“Cleanest hotel ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Greenville, North Carolina
“Cleanest hotel ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

My husband and I traveled to Richmond to visit my sister and stayed for two nights. We travel a lot on the weekends and stay in extended stay hotels usually because we like to have a kitchenette. This hotel was the cleanest hotel I have ever seen in my life! Even the work out and laundry space was very clean. This was also very quiet than what you would expect for an airport hotel. I will definitely stay here again when I return to visit my sister.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Thank you Carol J for your review of our hotel. I am very pleased to hear about your stay with us. I understand the wanting of a kitchenette, it does make life much easier when you dont have to go out and eat for every meal. We have rigorous cleaning schedules to make sure that the entire property maintains a warm, cleanly atmosphere. It seems that it has been noticed. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can set you up for your stay. At Candlewood Suites, consider us home.

-James Brown - Hare, General Manager-

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Woodbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed here one night on the way to Myrtle Beach and one night on the way back. The location is good, especially if you are going to be flying out of Richmond airport. They do have a free shuttle. The rooms were clean and spacious. We had a suite with a full kitchen and hot tub. The mattresses were comfortable and no sign of bed bugs. There was a free hot breakfast buffet which was ok. They have a small pantry where you can buy some snacks during your stay. If you are arriving really late, you have to do a self check-in, because the front desk closes at 10:00 pm. We arrived really late on the first night (midnight), and there still was someone at the desk. However, the system put us down as a no show, and the clerk cancelled our 2'nd night by mistake. When we returned for the second night, we had no reservation. The clerk said that she couldn't give me a room, so I called Priority Club and they were the ones that told me that the hotel cancelled my reservation (apparently the hotel didn't know that). Finally, they gave me the room after about an hour of calls. The staff really did not want to help me out and made me make all the calls, which I found was very unprofessional.
Besides that, everything else was ok. I would not stay here again because I prefer more service and this is more of a "do it yourself" type hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Deannpg
Southern NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

When we cut short our Charleston stay due to heating and a/c problems in our expensive downtown hotel room, we moved on to Richmond and had to find a place to stay for two nights. Our adult daughter pulled out her smartphone and went to TripAdvisor.

Based on the reviews and its location nearer to the Northern Neck of Virginia where we would be going next, I booked the rooms over the phone as we drove from Charleston to Richmond.

We were happy with our stay at Candlewood Suites. The rooms were large, the kitchens extensive, and the bathrooms immaculate. Only drawback: since it is an extended stay hotel, the ice machine is the ice machine in your kitchen, and the ice machine needs to be turned on in order to provide ice. Towels were especially fluffy, and extras were available at the front desk if necessary, since sheets and towels are not changed daily as at a "regular" hotel. Beds were extremely comfortable.

The lobby was quite attractive, and out back there were barbeques where families could hold parties in the summer.

The location was excellent in that all of Richmond's attractions were accessible, but Candlewood Suites is on a plot of ground by itself, so if you want to take a walk from the hotel, that is not going to happen! And although this location was advertised as the airport location, we did not notice! Best of all, we did not pay those outrageous downtown hotel prices.

I would definitely try another Candlewood Suites location on another vacation.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank GreenUnicorn
Thank you GreenUnicorn for your review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear about your earlier experience with another hotel, but we are glad that you stayed with us in Richmond. I wanted to comment on a few things you had made mention of in your review, to try and clear up any confusion. The ice machines in the freezers are the only ice machines, yes, but that is a Candlewood standard. The fact that they are not on when guests check in is another standard, referred to as a "sign of a previous guest". We are mainly geared as an extended stay hotel, so some of the things done at a transient hotel are not done with us. Every day of intrusion from a housekeeper is done away with, as most of our guests are long term, and prefer privacy. I am glad that you had a good stay with us, and I hope that if you find yourself in the Richmond area again, you will come by and stay with us again. Consider us home.

Highland Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

I've never done a review for a hotel before, but I felt I had to with this place. They had amazing prices. I felt like I got alot for my money. The best part was the room. The person at the front desk told me they had been open 3 years, but it looked brand new. Really nice people working there too. I read a few reviews before staying here, but I didnt notice the smoke smell some people mentioned :/ Totally recommended to friends

Room Tip: Rooms that face the back lot have better cell reception.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Johnathen M for your review of our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do boast some of the best prices in the entire airport area. And, you can expect the best extended stay accommodations around. If you find yourself in the area again, please stop by. Even if you don't get a room, we always enjoy seeing guests again and again. At Candlewood Suites, consider us home.

South Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

My oldest daughter and I stayed here for two nights when visiting Virginia for a symposium. We loved it! It was very close to the Richmond Airport, but we had no airport noise. The mini kitchen was wonderful. The hotel is just down the street from a well stocked outdoor mall area with a bunch of restaurant choices. The rooms were clean and quiet and the staff was friendly. My only complaint would be the strong scent of cigarette smoke that tended to waft through the lobby and into the elevators.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FlaTripper75
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Thank you FlaTripper75 for your recent review of your stay with us. First and foremost, happy holidays! I am so glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We are practically right in the center of everything here near the airport. As you mentioned, we are just a minute away from the White Oak Shopping Center, where there are over 25 different stores and outlets, not to mention the 7-8 different restaurants, all conveniently located nearby. I am sorry to hear about the smoke problem, we are constantly trying to eliminate that issue. We hope to be a non-smoking hotel soon, it is a long and arduous process. I hope that in the future, if you find yourself in Richmond again, you will call us and let us set up your next reservation. Here at Candlewood Suites, consider us home.

Goteed1
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

Had 1 night stay for business here and was due to arrive shortly before midnight. I called ahead and they told me as long as I arrive even a minute before midnight, if I call in to the hotel, the shuttle driver will stick around for me. I arrived at 11:40pm and called the hotel and kept getting voicemail. Couldn't leave a message either because the voicemail was full. I had to take a taxi who was surly and overcharged me for the quick trip and then he became even more mean because I would only pay by credit card.

I had to buzz into the lobby where the front desk person was in some kind of "fort" that closes up after midnight. WHen I explained what happened, all she could say, was "Oh that must have been you that was calling" Uhm yeah, that was me. Never explained why they couldn't actually pick up the phone.

Anyhow, too bad they lost me, because the room was nice and big and brand new, had everything you would need for your stay. But there was just too much drama for a quick overnight, so adios Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Justneedreservations
Thank you Goteed1 for your recent review of your stay with us here at the Candlewood Suites. First and foremost, let me apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your short stay. The fort you mentioned is the front desk, we operate on extended stay practices that have the hours of operation for the front desk from 7am to 11pm. The phone operates as a cordless phone so the front desk has mobility to complete their multiple tasks during each shift. This is all technical issues that should not have affected your stay, and I apologize for this. It would be a shame for you to comdemn all Candlewood's for a technical mishap that occured with us, and would encourage you to try us again. Feel free to contact me if you are in the area again, and we can set up something for you in the future.

virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I have stayed here before and reviewed before but need to add some new info. This trip we flew out, left our car here and stayed on the end of the trip. To do this, you have to make contact with one of the managers as they are the only ones who set your reservation up. This took a little time to accomplish. There were no problems with our car. I call the day of our return to notify them of the time to expect our call for pick up. All their staff is very helpful and friendly.
We arrived about 10:45 pm and I had reserved a queen room. Unfortunately, the front desk staff did not ask us if we minded 2 doubles or the noise of the elevator. We were put in room 118 which is next to the elevator. We got premium ice cream and a soda out of their 24 hour canteen. Nice to not have to leave for a snack. We did not hear the elevator noise until about 5 am and then it was pretty much non-stop all morning. Also heard all the bags and carts rolling over the tile floors toward the front desk. We had difficulty falling asleep so it made for a very long travel day the next day. I did speak with the manager concering this room and whether or not they were full. They were not. I encouraged that staff be instructed to tell patrons about the elevator rooms and provide options when available. They did not offer a price adjustment but did offer to comp my next stay. We will stay again but will certainly ask where the room is before paying.

Room Tip: Room 118 is next to elevator and you want to avoid this room on every floor. Not well insulated fro...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Crazyteapot for staying with us again, and for your most recent review of your stay. On occasion, it is necessary to have person's stay in one of our 4 rooms near the elevator, and we usually only use these rooms when we are near the sold out mark for that room type. Most likely, we could have moved you to another room type, such as our double full room, and avoided the elevator issue. When a reservation comes in, first and foremost, we want to honor the room type of the reservation. I want to apologize that you had to stay in one of these rooms, and assure you on your next stay, you will not have to worry about that happening again. Make sure when you make your next reservation, please put down in the comments section that you would like to be away from the elevator, even if it means a change in room type, and we will certainly make the arrangements for you. I am glad to hear that everything else was great with your stay, and hopefully the next time you come out, we will not disappoint. Remember, consider us home.

-James Brown-Hare, General Manager-
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn
No photo provided
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Hyatt Place Richmond Airport

Been to Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!