“GREAT value”

Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Ranked #31 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here based on the TA reviews and were very pleased. It was nothing flashy, just a good, clean hotel in a good location for the airport. It was also close to the main interstate which was nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank stedman73
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2011

Thank you Stedman73 for your recent review of our hotel. I was very glad to see you had an enjoyable stay with us. We are normally an extended stay hotel, but we are so close to interstate 64, interstate 95, and interstate 295 that we see alot of 1-2 night transients, and we welcome them along with everyone else. I am glad that you had a nice stay, and I hope that if you find yourself in the Richmond area again, that you will stop by and stay, or at least stop by and say hello. Consider us home.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Our trip to VA was only for a few short days, but we stayed at Candlewood because of it's glowing reviews and we liked the fact that Mr. Brown responds to each review personally.

The room was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. The lobby and other areas were very clean and we did not smell any smoke at all.

We would definitely recommend this hotel, and if we're ever in the area again, we will be staying here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Kittywulfe
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Thank you so much Kittywulfe for your recent review of our hotel. I am very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. We want to make sure that all of our guests get that personal touch you don't normally receive from other hotels, hence something as easy as writing a response to everyone that took the time to review our hotel. We take great pride in our cleaning procedures and make sure that each room is 100% ready for our guests. If you find yourself in the Richmond area, give me a call and I can get a room set up for you. Consider us home.

Reviewed 7 July 2011

Recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites by RIC and loved it. The best part of the stay is the kitchen. It is really handy if you are staying for a long term, I didn't have to go out and eat every meal. Property was really nice, and a side note, I didnt notice a smoke smell as the last reviewer. They do have smoking rooms though, but management had mentioned doing away with it. Great staff, would fully recommend to anyone looking for a neat and quiet place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Thank you VTLegend86 for your recent review of our property. I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. To clarify, yes, we are in the process of becoming a smoke free establishment. It will take some time, but we hope that by the end of this coming fall, we can roll out the redone rooms and be completely smoke free. Also, the kitchen in each room is a brand standard, since we are an extended stay property. I am glad that you could utilize this feature that we provide, and hope that if there is anything more we can do you will contact us. Thank you again for staying with us at Candlewood Suites - Richmond Airport. Consider us home.

Reviewed 2 July 2011

Stayed there one night. Price was good, room was comfortable, loaction fine, parking good, staff friendly, checkin easy. The thing is this: the whole hotel positively REEKED of cigarette smoke. I mean, it was really gross. I asked the front desk clerk about it, and he said they only allow smoking in the 8 rooms there on the ground floor nearest the front desk. 1st: Allow smoking at all? What? 2nd: Allow smoking on the 1st floor, so the odor can rise up thru the rest of the hotel? 3rd: Allow smoking right there at the entrance so it's the first thing new guests encounter?

Honestly: it was a fine hotel otherwise, but I would never stay there again just for that one reason. It's worth more money to me to not have to smell that stuff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank kenblakely
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2011

Thank you Kenblakely for your recent review of our hotel. First off, let me apologize for the inconvenience you experienced here during your stay. Yes, the hotel does allow smoking. Virginia is more relaxed on it's smoking laws as other states. I can understand that this would be an issue for someone who can not tolerate cigarette smoke, but 95% of the time we keep the smell and smoke in check. I have personally been walking the halls this morning, and could not smell smoke in any of the hallways, except for a feint smell on the first. Of course I am not saying that you didn't smell cigarette smoke, but most likely it was a guest's door blocked open or someone may have lit one before exitting the building. All of these are unforseen circumstances, and we always try and prevent these things from happening. It sounds like every other aspect of the stay was great, but this one issue is what ruined it for you. I would hope that you could give us another chance, but we understand if smoking is an issue that you can not tolerate. We thank you again for the review, and hope you have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 28 June 2011

It was my 1st stay at this location. I found it to be well maintained, quiet, and the front desk personnel was quite helpful. I appreciated the information volunteered by the desk. I also appreciated the "green technology" used in the hotel. One suggestion: Have recycle bins at the end of the hallways or possibly outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Join their free Priority Club for discounts
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Thank you esykes1 for your review of our hotel and you stay with us. We are always looking for new and better ways to improve our guest's stays here with us. The recycling bin idea has been put through to those that approve such changes. With our "green technology" conservation methods, I am sure we will see it soon. I am greatful to hear you had a pleasant stay with us, and that our personnel here could help and make your stay more enjoyable. We were recently awarded with the overall best review scores by IHG, for Candlewood Suites' in the Richmond and Virginia Beach areas, and we constantly strive for excellence in customer service. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope that whether it is business or pleasure that brings you to Richmond, you choose Candlewood Suites - Richmond Airport.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 10 days while looking for a home in the Richmond area. We were extremely pleased with the size, cleanliness, comfort and decor of the room. The hotel amenities are great (24 hour snack room, free laundry!, gas barbecues, gym). The staff members were all helpful and friendly.

We were in a one bedroom suite with a king sized bed (and it was very comfy!), and unlike other hotels whose "suites" consist of a microwave and refrigerator, this room actually had those plus a dishwasher, oven and 2-burner stove. There was plenty of cabinet space, dishes, utensils, pans and even tupperware.

The only annoying thing was that the air conditioners are set to automatically shut off after you've been gone for 15 minutes, which is great, except that this also seems to apply when you're sleeping. We woke up hot at about 4am pretty much every morning and had to get up and take a few steps toward the thermostat so it would "see" us and kick the air back on. No biggie, it certainly didn't ruin our stay, but something management should consider during the hottest months.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

Thank you Jayjen for your recent review of our hotel. We are extremely glad to hear that you had a great stay with us, and that we could accomodate your needs during your house search. Every one of our rooms, not just our one bedroom king suites, has the full kitchen setup. We try and make sure that our guests have the same things they would have at home. I am sorry to read that you had an issue with the air conditioning in the room. They are set to turn off after 15 minutes of non-use, which is the eco-friendly setting that we try and utilize all of the time. There is a way to bi-pass the settings and have it constantly on, but this tends to make the room extremely cold. I hope that this has not deterred you from coming back and staying with us again, and if you do come back, let the desk know about the previous air conditioning issue, and they can tell you how to bi-pass it. Thank you again for your great review of our property, and please stop by and see us again. Consider us home!

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Wow what a steal!! No pool = No kids! Had a very relaxing time and would stay again in a heartbeat. Very little Airplane noise. Great night sleep and good location to see many different plantations. Very pleased with out hotel choice.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you GaTraveler0808 for your review of our hotel. I am greatful to hear that you had a nice and quiet stay with us. Our extra insulated rooms eliminate the vast majority of sounds, including jet noise. We always want our guests to have a great night sleep, and not have to contend with airplanes or other outside noises. I hope that if you find yourself in the Richmond area again, that you will stop by and say hello, and maybe even stay the night with us again. Thank you again for choosing Candlewood Suites.

-James Brown, General Manager-

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64
Best Western Plus Governor's Inn
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond-South

Been to Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!