“Great place to stay!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Each time I travel to the Richmond area, this is my hotel of choice! As a former hotel manager myself, I am very picky about where I stay. I can honestly say this hotel is super clean and has a friendly staff. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear Carrie;

Thanks for your recent visit and feedback. Being a former Hotel Manager yourself you certainly are the expert, so we appreciate your visit and posting to Tripadvisor. We look forward to your future HGI ~ Richmond VA (RVA) visits and stays.

John Cario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Pasco, Washington
Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

Nice property right on broad st in downtown Richmond. Rooms are a bit on the small side, but well appointed and functional.

Free wifi inside rooms and lobby. Parking at $21 per day which is a little high but ok.

Breakfast in the morning is all right. Hotel pool is nice.

Recommended.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear Scutineer44;

Thank you for your visit and feedback. Being a former historic Department Store ~ The Miller & Rhoads we actually have various room sizes vs. the standard 12 x 12 footprint. Some in fact are very large, corner suites, or extended kings with a sleeper sofa. In the future I would recommend you request a larger room if needed. All rooms still feature all the standard HGI products and services; The Garden Sleep System beds, the beverage station with Refrig./Micro and Coffee Maker, and of course a large desk with the comfortable Herman Miller chairs.

Again, we thank you for your stay and feedback and look forward to a return visit.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

I am a frequent traveler and love the Hilton chain, but I must admit that this one really disappointed me. I arrived early 3:00 pm and was told that my room would not be available until the check-in time of 4:00pm. I said ok, but when I returned at 4:15pm, I was then told that due to staff shortage, my room is not available as of yet. When I asked when would it be available, I was told they did not know. This is absolutely unacceptable!!! I was exhausted and needed to relax, so I could prepare for my meeting. This is such a disappointment as to how this was handled. Plus, nothing was offered for the delay but for me to have a seat in the lobby until they let me know that my room is ready. Way to treat your Hilton Honors Frequent Guests!!!!! I can not recommend this place at all!!!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Dr. Alias;

Thank you for your recent visit and feedback. I was disappointed to hear we could not get you your room at the time you had arrived. We actually consistently strive to ensure despite checkin times (4pm) we get our guests into their rooms. I recall a recent friday with 150 arrivals and over 100 came before 4pm and we got them in to their rooms. There are times coming off a busy prior night, as well wanting to ensure your room is properly cleaned that it doesn't always happen, for this I apologize. I did send a personal email to you to resolve, and hope we can make amends. We actually train our teams on just the situation you encountered in our Brand Promise training and it surprises me the team didn't offer you something. We can do better, and I do hope you'll reply to my note and we can resolve your concerns.

Belmont, California
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We had so much fun here and a very comfortable stay. The rooms were comfy and clean and the staff was wonderful -- friendly and helpful. They have a laundry room so we were able to do a couple of loads which was great. Breakfast good, bar good. Great ambiance: hotel is an historic Richmond department store which has been renovated with all the charm retained. They provide a van which will take you and pick you up anywhere within a 2-mile radius. Desk staff provided great tips on where to eat and what to do. We had a great time in the old Capitol of the Confederacy.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Carmenjo;

Thanks for your recent stay and feedback on Tripadvisor. It was great to see you enjoyed your visit to our Historic Hotel and found our services; Laundry, Van / Shuttle, etc... to meet your expectations.

We look forward to your next HGI / Richmond visit.

Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed 16 July 2012

What can I say. Another Great Hilton Garden Inn. From the time we pulled up to the front and were greeted by the bell men to the time we left it was a fabulous hotel.

The history of this hotel is amazing. We met one of the business travel managers when we were looking around. Her name is Damali Smith. If you get a chance to meet her pick her brain for great stuff to do.

She told us about the hotel and how it was the old department store and on each floor by the elevator there is a small plaque which says what was in the department store on the floor you are on. Small thing that you would have missed.

She also told us about great tours to do. We did a walking tour of the dead which was 2 hours long and a lot of walking, up hills and down, but learned a lot about the history of Richmond.

The hotel has a great location and their shuttle staff will take you to a lot of the sites.

Room Tip: Only saw our room and it was wonderful and not noisy.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent Richmond visit and stay with us at our Historic Miller & Rhoads ~ Hilton Garden Inn. I was pleased to see you rated us as "Fantastic", as well you met one of our Manager's - Damali.

We look forward to your visit and feedback.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We satyed one night at this hotel and it was excellent albeit expensive - although I suspect if we had booke din advance we would have got a betetr rate. The room was huge and beautifully furnished. The hotel laid on a mini bus for the disposal of the guests and he dropped us off and collected us wherever we wanted in town - this was a considerable bonus and saved al ot in taxis. A would rercommend this hotel. Our only niggle, and it is minor, is that the beds had a device which was supposed to alter the firmness but as far as we were concerned it did not work and was a gimmick. The bed was extermely hard.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Keith;

Thanks for your visit to our HGI - Richmond, USA and your feedback. I hope you had a chance to visit our very own Penny Lane Pub a few blocks away (ie; noticed you were from Liverpool). We do appreciate your visit and feedback and will share it with our team. Our beds are "Garden Sleep System" beds and do adjust, however we'll try to send you a separate note and triple check the bed you slept in to ensure the dial is working properly.

Thanks again, Cheers !

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Just went to a concert at The National in downtown Richmond, and this was a perfect place to stay. Staff were so friendly, rooms nice and spacious, and quiet. Probably the best wireless connection speed I've had in a hotel, and I've done a fair amount of business travel. Everyone from the valet parking staff to front desk, to anyone you met in the halls was always smiling and welcoming. Convenient and perfectly safe to walk to and from the concert venue. Perfect end to a perfect day!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Mimififi;

Thank you for your recent visit to our Hilton Garden - Richmond for a recent concert at the National. We appreciate your feedback on our hotel, internet, and staff. We actually just improved our internet further this week to have even faster speeds for our guests that may be downloading larger files / movies / etc..... so this was good to hear !

We look forward to your next HGI - Richmond visit, and sincerely appreciate your feedback.