“Great service everyone willing to help”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great service everyone willing to help”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed for a conference and was so impressed with the excellent service. Special food requests were no problem. Friendly suggestions for local attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2012
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Jeepy !

Thanks for the visit and your kind comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I want to first commend the personell at the Doubletree who went out of their way to help me. My husband is a patient in MCV ( we live in Miami), so I had booked the Doubletree on line which offered a free shuttle to and from the hospital. When I arrived, the lady at the front desk ( I wish I got her name she was so nice!) apologized because they had to replace the transformer which meant shutting down the electricity ( no elevators, hot water, lights etc) for a full morning. I knew right away I could not handle the inconvenience so I asked her for recommendations since I was unfamiliar with Richmond. She mentioned the Hilton Garden Inn was their sister hotel, and she even called and had the shuttle deliver me there. This is a newer property and closer to the hospital ( also has complimentary shuttle service) .The lobby is light and bright and the staff very pleasant. The line was a little long ( to ask a simple question) and the lobby tiles seemed pretty beat up considering it is a new structure, but my room was unexpectedly wonderful! Very spacious ,with very comfortable beds ( you can even adjust your mattress comfort). The shuttle drivers I had the pleasure of meeting ( Andrew and James) are professional and very personable . They both had a kind word for my ailing husband. Oh, and on top of this...The Hilton Garden gives a special rate for families who have someone in the hospital. I will not hesitate to recommend this hotel and already booking my return.

Room Tip: I had room #441- A Very spacious room, two queen beds,near the elevator, ice and vending machines.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank maria k
Dear Maria,

I hope your husband is doing better after the recent visit to the hospital here. While I was sorry to hear our sister hotel the Doubletree was having some issues that evening and couldn't help with your visit, we were glad to assist and accommodate you here. That is a good thing about the Richmond Community, we are here for our visitors to Richmond and will help each other out in the name of hospitality. I have also thanked the team you mentioned for their efforts, especially our drivers, and we certainly hope to see you on a future visit.

Plano, Texas, United States
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here for a short visit while working for the hospital up the street. The front desk agent (Doris) was the absolute best! Not only did she go out of her way to accommodate some arrangements for me, but when rebooking for my return visit she was able to maneuver the system to get me the dates I needed. Extremely personable and polite as well.

Only downside to this hotel for business purposes is that getting your car is always a wait. For multiple trips in and out, it is a hassle! A shuttle would be great to and from nearby restaurants.

I will be returning here next week for an extended stay (18 nights) so I should have an updated report soon to see if the excellence holds.

Dear Ruth;

Thank you for your recent visit and review of our hotel. I have personally thanked Doris for her efforts during this past visit, as well discussed your concerns with the Valet team. We look forward to your next longer visit, and hope to do even better on your next review.

I hope we have the opportunity to meet as well.

Raleigh NC
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This hotel has some really great qualities. The rooms are small but well-furnished. Bathrooms are nicely updated and have great toiletries. But the very best part of staying in this hotel is the BED! They have an amazing bed that goes from soft to firm in the flip of a very easy switch. The meeting spaces are just okay, but the public spaces are wonderful. There are lots of places to sit prior to check in and after check out. The valet staff are friendly and helpful, though not necessarily welcoming. A large RV with an extended trailer was blocking most of the curbside space. I parked in a spot - turns out it was reserved for valet vehicles. I gave the keys to the staff, but he asked me to move it. Why didn't he just move it to where he wanted it parked? A smidge disappointing to not have handy bell staff to assist. Overall a great location and nice hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and review. Glad to hear you liked the Beds. The Hilton Garden Sleep Systems are wonderful, and you can dial in your comfort setting ! We'll have reviewed your comments with the team, and we look forward to a return visit.

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This hotel was clean, welcoming and comfortable. I was well treated in every interaction with the registration desk, the bell captain and the valet parking guys. The Lobby is open and really spacious with many sections of comfortable furniture for conversation groupings. There is an ambiance of serenity in the place that I really like.

Room was well appointed and every TV channel you would expect. Lobbies clean, elevators really prompt. Fitness Room well stocked with free weights and cardio-type machines.

My only complaint is the grunginess of the area, despite it being the area of downtown immediately adjacent to the convention center. Only one grubby convenience store a block away that had no newspapers. A couple of restaurants my colleagues went to check out nearby were out of business. Numerous storefronts were empty.

I wish the hotel carried New York Times and the Washington Post. In fairness, the Marriott across the street didn't either.

In sum, I would definitely return but ONLY if in connection with a convention or conference.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for your visit and comments regarding your stay and our City. I was pleased to see every aspect of your visit in our facility was positive, and you gave us a strong "5" rating. In regards to daily papers we do offer complimentary USA to each guest weekly, as well have added several Wall Street Journals available based on requests. Of course we have the local Richmond Times available as well. We don't often have the request for the others you mentioned. While the area surrounding the hotel has some pockets of blight as you mentioned (yet to be developed) there are many new businesses, and restaurants that continue to open monthly. This downtown area in the past five plus years has seen dramatic transformation and investment including our mulit-use facility, the John Marshall Hotel (Now Apartments and Meeting space), the Federal Courthouse, and more. The new Pasture restaurant which opened recently (Farm to Table) is around the corner on Grace St., and has had many great reviews. Restaurant 525 is set to open in May, and they are also on Grace St. immediately behind us. We continue to work closely with our City, Convention and Visitors, and local Leaders to make sure Richmond is welcoming to all it's guests, and continues to improve. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with these leaders so we can continue to improve all of Richmond.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed here recently for business and was satisfied overall.

There is a public parking lot directly across the street, it is 18 dollars per day. If you don't mind carrying your luggage across the street it can save you 3 bucks. Also, in the morning it can be a little hectic getting your car from the valet. I don't mean to slight the valet service, it is just difficult to retrieve 10 cars at once.

The aspect that stood out to me was the pool/gym area. The hotel has a large indoor pool with a hot tub attached. I didn't use it, but it was clean and had plenty of sitting room around it. The gym was large and had plenty of equipment including 2 treadmills, a set of free weights, bike and small benches.

There is a complimentary table in the morning that has coffee and tea.

The room was nice. I ended up with 2 queens on the 5th floor. I could not hear any street traffic and the view was ok.

The television service was great. For sports fans, they get the Washington DC Comcast Sports Network as well as the other standard cable channels.

I ran around the city in the evening to see what was around, and there isn't much in the way of restaurants. There is a =Capital City Ale House a few blocks over but most of the "fast food" places are closer to VCU, which is right up Broad Street. The hotel addresses this by having a shuttle that will take you around. There are 2 or 3 vans they use, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

I would stay here again, as the hotel is relatively new and in good shape overall.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor (5 or 6) with a view facing outward.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Goosebumps;

Thank you for your visit and great feedback on our property and the area. We appreciate the feedback on the facility, as well the hints for other travelers on alternate parking, our courtesy vans, and dining options. This area has added several new restaurants recently to the others in walking distance. Aside from our Great American Grill in the hotel, Gibsons, Tarrants, T-Millers, Pasture, and the Penny Lane Pub are all with-in a short walk, many more also available with our vans. ** A new one too on Grace St. called "525" is opening in May.

Thanks again, and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

From the minute I arrived this hotel went out of their way to provide extra services without the extra charges.

One great example is a free shuttle service. Any where within two miles of the hotel. That was wonderful no cabs nor did I have to get my car out and drive around a strange city in traffic. How great is that?

Great food at a good price and a staff who just could not do enough for me.

• Stayed March 2012