“Nice hotel but not outstanding.”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reston, Virginia
“Nice hotel but not outstanding.”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

If you know HGI's, you pretty much know what you are going to get. Usually a small step up from Hampton Inn's. That sums this hotel up for me - an average HGI which means nice large rooms, a good breakfast (which you pay extra for of course) and some extra amenities like the bar and higher standard gym and pool.
I used some Honors points so given the reviews, I chose this over the nearby Doubletree which had some less than positive comments. I had my family with me so my kids very much enjoyed the pool which I would put at above average. The gym area was also nice with modern equipment and plenty of space.

A couple of reviews have mentioned the parking and I would agree that it is annoying to not have the choice of self parking. Nevertheless, $21 is not that much more than you would pay overnight in a public lot and you do get unlimited in and out.

Overall, a solid 4 stars for me. From a business perspective, the Hampton Inn experience is better value but given that it 'cost' me no more points than the other Hilton brands, the HGI was a good choice for me and worth the extra money if you are going to take advantage of all the nice extras.

One last comment - there really is nothing nearby within walking distance so be prepared to drive or use the shuttle.

• Stayed March 2012
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and feedback via Tripadvisor. We sincerely appreciate this feedback so we can fine tune our operation in hopes to earn a "5 - Star" from you in the future. I was glad to hear the family enjoyed the pool, but disappointed you didn't think there was much to do in the area. Yes, certainly more available from our free shuttle service for the family, including the Children's museum of Richmond - 2 miles away. We are also a short walk to many local attractions; The convention center, Colesium, the National, CenterStage and the Valentine's museum to name a few. We hope you have another opportunity to come visit us !

Thanks again,

John Cario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Typical Hilton property very convenient for downtown business. room was good sized with excellent amenities including refrig and microwave. would have liked more light in the room-too dark with lamps only. Decent restaurant, which is good since there is nothing else very close to walk to at nights. Be aware of $21 parking charge. I didn't enjoy being woken at 7am by trash trucks since I did not have an early appointment! I had thought that by getting a room not overlooking board street that it would be quieter.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent visit and comments. While the majority were positive, and overall you rated us a "good business hotel", we'll certainly review your expert comments. I was disappointed to learn a trash truck awakened you early. Being a multi-use facility our condo side has a trash entrance too, but we'll be sure to advise they should not be doing early morning pickups that would disturb our guests. This past year we actually started composting and now over 10 tons of waste have not gone to landfills in loud trucks !

We hope to see you again, and we do appreciate your feedback.

Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

King room was fairly roomy, usual for Hilton brands. Well kept, large desk, plenty of outlets on desk and bedside tables for phones and computers. Bathroom clean but otherwise unremarkable. Top floor was quiet, no noise from adjoining rooms. Good location across from convention center, but not close to best restaurants. Shuttle available to get to around made up for that. Service was stellar, at check-in, in the restaurant, and from the valet. Very impressed with their friendliness and attention to my needs throughout the visit. Breakfast was between a buffet and full-service; hot meals ordered at the grill then delivered to the table, along with a fruit and bread buffet. Comfortable bar open to the lobby and its street view, so you are not locked away from the city. One negative is $21/day valet-only parking, no self-parking available. Public “honor lot” across the street, but not large and fills quickly.
Pro: Outstanding service in all areas.
Con: Expensive parking.

Room Tip: Most rooms have view of the hotel's other wing - be sure to ask if you want a street view.
1 Thank Jesse W
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and feedback. We'll review your positive visit with the team, and thank those that exceeded your expecations, and delivered "superior service". We look forward to your return visit to Richmond, or at one of other Hilton Brand locations.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I only spent one night at this particular Hilton hotel, however, I frequently stay in Hilton brand hotels throughout the year, and this one was a bit disappointing for me. The bed was comfortable, and the room was large and spacious with huge picture windows.Unfortunately, the view from those windows on the 7th floor were right in to other hotel guests rooms, due to the square configuration of the courtyard below. Although the television was a modern, flat panel it was awkwardly small. The property earned a "poor rating" in my book due to the unsightly bathroom issues. The base of the toilet was covered in a thick layer, shiny layer of white caulk, as well as, the faucet and tile in the tub area. Additionally, the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling off the walls. At a cost of approximately $150, one would definitely not expect to find these very noticeable, unsightly issues in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard do not extend much privacy.
1 Thank RileyPA
Thank you for your recent visit and review. We were disappointed as well to hear your comments. We certainly can do much better, and we'll address your noted concerns ahead. Thank you for your reply to my personal email so that we can address the actual room you stayed in. While we have a preventive maintenance program in place, we obviously missed the mark on your room, and visit. Thank you for your feedback, we hope to show we can do better in the future.

Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I spent 2 nights at this hotel over the past weekend and wished I could have stayed more nights. I had my children with me, and they loved it also...so much that my little said he wanted it to be his new house. We enjoyed the indoor heated pool. Our room was very clean and spacious. Flat screen tv, microwave & refrig in the room. Vending machine filled with good stuff. And the breakfast was the bomb.com! I will always stay at this place whenever I go back to Richmond.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and your stay with us. We are so glad to hear we have some new fans, as well you made our day regarding breakfast and your comment "breakfast was the bomb.com". We appreciate the positive feedback, and I will thank the team for their efforts during your visit.

We look forward to your return visits to Richmond and your stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Amelia Court House, Virginia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I enjoy staying in this hotel when we come into Richmond for a weekend. The rooms are modern and clean, the beds comfortable, the service great. This hotel is in the heart of Richmond on Broad St. in a former elegant department store building. They've done a great job transforming it into a very nice hotel. This hotel provides an excellent shuttle service which will take you anywhere you want to go within a very large area of downtown including most of the restaurant district. Our driver, James, was delightful. They even were waiting outside the restaurant for us to take us back to the hotel. Loved not having to pay a taxi fare. Valet parking for our car was fast, courteous, and efficient.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and your stay with us at the Historic Miller and Rhoads, now Hilton Garden Inn hotel & M&R Residences. We appreciate the positive feedback, and I will certainly thank James (Van Driver) and the valet team for their efforts during your visit. We look forward to your return visit to Richmond and another wonderful stay at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I travel frequently. I have had great customer service at run down hotels, bad customer service at nice hotels, and forgettable service at forgettable hotels. This hotel & staff were in the business of winning customers! clean amenities, tall ceiling rooms and motivated staff compel me to write a review for the first time in my 5 years of constant travel across the nation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Jason;

Thank you for your recent visit and first ever Tripadvisor post about your stay. We were glad to hear you very much enjoyed your visit. We most certainly strive to "win" our customers with great service and product in this very competitive business, by doing it "one at a time".

We look forward to your next stay with us here in Richmond.