“Very Average - 1King Bed 1 Bedroom Suite”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Good - Very Spacious, 2 fairly clean bathrooms with ample amenities (Neutrogena soaps and lotions), easy/efficient check in. Nice lobby. Downtown and Airport Shuttle.

The Bad - Sofa Bed is un-usable for children or adults. The "mattress" was springs with a cover, we had to improvise with the sofa cushions, chair cushions and towels to make this usable for our 11 yr old. The bedding in the bedroom (king bed) was sketchy - a flimsy sheet with tiny holes directly on top of the mattress (no mattress cover). The King bed was supposed to be adjustable for comfort but that feature did not work, when lifting the sheet to access the comfort adjustment I found dark stains on the side of the mattress I am going to hope it was coffee- bed was comfortable however . No breakfast room service (at least on Sunday not sure about the other days of the week), later in the day/evening room service was available.

The Staff - from valet to reception, personnel were fairly indifferent. While we were provided a luggage cart because we Valet parked our car, we had to push our own luggage into the hotel and to our room. As stated earlier the Check in was efficient, however we were the only party checking in at the time.

This is a downtown hotel so you will have street noise, especially if you get located in the front directly on the street. Our room was not on the street (on 2nd floor), it was overlooking the "Very small" parking lot. We still had a great deal of traffic noise (and emergency sirens) even on a Sunday. $21/day for Valet or you can park your car yourself on the street somewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel will get a great deal of street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
LWharton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I have messaged you privately to address some of the concerns your revealed about your time with us. It is never our goal to have a guest with less than stellar accomodations or less than friendly service. I hope you allow us the opportunity to host you again in the future. You can count on us to address this and make your next stay outstanding!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is new and the suites are spacious and reasonably priced.
Bathrooms were clean.
Overnight parking is expensive, the valets were efficient, but not overly friendly. Same for the front desk staff.
They had complimentary coffee but no newspapers and no convenience stores close by at which to purchase papers.
We probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your review! While your rating overall was positive, I have messaged you privately to address some of your concerns about the level of service (as we strive to do our best with every guest!). I hope you allow us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my second time staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Downtown Richmond and much like the first time I enjoyed everything about my stay. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The rooms are wonderful, comfortable, clean and enjoyable. The overall experience of my stay was pleasant and I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your review! I am glad to see you enjoyed your time with us. Our team works extremely hard to provide top-notch service, and we are glad to see that our efforts paid off! We can't wait to have you back with us again!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I surprised my wife with a trip to Richmond; where we went to college and met. We had a great time. Room service was very good and the folks at the front desk were phenomenal. We were upgraded to an oversized room and it was great! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Downtown Richmond.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Clint;

Glad to hear you surprised the wife with a visit back to where you met. We appreciate your feedback on Tripadvisor, and hope to see you back soon. I'll share your feedback with the team. Sincerely, John Cario - GM

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a great experience at this hotel. The hotel was clean and our room was enormous. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. I would recommend staying at this hotel!!! You can't beat the price as most other hotels were twice as much.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thanks for your visit and positive feedback, glad you'll "definitely stay again" with us, and you found great value with our property. We look forward to that next visit to Richmond.

John & Team

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I grew up in Richmond and have fond memories of traveling to Miller & Rhodes with my mother to shop or go to the Tea Room. Walking on the original M&R floors brought back those fond memories. The developers of this property did an amazing job transforming this department store icon into a comfortable hotel maintaining some features and exceptional customer service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Felicia;

Thank you for your recent visit to our Historic Miller & Rhoads HGI, and glad you experienced some "excellent value" while here. Hope to see you back soon. John and team.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have been staying at the HGI in Richmond for over a year and a half and one of the reasons I love this hotel is the warm and caring service I have received from Miss C (the night front desk staff person). She takes care of me during my stay and I love how positive and friendly she is every time I see her. While there seems to be turnover in the day front desk staff, Miss C is a consistent welcoming face of the hotel. I hope to always see her bright smiling face when I travel to Richmond and stay at the HGI.

Cherie Ismail

Room Tip: Ask at the desk for rooms that are low in noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Cherie;

Thank you for your many visits and your recent post. Nice to hear Ms. C assists and gives the "best customer" service to you during your stays. I will be thanking her of course, and we look forward to your return visits.

John Cario - GM