“Excellent Airport Hotel”

Hyatt Place Richmond Airport
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 31 January 2013

This is one of the nicest airport hotels in which I have stayed. My husband and I stayed here one night, and the staff was very nice and helpful in locating food and a drugstore. The continental breakfast was nicer than most. We booked this hotel through hotwire, with a surprise hotel for a certain price range and star rating. We were definitely pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BlueTulip88
Nicole S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words and taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful in directing you to the stores in the area that you were looking for while in Richmond. We certainly hope to see you again in the near future!

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Richmond Airport

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel one night in December. It had clean large rooms, nice ambience in the lobby....we got our room for $55 on priceline and we were not disappointed. The hotel is in the middle of a big shopping center with many places to walk to for meals. The only problem is that it is not Short Pump. The stores are Target, JC Penney's, Martins, Five Below, etc. Not exactly upscale shopping. The food is of the Olive Garden, TGIF, Cracker Barrel variety with about 20 fast food options thrown in for good measure - ie, Chick Filet, MacDonalds, etc. But it is convenient to the airport. The beds were most excellent. We slept like tops in a clean, safe environment....so it was a good stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank happybermuda
Nicole S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Thank you so much for selecting us as your home away from home! I am happy you found our large guest room to your liking. We always like hearing that our guests experienced a great night's rest when they stay with us. We work hard to ensure a wonderful experience and I'm glad to see you enjoyed your visit! We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 26 December 2012

On Friday, December 21, 2012 I made a direct online reservation with the Hyatt Place Richmond Airport. My AAA rate was quoted at $80 per night with taxes bringing the total to $90.40. I had made an identical reservation for Saturday, December 22, 2012 several weeks earlier at the same rate. When I checked in I advised the clerk of that reservation and she indicated that she could put me in a room so that my reservation would be contiguous for the next evening. On 12/22/2012 when I returned to my hotel room around 10 PM I found that my keys would not work. I went downstairs and advised the desk clerk that might keys would not open room 501 and she reconfigured my keys without asking for my name or any other identification. Both my wife and I were extremely surprised that she would rekey the cards without asking for any identification or even my name. Doesn't say much for security does it?. On Sunday morning when I went to the front desk to check out they had no record of me being in that room for my Saturday night stay. I explained the situation. The desk clerk then he gave me the rate in which my reservation confirmed.

Before leaving my sister who was staying at the same property indicated that they had charged her $25 per night to her credit card for "incidentals". We both the stayed at the Hyatt Place Richmond Airport and this had not occurred in the past. I checked my credit card and found that I had been correctly charged $90.40 for my 12/21/2012 stay however there were two charges for the 12/22 stay with one being $110.74 and the other being $85.74. I explained this to the front desk clerk and he indicated that he would take care of it and charge the correct amount. When I asked about the $25 per night incidental charge he indicated that this was now standard. I have searched the corporate as well as property website and can find no mention of such. When I reviewed my confirmations there is no mention at all of such anywhere with the section stating additional tax and service charges being 5.00% tax + 8.00% Occupancy Tax. This at the least is deceitful.

Additionally a large bag of extra hotel bedding the stayed in the hallway floor causing an obstruction from around 10 PM on Saturday night until I checked out at 10 AM the next morning. This made it difficult to walk much less use the luggage cart.

Finally the hotel offers a complimentary hot breakfast. By hot they mean oatmeal, several breads and coffee. There was cold cereal, yogurt and fruit. It really is a poor, meager breakfast.
I've stayed at this property on many occasions without problem however I doubt I will ever stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank chirodr2
Nicole S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I apologize for the issues you had with your room keys not working properly and for our failure to modify the two separate reservations into one continuous stay reservation. I have shared your experience with our Lead Gallery Host so that any necessary re-training on the proper procedure for making those modifications to a reservation is fully in place with the Gallery Host staff.
I would like to also apolize for any confusion regarding the $25 hold placed on your sister's credit card for incidentals. This is not an actual charge to the card, but rather an authorization obtained for any potential incidentals incurred during your stay. The same way an authorization is obtained for the cost of your room charge. Your credit card is not actually charged until you have checked out. If no incidentals occurred, the hold amount for incidentals is released at the hotel upon check out. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would need further clarification. I would be happy to assist you.
I have also shared your concern regarding the bedding that was left in the hallway with our Executive Housekeeper so that we can avoid this from becoming a recurring issue for our guests.
Lastly, I wanted you to know that our breakfast is being upgraded substaintially to include many more hot breakfast options for our guests and will be in place by February.
I truly do appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continue to make improvements to the service we provide for our guests. We do hope that you would be open to giving us another opportunity to serve you, should your travels bring you back to the Richmond area. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with information on where our opportunities for growth are.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

I'll let you read the other reviews for specifics, but overall I liked it. No complaints, but not wow-ed by anything either (not that I have/need to be for me to enjoy my stay). One note, I was provided shampoo, conditioner, and toothpaste, but no lotion in my room. Odd.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Having stayed at the Hyatt Place RIC last November, I had no reservations about booking another stay for a business trip this year. However, I found the service to be woefully lacking this time.

While it is a newer Hyatt Place, the rooms lack a few things that would make it truly great. For one, blackout drapes. Yes, the draperies block light, but they don't fully meet in the middle or cover the sides, so light comes in anyway. I'm a big stickler for blackout drapes as I travel across multiple time zones and, frankly, really need it to adjust to a new zone. Secondly, the shower is weird - it's a walk-in, which is great, but the 'door' is really a 1/3 partition.

The biggest source of irritation this trip was housekeeping. When I checked in on a Sunday evening, there was a McDonald's bag of trash just off the elevator on the 5th Floor. When I checked out Tuesday morning, it was still there. And, yes, you could smell it. Secondly, my Monday morning meeting was at 10 AM, so I visited the gym (which is a little on the light side...) and had breakfast downstairs. At 8:40 AM, housekeeping slid a note under my door telling me they would not service my room as I had the 'do not disturb' sign up. I could understand if it was 2 PM, but before 9!? Unacceptable. But, the rooms are nicely equipped, spacious, and in good working order.

Net, I think there are better options in the area. This one's just OK.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2012

i am a platinum member of the Hyatt chain and I was very disappointed with this Hyatt Place. i usually stay at the location in Glen Allen but stopped going there because the service was awful and another one of my colleagues said she had a roach in her room. The Hyatt Place at the airport is newer than the other one so I decided to stay there. I checked in and the front desk was helpful and greeted as they should. We I got to my room i put my wine in the fridge and notice baby formula. I had ordered food so I took the formula downstairs, returned to my room and notice a dirty diaper in the corner. Needless to stay i requested another room and they gave me a handicap room. Everything waist level!!!!! Its was midnight and I was tired and did not want to change rooms AGAIN. Wont be back for a while.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Arrival and check-in was great, The location is very good, just off I-64, and very close to all shopping and many restaurants. The room was very nice and roomy with a clean bathroom and beautiful decore. The only confusion and hold-up was at checkout due to Expedia failing to provide method of charging (paying) for the room. The desk attendant explained the process of booking through a third party, Expedia, and resulting in paying more for the room versus calling the hotel directly. Lesson Learned.

Room Tip: I liked the view of the stores and activity. The other side just faces the highway.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport
Homewood Suites Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Courtyard Richmond Airport

Been to Hyatt Place Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!