“Great service spacious rooms good food and drink”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Very conveninet to downtown. Staff very friendly. Make sure to sit with Linda at the bar she is wonderful. Food is very good off restaurant menu. Reasonable selection of wine and lovely glassware. Rooms are generous, suites are spacious and perfect for families or entertaining. Walking distance to convention center and Richmond Collesium.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank traveler9621
tripin1, Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you for your visit and comments about your stay with us. I will certainly thank Linda for her efforts at the lounge. I was glad to see you enjoyed your meals with us. We look forward to your return visit, and hope you'll try some of our new menu selections as well.

Map Roeung
Food and Beverage Director

There are newer reviews for Hilton Richmond Downtown

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We were speakers at a large convention across the state last weekend and needed to get into our room early to change clothes. The front desk staff arranged to get us in in time, although they had been full the night before.

Parking in the area of the hotel is scarce and pricey and we were beginning to panic -- we could not find a place to park our 15 passenger van and cargo trailer engineering manager Patrick Bulson. I have honestly never met a hotel employee that was such a problem solver. He found us a place to park, even though it was an inconvenience to his own staff and when I mentioned I'd wait on the sidewalk to direct our son to the parking spot, he went back in the hotel and brought me back an ice cold bottle of water. It was a hot day and I was out there quite some time, so I am grateful for his thoughtfulness.

Our room was absolutely huge, one of the biggest I've seen and very pleasant and perfectly clean. I can do without the adjustable beds, though, they just aren't very comfortable.

The most amazing thing about this hotel is the staff. Simply everyone, housekeepers, maintainance guys in the hallway, desk staff, bell hops and valets were cheerful, polite, and spoke to everyone who went by. It was just remarkable. I don't know how the management has brought this about, but they deserve an award. We travel all over North America and convention hotels usually have wretched customer service since you are generally stuck there. Not so the Hilton Garden Inn. They have customer service nailed! Good work, folks!

Room Tip: Our seventh floor room in the middle outside was absolutely huge!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank M Y
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear M Y;

Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and our HGI - Richmond Downtown. We appreciate you and your recent convention group returning to our city for your event. It was nice to hear your comments relative to our team here, and our customer service skills. "Hospitality" is our life, and our business, so we strive to deliver, and we're glad it showed ! We will share your feedback with all, as well I have thanked Patrick for his efforts, and problem solving relative to your parking needs.

Thanks again, and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I would not recommend anyone patron Hilton Garden Inn on 501 E broad St. Richmond VA. If we continue to patron hotels which provide subpar services then they will continue to provide us all with subpar service. The lack of professionalism of their entire staff amazed me. My first incident came the night before check out. I called the front desk to request a late checkout for the next morning and the attendant immediately, with no regard to my request, advised me that another guest whom she assumed I was withleft without paying for their stay and how they would be prosecuted ( for the life of me I don’t know why she believed I knew them ). All of this after I stated I had no idea who this guest was or is. Never was my original request handled, and after visiting the front desk to speak with a manager I was advised he was not available as his shift was over at 12am. I informed the attendant to look toward the clock behind her; it was only 11:45pm and I was given a snide remark of “well he has to walk to his car.” The next morning at around 8am we heard a knock at the door. I asked who and the woman relied housekeeping. Not one minute after she replied “ok” to my request to hold while my sister got dressed, she proceeded to use her key and enter the room. After I pushed the door shut the attendant simply said she would be back later. Lastly, to top everything off, the valet service tore off a piece of my friend’s bumper. Please people of Tripadvisor choose another hotel whenever staying in Richmond VA.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Adia R
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Thanks for your recent visit and posting to Tripadvisor. My apologies for your concerns noted. I did send you a personal email to discuss and resolve as most of your comments are disappointing to say the least, as well investigating with the team here we could not find out who would have done / stated the things you said. Regardless, I would like to ensure you are satisfied, and welcome your call or email to discuss. Regarding the torn bumper, we did have a guest with a scratched fender, and the Valet company has addressed his concerns to his satisfaction.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

I recently visited this hotel and was blown away by their excellent customer service. The staff has obviously been trained to solve problems and has been given the authority to make decisions to help their customers. I left a piece of luggage there inadvertently and not only did they go and find it while I was on the phone, but one of the Bell Hops offered to bring me the bag & meet me closer to my city, as he had family he was visiting there the next day. He saved me a 3 hour round trip and was there with my bag at the appointed meeting time and place. The hotel also extended our parking for the day at no extra charge as they knew many of their guests were attending a conference across the street. I'd recommend this special place to everyone!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank C H
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear CH;

Thank you for this post as well your personal letter I just received in the mail today related to your visit. I was glad to hear Reggie and the team went above and beyond to return your items left at the hotel, and in fact meet you half way near Charlottesville, VA, saving you a 3 hour return visit, or expensive postage. I further shared your experience in our new hire orientation today as related to "Hospitality", "Empowerment", and going "Above and Beyond" as Reggie, Jessica, and Adam did. Thank you for providing some course material today :), but most importantly thanks for your visit to Richmond and our hotel while attending the HEAV conference. We look forward to your return visit to our hotel.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed during a weekend in June 2012 during a very large convention. While it is never guaranteed, early check-in would have been a huge help for us during this trip, unfortunately our room was not available until the standard check-in time of 4pm.

The hotel is clean and the staff is very welcoming. With one exception, and I will discuss that later, every staff member had a smile on their face when talking with guests.

The bed in our room was not very comfortable. They have mattresses with dual-zone adjustable firmness; however, no matter how much we turned the knobs on our mattress, the one side was always extra soft and the other side was always extra firm. I felt like I was sleeping 6 inches higher than my wife was.

Now to address the title of my review and that one exception to the smiling staff members, this hotel currently charges $21 per night for valet. No other on-site parking is available. During the first two days of our stay, we had no problems with the valet. We turned the car over to them around 1pm on Thursday and left it them until we went to dinner later that evening. Despite being extremely busy, and every parking space within an eight-block radius being full, the valet retrieved our car very quickly. We turned it back over to their care after dinner and left it there until dinner the following evening (Friday).

We turned the car back over to them on Friday evening around 8:30pm. I am the type of person who checks his car over for damage every time I get in or out of it and I noticed no new damage when the valet drove away from the hotel this evening. The car was under the hotel valet's care until about 5:30pm on Saturday. Again, the valet was very quick about returning my car, but as he pulled up the two other valets standing next to me both said, "Uh oh," and ran over to my car. There were scratches and dirt all over the passenger side near the rear tire.

The valet who was driving the car, who is also the operations manager for Parking Management Services, Inc., tried to tell me that damage was there when I gave them my car the previous evening, but I know I would have noticed that damage when I got out of the car. As I stated earlier, it was so obvious that two valets noticed it as soon as the car pulled up in front of the hotel.

The police department and insurance company investigations are still ongoing, but I have not heard anything from either the hotel or the valet company. In fact, when I reported it to the folks at the front desk of the hotel, nobody seemed to care; nobody offered to report it to the on duty manager.

As of right now, I am out $63 for three days of valet parking plus my insurance deductible to get my car fixed. I hope that the hotel or the valet company will do the right thing and help me out with this.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from the street below.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Seth G

Thank you for your visit and feedback. I was glad to see overall your stay was positive, and we'll certainly investigate your concern on the bed, as our Garden Sleep System mattresses typically get rave reviews. I was disappointed to learn of your claim related to your car. This is uncommon, however as you know we have been in touch with you prior to this post, and Joe with Parking Mgt. Services is aware of your claim, and I trust has resolved your concerns. We hope to have a chance to show we can do better on a return visit to Richmond, as we know you have choices, but strive to make Hilton your first choice.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed for a few nights and were impressed with this hotel. We couldn't believe how wonderful all the staff are. They call you by name and are very attentive. The room was very clean and all the amenities were there. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mary lynne s

Thank you for your recent visit and kind feedback. Yes, we do have a great team I am very proud of, and thankful to be working with at such a nice hotel. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

We had a great first time visit - a quick overnight to visit our daughter. Thanks to Aubrey and Maria our visit turned into an upgraded room that was just unbelievable. From the valet, to the front desk to housekeeping, we were treated like royalty. Can't wait to visit again - see you in August!

Room Tip: Our corner suite was sunny, huge and fabulous
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Patty H
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear Patty H;

Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and your stay with us at the Historic Miller & Rhoads Hilton Garden Inn. I was pleased to see you had an enjoyable visit, and both Aubrey and Maria went above and beyond to assist you. I will personally thank each of them. We look forward to your return August stay with us.