfast. The breakfast currently includes hard-boiled eggs, along with hot waffles, fresh oatmeal, toast, bagels, danish, cereal, coffee, tea, milk, and fresh fruit.

We appreciate your review and look forward to hosting you in the future!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Linden Row Inn Is a charming, historical place to stay when visiting downtown Richmond. I have stayed there multiple times over the years since it opened in the 1980's. I highly recommend this Inn. Wonderful staff!

Room Tip: All the rooms are terrific. They are very spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for selecting the Linden Row Inn as your preferred hotel in Richmond for the past 20+ years. We appreciate your support and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

its a nice historic property and a nice change from cookie cutter chain properties.The front desk was pleasant and helpful.My car was ready within minutes of calling for it.The room was a nice size and clean.The bed was very comfortable.The bathroom was large-enough shelf space to spread out .Its in downtown and close to several restaurants.The breakfast was very nice and in a pleasant room.There is a nice courtyard to wander around in.As I was doing a civil war crawl,it was a bonus to stay in a building that was around during the time period.I would definitely return.wi fi worked with no problem.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank bdi123

Thank you for your review! We hope to host you again in the near future!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

A quaint Inn with a touch of history to it. The reception is a bit small but friendly enough. although you have to have the right staff on duty to get the right answers. rooms were clean and comfortable although the noise of the air con from the room below was disturbing. A downside was our friends had a settee and a fridge and it appears this was the only fridge on the premises. bearing in mind we paid the same price for both rooms, I have notified the hotel direct that either there should be a difference in price or each room should provide the same. Breakfast was good and nice to sit alfresco in the morning. Hotel provides a shuttle bus which they tell you on arrival and it is mot helpful unless the reception forget to tell the driver on pickup from downtown. A comfortable stay but not sure if I would stay again

Room Tip: Make sure you know what the room provides before booking
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gordonmaximus

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback on our historic property.

We do apologize for placing you in a room that was slightly different from that of your friends. We have a handful of rooms with refrigerators and/or microwave ovens (available upon request for an additional charge). It appears that we provided a complimentary upgrade to your friends to one of those rooms.

We appreciate the feedback and hope that we will get the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I saw this hotel on line and read the reviews but they must have been talking about another hotel!!! This hotel has great promise if someone could do it completely over!!! The whole place needs painting and all the rugs need to go. The furniture is so worn out and dirty!! The hotel needs a good cleaning!!!!!!! I would not recommend this hotel and if I was staying more than one night I would have canceled. It is in a bad neighborhood. I did valet parking for safety reasons. The breakfast was good and the people were very nice. Tarrant's restaurant was the recommendation and it was very good!!!

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Linden Row Inn. We sincerely apologize for failing to meet expectations during your stay.

Your concerns on our hotel have been noted, and will be considered as we continue to upgrade the property.

If you would like to discuss your stay with us in further detail, please feel free to contact our management office.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for History and ambiance and mood, the Linden Row Inn is perfect. We, only, stayed one night but know that we will be back. The staff is helpful and remains, almost, unseen allowing us to enjoy our stay. Our room overlooked the center garden. The breakfast hit the spot.

Stayed: July 2014
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for your praises! We are glad that you enjoyed your brief stay. We look forward to your return visit!