“Staff and accommodations were truly remarkable!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This Hotel was chosen as a Honey Moon Suite for my husband and me. I have utilized this facility in the past for business meetings and banquets and have been truly pleased with all of their amenities. From valet service to check out our experience was absolutely outstanding yet again and even more so this time because our stay was personal and not business related however the service remained the same. (Going above and beyond =)) Friendly faces welcomed us and were ready and willing to meet any accommodation requested. Front desk staff particularly was knowledgeable and truly committed to ensuring that our stay here was the best. A shout out must be given to the HR team for selecting the cream of the crop!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The corner suites on the upper levels seem to offer the best view of the city and appeared to be the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

Michelle;

Thank you for your recent visit and positive feedback about our staff and accommodations. I will certainly share this with the entire team, and thank our HR team for their efforts with hiring and training. We / and the Hilton Brand have extensive training for our associates to ensure we deliver the best service to our guests, as you experienced. We look forward to your next visit to Richmond, and your stay with us at the Historic Miller & Rhoads / HGI - Richmond.

John and team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,566)

Reviewed 4 August 2011

The room was gorgeous but it couldn't make up for the rude staff, $18 parking, the smell of gasoline in their pool area, the uncomfortable beds, the VERY LOUD noises from the street that kept me up all night (even with a sound machine) and the thermostat which only had 2 settings: hot and freezing. I wouldn't come back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lauren38

Dear Lauren;

Thank you for your visit and feedback. I was certainly disappointed to hear you felt "your were slightly ripped off". I welcome your call or email to discuss your concerns, and make amends.

john.cario2@hilton.com

Reviewed 1 August 2011

I traveled to the Richmond Area for business and have always had pretty good luck with Hilton Garden Inn. This HGI seemed to not live up to the expectations that have been met at previous HGI's that I have stayed in. Check in was fine and the staff was courteous enough.

The problem was that the room was not very clean, but the staff responded very well.

The bathroom floor looked to have not been swept after the previous guest left. That evening, my daughter got into bed and was laying there and told me "Daddy, my bed smells like pee-pee." Sure enough, it smelled like someone had urinated on the top covers of the bed. We called the front desk and the head of housekeeping made a visit to the room to see if what we were saying was true. He took a whiff and it about turned his stomach.
He was very polite and took care of everything. he changed the entire bedding, which smelled so much better, apologized and got us free breakfast coupons, which was nice.
He seeded to indicate that he didn't think that the maids had changed the bedding from the previous guest from the way that the sheets looked and certain evidence that he gathered that was tell-tale signs that gave it away. I don't know what they were, but now I wished I had asked.

1  Thank MattLusk
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Matt, Thank you for your recent visit and feedback. I am very disappointed to hear of the cleanliness concerns you noted. This is most certainly not the norm for our hotel, and I welcome another chance to show we can do better. Please reach out on a future visit, or call / email me to discuss this recent visit. Certainly not the first or last impression we care for you to have !

john.cario2@hilton.com

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Quick check in. Clean rooms. Quiet stay. Great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This Hilton Garden is in a beautifully renovated former department store building with condos in an attached wing. The staff are truly wonderful here! They remember me by name each time I return and my preferences for room location are noted and accomodated each time. There is room service and a nice bar for an afternoon cocktail, an indoor pool and gym. The business center is small but adequate. There is a shuttle offering free transportation around the downtown area, but not an airport shuttle. I have used Groome before but I usually rent a car in Richmond.

Even the valet parking assistants are very customer-service oriented. Do know that there is an $18 per day charge and valet parking is mandatory as there is no on-site self-parking in this downtown location.

Hilton HHonors members receive a free breakfast coupon and free bottled water for each day of the stay which is nice, along with free wireless internet access.

The beds are amazing! They have the adustable firmness setting for a perfect sleep every night!

For a business trip to downtown Richmond you cant go wrong with this property!

1  Thank caugh51654

I like your title, "Feels like home", as we do greet many of our guests with "welcome home" after their day at the office, or just returning week after week. That is our goal, your "home away from home". We appreciate you, your loyalty to our brand and hotel, and look forward to your next Hilton visit. Please stop by and say hello next time your are in town.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Beautiful Hotel, renovated Miller & Rhodes Dept. Store. Large Room, nice amenities, i.e. TV, coffee, fridge, microwave. Staff extremely nice! Water bottles not replaed in room all week, only one towel in bathroom upon arrival. Breakfast is too expensive, duvet weighs 20 lbs and kept me sweating while under it, freezing when not. Finally found a comfy room temp that would allow me to sleep with only a sheet. One drape will not work, so not much sunlight in room. Must valet park, which increases nightly rate. Too many other options nearby.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

Overall this hotel met out requirements. The staff were nice though there didn't seem to be enough of them, but we did stay mid-week, so maybe they're used to being slower. I had reserved and paid through a discount site and didn't get an attitude because of it, which was nice. We were put in a room that we were told was 'larger and nicer' than the one we paid for. It was very nice, and large, two queen beds, fridge, coffee maker and microwave, nice bathroom and huge window but I think it was iterally the furthest room from the elevator they could give us. And I am pregnant. And my roomie was a smoker who needed to go out front to do so. We were too tired to complain and ask to be moved, so we just trudged back and forth.

Also, they advertise sleep number beds, which is frankly why I chose this hotel over the Marriot across the street...since I'm pregnant and have one at home. Well, once we got into bed we found the very simple hard/med/soft (only the three settings - no actual numbers) wasn't working. So I tried to sleep on a bed set to hard when I'm used to soft. I was able to get 3 or 4 hours using every available pillow.

The incuded breakfast buffet was good, plenty of continental fare, make your own waffles with toppings, omelet /egg station where they make to order a limited menu, but it does take a bit. Don't go here if you don't have some time.

Overall, due to being 2 blocks away from the Coliseum, if you are looking for a hotel for a concert there, and aren't looking for more than an adequate experience, this is a good choice for you.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thank you for your recent visit and feedback. While the majority of your experience seemed good, I was disappointed we didn't "exceed" your expectations, our goal. I welcome your call or email to address your noted concerns, especially the bed, as we normally have excellent reviews on our Garden Sleep System beds.