“Solid Business Accomodations” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Solid Business Accomodations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Personable and attentive staff. Southern hospitality. Ease of check-in / out. Spacious clean room. Reliable internet service. Lobby is posh, very comfortable with plenty of seating and televisions. Quality of breakfast food sub-standard

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Steve D
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Steve;

Thanks for your recent Richmond Visit and HGI stay with us. While the majority of your feedback was very positive, I welcome your call or email to discuss your comments on our Breakfast. As you may know, HGI's have a full cooked to order, all you can eat buffet. We have fresh baked muffins, fresh fruits, waffles, omelets, and a variety of other items to get your day started right. I look forward to learning were we missed the mark. Thanks, John and Team - HGI, Richmond, VA.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I arrived in Richmond unsure if I would have to stay the night. I called this hotel and spoke with Keisha. I spoke multiple times to her throughout the day since it was an unexpected medical emergency. She was extremely accommodating, helpful and made my situation so much easier with her excellent customer service skills. I will also add that the entire staff that I dealt with during my multiple night stay could not have been more accommodating and understanding. I had a few requests of the hotel that I normally do not have and again, the staff didn't hesitate to help me and were pleasant about it. This stay also occurred during election night and all the hotels were totally booked and yet this hotel and staff still were able to assist me with last minute changes. The rooms are very clean. Cots can be provided and are better than the cheap type and have more than decent back support. The rooms are large. Nice closet size. Plenty of plugs for electronics. There is valet parking for 21.00 which is a big drawback as it adds up fast. But the Valet folks are quick with bringing the car. The in-house restaurant is nice for dinner but surprisingly the breakfast does not come with the rooms. The breakfast selection is not the variety I am accustomed to for the price of 13.95. However, I did eat there 1 day and the hot food was really good. The location is easily set up for walking to Medical Centers, Govt Buildings and parts of the VCU campus. Large Flat Screen TV, Great pillows, room temp was easily controlled and worked well. Plenty of towels that appear new and are thicker than usual. The adjustable mattress is a plus too. Just on customer service alone, I would come back and recommend others do as well. I will be back up to Richmond for a few more regular visits and I look forward to staying at this hotel. I hope Keisha will be there to greet me!

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms seem to be larger.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank keeptraveling01
LWharton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the HGI - Richmond Downtown, located in the Historic Miller & Rhoads building. I am glad to see you enjoyed your time with us! I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback and provide valuable information to us. Keisha is truly a hotel professional, and an incredible asset to my team. I will make sure to share your comments with her (I know she'll be delighted!). We look forward to seeing you again shortly!
Sebring, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Upon arrival we were greeted by the valet service with friendly smiles and kindness. We entered he beautiful lobby and rec'd wonderul service upon checking in. Couldn't wait to get to our room to check out and address our mattress settings. After check-in we headed to our rooms...on the 3rd. Besides the fact that we had to walk a great distance to get to our room we found our room to be very nice. The hallway floors were very creeky! Our toilet would not stop running after it was flushed. We called the front desk and they immediately came to fix the toilet.....excellent service. From there one everthing was great!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Deborah M
Thank you for your response. I am glad to see you enjoyed your time with us! It's always good for us to hear our guests respond positively to our level of service- we work hard to provide it! I will make sure to pass along your kind words to my team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed here with my Aunt after visiting a cousin at Virginia Commonwealth University nearby. The hotel looks very nice when you walk in and the lobby is great. Everyone we encountered was beyond friendly. You have to valet the car or park in a lot across the street. The valet cost is $21 and 24 hours in the lot is $18 so we valeted. The valets were friendly and our car came quick but I still think it was a bit pricey for parking. Our room was huge. We encountered a problem with no hot water twice. The staff did come and it was fixed. We also awoke in the middle of the night to the AC unit flashing and making a clicking noise which was very promptly fixed, but still an inconveince to us. We ate at the hotel for dinner, service good food good. I too as many have said was VERY surprised that the breakfast was not free. It was a charge of $13.95 and I have had free continental breakfasts that had more food. They do not put out the bacon, potatoes or sausage so you have to order them with your eggs and they don't give you a lot. The only bagels left were blueberry bagels too. I think this should be free. I am giving this hotel a very good because they did give us a free room, because of our issues and they were very friendly about helping us and responsive with the problems. I think all hotels have issues, but its how they handle them in my opinion that differentiates the hotel. The only other thing I would add is be careful where go around the hotel this is not a safe area, and not even a block from the hotel is quite sketchy and I live in a City. I would not recommend going out at night on foot.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisannez
LWharton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for your post! I am sorry to hear that you had some troubles during your stay. And you're absolutely right, how the issues are handled (we all make mistakes) makes a huge difference! I am glad to know my team reacted positively. As far as breakfast goes, at Hilton Garden's we provide a full cooked-to-order hot, all you can eat breakfast buffet and yes there is a charge, unlike some of our sister hotels; Hampton and Embassy Suites. However, we also have some "bed and breakfast" packages which include breakfast, as well some that include parking. I encourage you to see what we offer next time you are looking for hotels in Richmond. We look forward to seeing you again!
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel to attend a committee hearing of the Virginia Legislature. The hotel was comfortable and very convenient for this purpose. I found the business center to be useful. I was glad the hotel didn't nickel and dime me for every amenity.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Devbert;

Yes, we are in "General Assembly" country and preparing for their next session in 2014. A short walk, or courtesy shuttle ride gets you close to the action. Thanks for your visits, and your feedback, we hope to see you back soon.

John Cario - GM
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel is located in the renovated Miller & Rhoades store. The rooms are large and tastefully restored. The site is near the downtown to allow easy walking to meetings or restaurants. Also, close to VCU.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your recent stay and nice post to Tripadvisor. We hope to see you back with us soon. John & Team
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel with accommodating staff. If you are going to Richmond to be close to the convention center, this is your hotel. The house is clean, the food is good and the staff is really very accommodating and pleasant. Although the hotel is very nice, if you are looking for a neighborhood scene with an assortment of shops, cafés and restaurants you may want to stay in the “Shockhoe Bottom” or “CaryTown” sections of Richmond. But for this section of Richmond, this is my favorite hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear LeppFrog;

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your feedback on Tripadvisor. Yes, your are correct and the Shockoe Bottom area is certainly an area with some restaurants, and our complimentary shuttles will take you there too. We are also fortunate to have many new restaurants on Grace Street behind us; 525, Pasture, and Rappahannock, in addition to our Garden Grille and Thirst & Fifth lounge in the hotel. We appreciate your feedback, and comments, and look forward to your next visit here.

Thanks,