“Beautiful Inn, Wonderful Staff”
Review of Linden Row Inn

Linden Row Inn
Ranked #6 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I had never heard of Linden Row Inn before booking our stay but was excited to experience staying in an historical inn. The inn is beautiful, full of Richmond history and charm! The staff went above and beyond to make our stay an enjoyable one! The continental breakfast was more than I expected, they even had a waffle station. The breakfast room was charming. The outdoor areas are beautiful and well maintained. There are many places to sit and enjoy the outdoors. The rocking chairs on the porches are a nice touch! The room was large and clean. The bathroom was very nice. I highly recommend this inn! I will definitely stay at Linden Row Inn when I return to Richmond.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Clare W
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for your glowing review! We look forward to hosting you during your next visit to Richmond!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Room was large and decor was fabulous. Bathroom was modern and clean. Breakfast was adequate and staff were helpful. Only real complaint is that some of the antiques used to furnish the place really showed their age and there was some dust in the room and bobbie pins all over the floor from a previous guest.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that, on the whole, you enjoyed your stay with us.

All of us at the Linden Row Inn sincerely appreciate your feedback on areas for improvement and will certainly be utilizing your suggestions in our ongoing efforts to upgrade the guest experience. We hope to host you again soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I love historical inns, or anything that has a historical charm, but sadly I was not a fan of Linden Row. I was expecting historic charm, what I got was old musty building that requires a lot more money to be dumped into it before it gets there. I had been wanting to visit LRow for years, since ive tried other Inns and Historic Hotels in RVA but I will not go back to LRow.

The Rooms were outdated, yes I get it. its historic, that doesn't mean that the carpet needs to be musty or that ceiling tiles have water spots that are still wet...

Also, The AC did not work in our room in Mid-July. But bc it worked in the bathroom staff said it worked....are you kidding me, I'm telling you its hot, so fix it.

Room Tip: Get a room that has a window facing the outside not the courtyard. otherwise your room is a dungeon...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FFXTravelers
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your review. On behalf of all of us at Linden Row Inn, we sincerely apologize for missing the mark during your stay with us.

As attested by the hundreds of positive reviews of our property on TripAdvisor, your experience was a real anomaly. We sincerely apologize for all of the setbacks you faced in your room, and for the missteps in service by our team.

We would like to make things up to you and invite you to reach out to our management office to discuss your stay in further detail. We hope that we will get a chance to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Linden Row Inn provides a change of pace from typical chain hotels. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The air conditioning worked perfectly--which is critical for a summer stay in Richmond. The old-fashioned parlor which serves as a lobby is comfortable as well. The porches overlooking the courtyard could be very inviting, but they need to be spruced up. A bit of soap and water and some elbow grease would do the job. The other negative was the breakfast, which was just plain not good. The pastries were basically hostess-cup cake grade, and the boiled eggs, about the only protein choice, were strangely tough. It's free, though, so hard to complain too much. All-in-all, the hotel is a good value that provides a comfortable stay in a charming old inn (originally several separate row houses) in a convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that, on the whole, you enjoyed your experience at our historic property.

We appreciate the constructive feedback on our porches and breakfast offerings. Our porches are actually in the process of being refinished and repainted. And, we are constantly evaluating new menu ideas for our complimentary continental breakfast.

We hope that you will get a chance to see some of these positive changes during a future visit!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel a couple of times. he first time it was lovely. Great room, airy, view of the courtyard. Basic amenities but charming. I had to come back to Richmond for business so I called the hotel direct and asked for the same room. The told me that the one above was available so I booked that one as they said it was the same layout. When I got to the hotel the room was not available and instead I was given a room that was almost the opposite of what I was expecting, dark, a little dingy, one window looking out onto a wall. I told the front desk manager that I wasn't happy but they were full and no other rooms were available. I was also given two different excuses as to why my preferred room wasn't available. They allowed me to cancel my second night reservation for no charge as I wanted to find another hotel. I appreciated that gesture and they also tried to find another room by swapping out reservations for people who had not arrived. However that might well have created the same problem for someone else. So I declined.
My problem here is that I had phoned the hotel direct and asked for a room specifically. I was told it was available so I presumed that having made that reservation it would have been reserved. Sounds like the old Seinfeld episode with car reservations. I would not have been upset if I had booked via a booking website as in that case I think the rooms are just randomly allocated.
It is a lovely hotel, in a great spot, a little worn but that is part of its charm. It just might need to have some attention paid to the booking.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

On behalf of all of us at the Linden Row Inn, we wanted to apologize for your experience at our historic property. While we are unable to guarantee room assignments, we do make a best effort to accommodate specific room assignment requests, especially from regular guests who have stayed in a particular room in the past.

Regarding your particular situation, our team was forced to change your room assignment due to changes in the timeline for renovation work occurring near the requested room. Unfortunately, given the nature of the work (refinishing and staining of the deck on the entire floor), it would have been impossible for you to have accessed the room on the dates comprising your stay.

It pains us to have to read about your disappointing experience. We have reached out to you to make amends and hope that you will consider a future stay at our property under better circumstances.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel is actually a set of joined row houses - it's beautiful to look at on the outside, and the outside is a good indication of what you'll get on the inside, which is a well-preserved, historic hotel, with rather stiff Victorian furniture. Aside from the formality, however, this hotel is very comfortable and pretty affordable.

The historical significance of the property will probably be a draw for any fan of Richmond's favorite morose poet, Edgar Allen Poe. He was a frequent visitor when the row houses were still private residences and courted his first girlfriend in that very courtyard. (I'll just interject here and say that the Edgar Allen Poe museum is well worth a visit, and Poe's Pub, which is just down the road from the museum, had fabulous burgers.)

We had a room for 4 with two double beds, which is frankly a bit cramped these days for 4 average adults. There's also a lot of big, period-esque furniture, but that adds to the overall ambiance, as well as the overall cramped-ness. The bathroom was a nice size, though, and the floor to ceiling windows let in plenty of light. The beds are rather... springy.

Included with the rate is breakfast, which is quite tasty. It's your usual assortment of pastries, muffins, and cereals with waffles or scrambled eggs. It just feels a bit more fancy, though, because you eat in a dedicated (and gorgeous) breakfast room on real plates, with real silverware.

There were two moderate drawbacks, which I figure is only worth knocking off one star, because they're both pretty easily dealt with.

The first is the area in which the hotel is located. It's a decent neighborhood with lots of photo opportunities, but it's a bit remote from the heart of the city and a lot of the attractions that people come to see. It's definitely not within walking distance, which means you'll need to drive to pretty much everything but a few local restaurants (which were excellent.) I'd also recommend a tad bit more than the usual amount of caution if you're going to be walking around that area of Broad Street after dark.

Which brings me to the second and perhaps bigger drawback. Parking. Specifically, there's not any, at least not very near the hotel itself. You have two options: park on the street, or use the valet, which is $24 per day. If you choose to park on the street, you might be in for a good walk, and if you're coming and going later in the evening...well, that's up to you. As for the valet, we only stayed 3 days, so the added $72 was not a huge deal-breaker for us. It would have been if we were staying for the week. And since most people choose the valet option, actually getting your vehicle can be a slow process on some mornings, in excess of 20 minutes. They recommend you call down 20 minutes in advance to have your car ready, but you can still wait another 15-20 minutes on top of that, if they are busy. We didn't have a whole lot planned, so it wasn't a huge inconvenience for us, but if you're in a hurry or you have a plane to catch, be warned.

Overall, it's a very nice historic hotel. There are some luxuries, like the breakfast and the VERY nice little courtyard and the sitting room, but this is not a modern chain hotel. There's no fitness center, no Playstation for the kids, or a snack bar in the lobby, or a pool. You can often book good deals directly through the hotel's website - we got our room for $112 per night. There are a number of good restaurants nearby - do try Tarrant's Cafe. It's a BIT on the pricey side (not terribly) but the pizza is amazing.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Erin O

Thank you for your detailed review of the Linden Row Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We did want to take a moment to clarify that the row homes that comprise Linden Row Inn today were not yet built when a young Edgar Allan Poe played in the garden where the property now sits.

We also felt that it would be helpful for future guests to know that our valet parking charge is actually $12/night including unlimited in/out privileges.

Finally, we are pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary continental breakfast. The breakfast currently includes hard-boiled eggs, along with hot waffles, fresh oatmeal, toast, bagels, danish, cereal, coffee, tea, milk, and fresh fruit.

We appreciate your review and look forward to hosting you in the future!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Linden Row Inn Is a charming, historical place to stay when visiting downtown Richmond. I have stayed there multiple times over the years since it opened in the 1980's. I highly recommend this Inn. Wonderful staff!

Room Tip: All the rooms are terrific. They are very spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for selecting the Linden Row Inn as your preferred hotel in Richmond for the past 20+ years. We appreciate your support and look forward to your next visit!