“Wonderful Rooms - Terrific Hospitality - Food Pricey”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Okay I loved the room. Very large and quite comfortable. There were two of us at a conference and there was plenty of room to spread out. In room refrigerator meant we could have cold bottled water or other items. Bed was wonderful - three nights of solid good sleep and no aches or pains in the a.m. I see complaints that guest couldn't tell the difference between very firm and very soft - if I am comfortable - it doesn't matter to me. The staff was really outstanding. Very gracious, helpful, everything they could and should be. Dining room hostess got me fresh iced tea the first morning (I was parched) ... and no charge. Entitled to a generous tip. Everyone went out of their way in unexpectedly freezing cold weather with snow. From the front desk to housekeeping and all the bellboys. Great staff. Only problem I have is NO breakfast except the buffet for $13.99. Some of us aren't on expense accounts and frankly I would NOT spend my employers money for a buffet at that price, when all I want is an egg, a piece of toast and some iced tea. Ended up across the street at the Starbucks for an egg sandwich .. and tea from them since I was there. Too bad, I would have spend breakfast $$ at the Hilton instead of at the Starbucks in Marriott - that's their choice. If they don't provide a breakfast option - I could find one.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you for your "Terrific" review after your visit. It is always a pleasure to hear out team delivered wonderful hospitality - our goal ! We'll review and address all your comments, as we also would love to keep you here for breakfast too. Sincerely, John Cario - GM

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I've stayed at this property several times when attending a conference across the street at the convention center. Always friendly, efficient service from bell/valet, reception, and restaurant. Nice breakfast. The lobby has nice sitting areas and I enjoyed well-made cocktails at the bar. It's a nice touch that the hotel is housed in the former flagship of Miller & Rhoads department store, and features M&R memorabilia, including the logo on the bar menu...immediately recognizable to Virginians old enough to remember, like myself!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your visit and feedback. Glad to see you noticed some of our historic features related to our Historic facility in the former Miller & Rhoads Dept. store. We continue to look for way's to allow the former glory to shine in the present day as a multi-use facility; Hotel, restaurants, and apartments as well. We look forward to your continued visits with us.

John Cario - GM

Reviewed 28 January 2014

If you need a basic place to stay, this property will do. Nothing to write home about but nothing overwhelmingly bad either. Get ready for beige. They hype the bed adjustment things, but no one in our group (about 50 rooms) could tell the difference btw very firm and very soft.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Sven;

Thanks for your visit, comments, as well your reply to my personal email to learn more about your visit. You are right, we need to take more advantage of our historical nature of the facility, and showcase some of the highlights of this beautiful restoration. Thanks for your comments, and we hope to see you back soon. John & team.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed here while I was in town to see Jersey Boys at the the Landmark Theater. Really convenient location and it was a full service hotel unlike most HG Inns. What impressed me most was the friendliness of the staff, from the shuttle driver,Ted, who took us to and from the theater to the front desk staff, the restaurant hostess and server at breakfast! When I walked down the halls every single housekeeper smiled and greeted me. I travel a lot and it was obvious that the culture of this hotel is all about warm hospitality. I ate dinner in the bar, grilled salmon, and it was very well prepared. Overall it was apparent that this is a well run hotel!

Stayed: January 2014

Dear Cynthia;

Thank you for your recent visit and "Excellent" review on Tripadvisor. Glad to hear you enjoyed the Jersey Boy's show and your stay with us. I will thank the team that assisted during this visit. We hope to see you back to RVA and our Hilton Garden soon.

John Cario - GM

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stay at this location in Downton Richmond a lot for business travel. On this visit I brought along my teenage daughter to take her to a concert. I let the GM know ahead of time and we were treated like Royalty. We stayed in room 409 and it provided a great NYC experience and my daughter really thought I was somebody for a day. Only parents of a teenager will get that. We are excited to return in the near future and GM John Cario runs a great location. I have zero complaints and I am a compaliner. I almost forgot, the bed was the most comfortable bed ever.

Room Tip: Try and get a room equal to room 409. The others are nice but this room was amazing.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Ben;

Great to hear you had some quality Father / Daughter time with us for a concert nearby. Congrats to make this happen, as many of us get too caught up with work / life ! Honestly, our goal and mission here is to "deliver the light and warmth of hospitality" as our founder Conrad Hilton set out to do. It's great to hear when we can do this for our guests in big or small ways. We hope to see you back soon.

John - GM

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The rooms & lobby were beautiful. We booked 3 rooms and they tried their best to accommodate us together. The girl at front desk was very friendly & nice. It was thanksgiving and it couldn't have been better. We had a great family time together. The only thing that was a little upsetting was the fact that we had to pay $30 for valet parking.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Cassy;

Thanks for your Thanksgiving visit and recent Tripadvisor post. Glad to hear you enjoyed some quality family time with us, and the rooms and hotel worked out for you. Yes, we do have overnight valet parking at $21 / night, and while competitive for the area, we also have some packages that include parking. Next visit perhaps look for the "Downtown Work Deal" to include parking, or weekend street parking in the city is free too.

Thanks again, enjoy your travels ahead.

John - GM

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Richmond was well appointed, gorgeous lobby and rooms. The banquet food was outstanding. Location is perfect! I would definitely recommend! Excellent! The pool looked nice though I didn't use it. The fitness room was OK…it would be nice to have more machines and one treadmill didn't work. The bar/lounge was a really nice place to have a drink and meet with colleagues. I'd stay here again!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear AJH;

Thanks for your visit and "Excellent" review. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us from the lobby to the rooms, food and service. The team has since addressed the treadmills and all is well, apparently a circuit breaker tripped. We hope to see you back again soon.

John C. - GM