“A very good night's sleep.”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Before making the reservation at this hotel, I had read Trip Advisor comments about asking for a room on one of the higher floors, and to ask for an "inner room", i.e., one not overlooking one of the streets, especially Broad St, because of traffic noise. I made the reservation online, making the specific request for an upper floor interior room, and the front desk clerk did just that...We did not mind at all the bit of a walk from the elevator to our room. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet (additional charge) was very nicely prepared with cold items on the buffet, and hot items brought to one's table.

All service was excellent...cordial and courteous, from the valet parking attendant to the bellman and the shuttle driver. The shuttle was available within a 2-mile radius and relieved us of having to drive in unfamiliar territory.

Room Tip: To avoid traffic noise, ask for an upper floor, interior room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Kathryn;

Glad to see you read the reviews and selected a quiet interior unit and got a "good night's sleep". Sounded like the rest of your visit was great too ! Hope to see you soon.

John Cario - GM

There are newer reviews for Hilton Richmond Downtown

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Huge, spacious room, although it felt like we walked around 3 sides of the building to get there from the elevator. Great location, walked everywhere I wanted to go. Breakfast was really good. Room was clean & comfortable. My only complaint is the shower, very weak!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Pubcrawler73; I like your "screen name", did you hit any of the nearby Richmond pubs or restaurants, we have many close by ? We do appreciate your visit and feedback, and will certainly check on that shower you noted. Hope to see you back soon, and Happy New Year ahead. John C - GM

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Nice room for the price. Very clean. Comfortable beds. Due to lack of "free" parking we opted to use valet parking. Within walking distance to shopping, Starbucks, movie theater. There is an on-site restaurant but we chose to order out. Staff was extremely nice. After a long day -- I enjoyed the pianist in the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for your visit and great feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, the surrounding area, and our lobby too ! Hope to see you back soon.

Happy Holidays,

John Cario - GM

Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I wanted to enjoy a mini Christmas vacation in Richmond. The hotel is in the middle of downtown, located near several great restaurants, the Broad st. art community and the winter ice rink. The hotel staff was fantastic. The rooms were large and clean. The hot tub and pool as was a great experience when it was very cold outside. The breakfast of made to order omelets and all the accompaniments you could as for was wonderful. My wife and I were amazed by the staff. Not just one or two but every employee we dealt with or just passed in the halls or lobby was friendly and helpful. One of the best hotel stays I have experienced. The Christmas Parade and Art Walk made the weekend a wonderful start for the holidays.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear My Savannah;

Thank you so much for your RVA getaway, stay with us and feedback. Sounds like you had a great time in and out of the hotel. Happy New Year, and we hope to see you back soon !

John Cario

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed here for a concert at the coliseum at the beginning of December. It was in an ideal location within walking distance of the coliseum. The hotel lobby was very nice as was the hotel room. The lady who helped me check in was very friendly and provided excellent directions to the show. My friends and I decided to stop in at the bar before the concert which proved to be a mistake. I have never had such cold service at a bar in my life. I really felt like we were an inconvenience to the woman working. We were one of the few people there so it wasn't due to a crowd. I won't go into details as it was a small part of the hotel stay, but it was very odd. As for the room I slept well and could not hear anything from the hallway or other rooms. Th e room was quite large. Check out was a little strange. They had me down as having two cars and wanted to charge me twice for parking. The lady at the front desk didn't seem to believe that I had just one car so she called the valet. She then tried to send me outside to the valet to talk to him, but eventually put me on the phone with the valet with no explanation to him as to why I was on the line. This (as well as the frosty bar service) is not the service I typically expect at a Hilton property. A simple check out took over ten minutes when it usually just involves me telling the front desk attendant my room number. As a final note some of the rooms are quite far from the elevator. If you decide to use the stairs make sure you take your room key. We almost got locked in the stairwell until we figured that out. Judging from the other reviews I would imagine that this poor service is rare at this property and perhaps I caught these employees on a bad day. I would probably give this hotel another chance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevators as some rooms are quite far from them.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Mary;

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. While overall a 4 rating, and good feedback, we certainly missed the mark at the bar with "frosty service". That should be a "frosty mug, not service". I sent you a personal email to obtain some more details to address your comments, as you mentioned, and from our many other reviews this is not the norm. We hope to show we are 100% better than your lounge encounter, and we'll prove that on your next visit. John C. - GM.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

No complaints at all. Quality as expected. The room was clean and neat. The staff was cordial and welcoming. Checkout was quick and easy. The breakfast was cooked to order and perfect for this occasion.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Mark;

Thanks for your visit and feedback. It's great when everything goes as plan and expected ! We hope to see you back soon. John C. - GM

Reviewed 24 December 2013

On a scale of 1-10, my anniversary experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Richmond was a 20! My wife was thoroughly impressed with the surprise suite and the accomodations. The view of the city, from our room, was awesome. I look forward to returning for future events and sharing my experience with others.

Room Tip: Make sure to grab a drink and meal from Thirst & Fifth. You'll enjoy it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Rob;

Thank you for your recent "Anniversary" visit and feedback. I was glad to hear the team exceeded your expectations (20 out of 10 !) and you were wow'd you with your room and visit. We strive to go the extra mile if we hear of a special event, or if we need to comfort a guest for other reasons. Our philosophy is simply the golden rule, "treat others how you would want to be treated", when traveling and many times in a new / different City. Glad to hear they did so ! We look forward to your next visit to HGI - RVA. John Cario - GM