“Jake & Saifon”

Ranked #20 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 1 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Danyel M, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Richmond Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I came here for a soccer tournament but I will never stay here again. I love the service from everyone except Joan she is a rude and very nasty person. I checked in my card decline. She asked me to see another card I said the card has the money on it she said it doesn't cause it declined.Very unprofessional and she needs to work on her grammar.I called my bank because she refuse to let me check in. And they said they had problems with the systems. So she would have to manually type it in so she didn't. She said she couldn't do that. So I waited like 10 minutes and it finally went through. I went to my room and my daughter I found out it was only one bed. She never told us that and we booked a double bed.I showed her the reservation.She said it's nothing she could do because all the room's are sold out. She said talk to the manager tomorrow. The manager never came. They charge me for a roll a way when I booked for a double executive suite with a credit card.My husband was furious because ESPN did not show the picture or the internet did not work all. He had to go down stairs to the lobby to watch ESPN and use the internet. This place needs to make some changes.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for sharing your recent experience here with us at Wingate by Wyndham Short Pump! We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. It's disappointing to hear of our Service Delivery Failure. The service you received is unacceptable and has been reviewed and addressed. Stop by and give us a "second chance" on your next trip to Richmond, VA.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have stayed at this facility many times in the past. It has been my hotel of choice for my business trips to the Short Pump area of Richmond.

This time, I am booked for 2 nights a week, March through May, with possible extension through June or July. But this trip has not been nearly as pleasant as those in the past. For starters, the room rate is almost double what it was at this past Christmas (just 2 months ago)! They have tried to explain it as being due to peak season, booking through a travel agent, etc., etc. That might explain a moderate rate increase , but not such a huge one!

And while the rates have gone up, the service has gone down. The first week of this series of trips, neither the phone nor the clock radio worked in my room. The second week, the light fixture on the wall did not work; and when I tried to check the light bulb, the whole fixture flipped upside down on the wall! There was no microwave in the room. When I called the front desk to see if there was a microwave in a central location that I could use, they said they would bring a microwave to my room. No microwave ever arrived, and no phone call was made to tell me about the situation or where I a central microwave might be found!

They have removed all of the vending machines from each floor. Instead, you have to make a trip down to the front desk and purchase items from them (at somewhat high prices), and wait while the front desk clerk keys each item into the computer by hand. There are no Cokes or Sprites or Pepsis available; just bottled water and fruit juice and root beer.

Breakfast is not as good as it used to be, either. The fruit juices were watered down. The apple juice was so watery that I had to throw it out! The waffle batter was so watery that it splashed and flowed over the sides of the waffle maker and would hardly hold together well enough to make a waffle. When I picked up a piece of waffle on a fork, it drooped down over the end of the fork like a limp noodle.

When I tried to check in during my second week,the "gentleman" at the front desk was rude. He insisted that there was no credit card authorization on file from my company, and that I would have to pay with my personal credit card. I tried to explain that there had been a problem the previous week, but that that had been worked out. He became more and more insistent. I remained calm, did not raise my voice or criticize, but apparently accidentally interrupted him while he was speaking. He rudely exclaimed, "IF YOU'LL LET ME FINISH!" I told him not to be rude. Even if I had been wrong about the arrangements (but I was NOT wrong), there was no call for him to be rude. He eventually checked again, and found that authorization was indeed on file. Rather than apologize for his error in not checking before he blasted me, he turned saccharin-sweet and complained about how it was the fault of whoever did not transfer the information into the computer correctly. He indicated that he was going to have to report that person's error. First he blamed the situation on me, then he blamed it on someone else. He never took responsibility or apologized for his rudeness.

On the positive side, the rooms are spacious and clean; and the lovely lady who is usually on duty at the front desk in the evenings ("Joan") is professional and personable, and will do her best to make sure that your needs are addressed.

Room Tip: Check your room first to make sure everything's working, before you bring all your luggage in!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Expect a longer than normal check in process as front desk staff slow and overly chatty. Not overly professional. New restaurant in hotel convenient but not what one would anticipate at hotel with Wyndham's reputation. Took offense to question over drink charge on personal credit card first night of stay. Almost as if front desk person was trying to prove his importance. Very off-putting. Mentioned I was member of loyalty club and no effort to look up on computer so I would get reward points which is practice at other hotel chains. Also when purchased ice cream bars from canteen near front desk price charged was not what was posted and because of computer issue had to wait longer than required for receipt.

Reviewed 19 March 2014