“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, United States
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed at the Richmond Hilton Garden Inn while attending a function across the street at the Richmond Convention Center. The staff greeted me with a smile and was very friendly and helpful during my stay. The rooms were good, bed, floors, furniture and bathroom were clean and tidy. By the way, I love their adjustable beds. The hotel wireless internet was pleasantly fast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Woody;

Thank you for your visit and nice review. Glad to hear you enjoyed our Garden Sleep System beds, as well our fast internet service. We recently updated our complimentary high speed access to a faster fiber optic in and out speed, and well recieved by our many guests that count on good internet service. Hope to see you back soon.

John - GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

My general experience with Hilton properties is always consistently good and at this particular location was great! The people were very helpful and suggested locations to visit that added to the enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your recent visit, and your feedback. I was glad to hear you had an enjoyable weekend with us. We hope to see you back again soon.

John Cario - GM
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Great location downtown and convenient to VCU Medical Center. Hotel is built into an old department store and has high ceilings plus is furnished well. Very clean and has great service as well. Parking is a little steep if you want to valet your car, but every aspect was great. Excellent stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear ECU1987;

Thank you for your visit and feedback. I was glad to hear you had an "excellent stay", and you enjoyed our hotel in a former historic Miller & Rhoads department store. We hope to see you back soon.

John - GM
Enfield, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

My friend and I attended a comedy show at the Richmond Colesium last Saturday night (2/1/14) and attended a cheer competition at VCU on Sunday. We decided to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn for the night since it is near both venues. From check in to check out we were pleased (with the exception that neither of our keys worked on the first try...I suppose these things happen everywhere).

The front staff desk was pleasant and helpful enough. One employee, however, was stellar! His name is Travis and I believe he told us that he was a supervisor and did not normally work at the bar. He was extremely friendly and efficient. I ordered 3 cocktails, one which he was not sure how to make. Instead of complaining, he said I will definitely try to make it and whipped out a "cheat" booklet and made a delicious concoction. Before leaving, we wanted to take food up to our room. Our food orders were taken and promptly delivered with the same cheer as the moment we first sat down. He introduced us to a female server who was also from North Carolina. Though I cannot remember her name, she was great also. Our late night, hour long bar experience was awesome and the environment was inviting. Checker games were on tables and there were booths and tables that were available for people that didn't want to sit at the bar.

Our room was clean and large enough for the two of us. The bed was comfortable with an adjustable firmness/softness dial. We will definitely stay at this hotel or the Omni the next time we're in the area. We've stayed at the Marriott directly across the street from the HGI and while it's a decent property, we prefer the HGI.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ms. Pearl; Thanks for your recent visit to Richmond and stay with us at the HGI. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, the room, and especially the service from a few of our team. I will thank them accordingly. We hope to see you again on a return visit to our hotel.

John Cario
Afton, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Okay I loved the room. Very large and quite comfortable. There were two of us at a conference and there was plenty of room to spread out. In room refrigerator meant we could have cold bottled water or other items. Bed was wonderful - three nights of solid good sleep and no aches or pains in the a.m. I see complaints that guest couldn't tell the difference between very firm and very soft - if I am comfortable - it doesn't matter to me. The staff was really outstanding. Very gracious, helpful, everything they could and should be. Dining room hostess got me fresh iced tea the first morning (I was parched) ... and no charge. Entitled to a generous tip. Everyone went out of their way in unexpectedly freezing cold weather with snow. From the front desk to housekeeping and all the bellboys. Great staff. Only problem I have is NO breakfast except the buffet for $13.99. Some of us aren't on expense accounts and frankly I would NOT spend my employers money for a buffet at that price, when all I want is an egg, a piece of toast and some iced tea. Ended up across the street at the Starbucks for an egg sandwich .. and tea from them since I was there. Too bad, I would have spend breakfast $$ at the Hilton instead of at the Starbucks in Marriott - that's their choice. If they don't provide a breakfast option - I could find one.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for your "Terrific" review after your visit. It is always a pleasure to hear out team delivered wonderful hospitality - our goal ! We'll review and address all your comments, as we also would love to keep you here for breakfast too. Sincerely, John Cario - GM
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I've stayed at this property several times when attending a conference across the street at the convention center. Always friendly, efficient service from bell/valet, reception, and restaurant. Nice breakfast. The lobby has nice sitting areas and I enjoyed well-made cocktails at the bar. It's a nice touch that the hotel is housed in the former flagship of Miller & Rhoads department store, and features M&R memorabilia, including the logo on the bar menu...immediately recognizable to Virginians old enough to remember, like myself!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your visit and feedback. Glad to see you noticed some of our historic features related to our Historic facility in the former Miller & Rhoads Dept. store. We continue to look for way's to allow the former glory to shine in the present day as a multi-use facility; Hotel, restaurants, and apartments as well. We look forward to your continued visits with us.

John Cario - GM
Gloucester, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

If you need a basic place to stay, this property will do. Nothing to write home about but nothing overwhelmingly bad either. Get ready for beige. They hype the bed adjustment things, but no one in our group (about 50 rooms) could tell the difference btw very firm and very soft.

Dear Sven;

Thanks for your visit, comments, as well your reply to my personal email to learn more about your visit. You are right, we need to take more advantage of our historical nature of the facility, and showcase some of the highlights of this beautiful restoration. Thanks for your comments, and we hope to see you back soon. John & team.