“Super friendly staff, great downtown location”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I’ve stayed here several times over the past few years. It’s the ideal location when overnighting in Richmond for a downtown event. The front desk staff are always welcoming and friendly, which is a plus. Valet parking with in/out privileges is $21, which may seem pricey, but reasonable compared to other large cities. During this visit, I booked the hotel with points and cash $51; a bargain even with the valet parking fee. We were given the keys to room #503 and headed up to check in. This room was pretty far away from the elevators, in what seemed like a maize getting there. No problem for us, but those with mobility issues would have difficulty. As we approached the room, we couldn’t help but notice a few dirty glasses tucked in the corner by the exterior side of the door to the room. We were afraid we may walk into an unclean room or one already occupied. The room was quite spacious with loads of space between the beds and the opposite wall with desk/TV. The bathroom was spotless and the towels, thick and fluffy. The shower head offered fantastic massage like pressure, but the tub was slow to drain which left me standing in two inches of water throughout my shower. (I did mention this to the front desk clerk upon check-out). All was good until bed time. The beds were pretty hard, though both of were on the softer setting. The plentiful supply of pillows helped with a better sleep, until the city garbage company started emptying dumpsters in the wee hours of the morning. From then on, a sound sleep was not to be had, as the city was waking up with buses, sirens and such. I don’t really recall noise being such an annoyance in the past, but in this room it was. For the money paid, I can’t really complain. The room was clean; the staff, including valet, very friendly and the hotel in a perfect location. I wouldn't hestitate booking a room here in the future, but I would definitely avoid room #503 due to the noise factor.

Room Tip: #503 noisy room and a bit of a walk from the elevators, but very spacious
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kribbean
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Kribbean;

We appreciate your recent "points and cash" visit with us in Richmond. Thanks for your great feedback, and we'll certainly share your comments with the team. While you can at times hear the "sounds of the city" on our exterior rooms, we do have other interior, as well other rooms that are not as close to the street noises. We hope to see you back soon !

John and team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have stayed at this property four times in the past four weeks, while coming to Richmond on business. The hotel is is easy to reach off of I-95 and I-64. The valet parking is easy to use, and the staff bring your car up promptly. The public surface lot parking across the street is a bit less expensive, particularly if you arrive late and plan to leave early. The hotel is a standard HGI, with reasonable pool, fitness center, etc. The staff are very pleasant, and have come to recognize me in my multiple recent visits. Check in, check out and valet staff are all engaging, and meet you with a smile. The suites are clean and roomy (as a HH Diamond member I have been upgraded to suites 509, 609 or 709 every visit). My only issues are that there are not very many restaurant choices within walking distance for Sunday evening dinner, and there is a modest amount of street noise even when I have been staying on the 5th or 6th floor. Coffee for the in-room Keurig was in short supply on one visit, but plentiful on all my others. The fitness center was virtually empty when I went down to work out this morning at 7:30.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for your Hilton Diamond Status and many past stays with us. Glad to hear our friendly staff has recognized and assisted you on your visits. We do appreciate your other comments and will share your feedback with the team. Hope to see you back soon.

John Cario

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This past weekend my family traveled for a lacrosse tournament and enjoyed their stay. Check in was great and they were given an upgrade! The room was very nice with more than enough space. The staff was friendly and attentive including the restaurant staff. We would like to thank the entire staff and management for their hospitality. We will definitely stay here again when we are in the area!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and stay with us for the lacrosse tournament. Hoping all went well with the activities, I understand many college coaches were in town too. I was glad to see you had an "Excellent" stay, and we do thank you for your comments and hope to see you back soon.

John Cario - GM

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I enjoyed the hotel, the staff were wonderful, but since I was there on business and work for a non-profit, the price of the room I thought was high considering you had to pay for everything, including parking.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your visit and post. Glad to see you enjoyed our hotel, but yes Richmond at times with events and activities can be a bit pricey. Please watch for some of our packages that also include parking at times. Hope to see you back soon. John Cario, GM.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

If you are looking for a place for business or just to spend a few days in Richmond this is the place. Centrally located, easy to get to and the staff is very accommodating. Especially liked being able to use the hotel shuttle to get around town. Very nice touch!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

We thank you for your recent visit and great feedback. Hope to see you back real soon.

John and team.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stopped in Richmond on the way to Williamsburg. Everything about check-in and checkout was a breeze. Valet came out immediately and offered a luggage cart. The valet bills directly to the room and the service allows for unlimited in/out. The room was nice but doors were heavy (stuck when opening and shutting and very loud when slammed and the refrigerator unfortunately noisy. The beds were okay but a little hard for my liking. The shuttle service around town was excellent and a quick stop at Carytown was very enjoyable. At the Gastropub I found the drinks a bit on the pricey side so if i came back i would probably avoid this part of the hotel. The breakfast was very good and offered a great slection. Though it initially seemed a bit pricey the made to order omelets and french toast more than made up for it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent visit and great feedback on many components of your stay with us. I was glad to hear you had a "nice stop-off" and we met your expectations in most areas. I will address the noted items, as well sent you a personal note to find out your exact room.

Sincerely, John Cario - GM

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Positives: it was a good location in downtown Richmond. Walking distance to everything. I had a meeting at the Richmond Coliseum and it was a quick and easy 5 minute walk. The valet guys were quick and friendly. The front desk was very helpful. Room was quiet and clean

Negatives: Ordered one cocktail at the bar and it was $20. I would expect this at a New York Nightclub but not at a hotel bar in Richmond. Went to the bar at the Marriott across the street on the second night and it was only $8 for a drink.

1  Thank atlagunabeach
LWharton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Thank you for your response! I am glad you found your time with us enjoyable (friendly staff, clean rooms, etc.) I have shared your comments about your bar experience with our Food and Beverage team. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Richmond area!