“Disappointing weekend” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Disappointing weekend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We were in Richmond for the Jefferson Cup soccer tournament and our team had used the travel agency that we were required to use to book our rooms, well in advance. When we first arrived everything seemed okay. The room was nice, comfortable and very clean. It went downhill from there. I cannot begin to stress how poorly managed this hotel is! The first night we tried to buy a beer to sit in the lobby and visit with other parents. On a Friday night, they were sold out of most beer choices. Do you realize how much money you lost by not planning ahead? I saw annoyed customer after annoyed customer walk away. i asked if I could bring my own beer into the lobby area since they were out of anything I would drink. I was told no. The next night when they were sold out of all beers( there is a Target next door to replenish when you realize that you are way under stocked for the weekend) I noticed many people drinking their own beers but no one told them no. On Saturday, 5 of our families arrived early for check-in that had only booked for the one night. All afternoon they were told the rooms were not ready yet. When they arrived back from our afternoon game they were told they had overbooked and they would have to stay down the road at another hotel. That was bad enough but then I proceeded to watch them check in others once our families were gone. We booked months in advance. When I asked the lady at the desk how she was still checking people in when she had sent our families elsewhere she got very flustered and said she was doing what she was supposed to do??? What? Did I mention that one of the 2 elevators broke on Friday and was still broken on Sunday when we carried our belongings down 7 flights of stairs? No water pressure either in the showers. They also did not plan or re-adjust the second day when the breakfast was constantly out of food. Even coffee was empty. When you are sold out, get as much staff as possible, load the beer fridge and buy extra for the storage room( it doesn't go bad) and do your best to make the weekend smooth so people will return. The hotel itself is a nice place but they have a lot to work on before they ever have a packed house again. We will certainly never choose this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sarah B
Nicole S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond Airport, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
I do appreciate your feedback as it is valuable patrons like you who help us continually improve our services. While we did double our beer, liquor, and spirits order in preparation for this event, we realize that that was not sufficient and I apologize for that. Unfortunately, VA state liquor laws strickly prohibit us from purchasing alcohol from any non licensed vendor, so we could not go out and pick up any additional beer over the weekend. I am also sorry that the elevators were slow and one of them went down during your stay. This was due to excessive usage with the number of parents and children utilizing them during this soccer tournament weekend. I assure you that we are addressing all of your concerns to ensure that future guests do not experience the challenges you've described. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

Stayed at this property again using points as a platinum member. Not much changed since my last stay regarding cleanliness. There was a new hotel manager but she was not on the property when I checked in so I asked the front desk supervisor to take a tour of the hallways with me and she agreed. I noted the debris scattered in the hallways as well as towels. She picked the items up and was very professional. Like others, I too was actually CHARGED the incidental fee (NOT A HOLD) for which I did not agree to nor did I purchase anything. I could not get in touch with the hotel manager due to the holiday so I had to contact Hyatt customer relations, who are the best of all brands by the way. They contacted the hotel for me and had them credit the amount back to my card but I had to contact them yet again to remove the HOLD on my credit card which re,ained for a few weeks. I would suggest that anyone who stays here to immediately check your credit card charges about a day after check out as there is no telling what this location will charge you. Thankfully, they are under the Hyatt umbrella which dictates what they can charge and will help you with this local policy.

Room Tip: end corners are the best
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Charles B
I understand how valuable your time is and greatly appreciate that you have taken the time to provide the feedback you have to us. I apologize for any inaccurate or incorrect charges that appeared on your card as a result of our incidental hold policy. And for any delays in getting that taken care of for you. I hope that should your travels bring you back to the Richmond area, you will give us another opportunity to provide the excellent service you've come to expect from Hyatt.
washington, dc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed here one night for a Richmond outing to the theater and a downtown restaurant. You are about 7 miles from downtown, but the price was right. I got a $49 Priceline deal. The hotel was nice and located next to new and upscale shopping centers. Others companied about the area in their reviews, but I felt safe. The room was clean with nice sheets and pillows. There is a separate sitting room with a large sofa, ottoman, desk, and fridge. The bathroom was clean and had plenty towels, toiletries, etc... I did not see a safe in the room, which I always like for my laptop. I did not go down for the free continental breakfast, but my husband did and said he only had the fruit. I think you needed to order eggs extra, but don't quote me on that.
The check-in staff was cordial and efficient. We didn't need help beyond that. I gave it four stars instead of five because, I found the check-in desk/bar odd and there seemed to be people who were employees coming and going, but they weren't wearing name tags or uniforms, which I found unprofessional. I would stay here again if I got the same deal.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank askcloee
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy that you found our hotel and the guest rooms to your liking. I also wanted to let you know that while our guest rooms do not have safes in the rooms, we do provide safety deposit boxes for valuables should you like to keep any secured during your next stay. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Richmond area.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and have always been pleased with my stay. Modern rooms are always clean and beds and linens clean and comfortable. The large flat screen tv and sitting area in the room is a nice touch. The continental breakfast is better than most and the staff always extremely nice and attentive. The hotel is located near a very large shopping area with numerous stores and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Doug B
Nicole S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond Airport, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal to exceed your expectations and it's nice to hear that we've done so each time you've stayed with us. We appreciate your business and that you took time out of your day to write a review. We look forward to serving you again!
Marion, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

Travelled to Virginia as part of a city council delegation for a due dilligence trip. Firstly, we got a great rate, partly as a government rate,but the rates for normal price were also very competitive. A quick 5 or 10 minute trip from the airport.

The hotel looks great and is close to many restaurants and plenty of shopping (near a mall). But looks can sometimes be deceiving. In this case, the lobby and the rooms are just as sharp as the outside of the building. Our group was greeted immediately by Ms. Kim. She was unbelievably friendly (as all the staff was during our 3 day/2 night stay) and got us set up with our rooms while giving us some grief -i.e. good natured teasing.

I have rarely been at hotels where all the staff are nice, initiate conversation, polite, and just generally good people. i couldn't be more impressed with my stay. Even if the rooms were average, i would give this hotel high marks because of all the staff. You couldn't have a better group of folks as hosts.

I doubt I'd ever go to Richmond again, but if I do, I would definitely stay here. Easy Interstate access as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms our group have were very nice. Big desk, sofa sectional, big TV, big bed, big shower...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CraigAdamson
Wow, what wonderful compliments! We are delighted you decided to stay at Hyatt Place Richmond Airport and are pleased you enjoyed our hotel, the location and most of all our Hosts. They will be very excited to hear how they had such a positive impact on you during your stay with us! They really enjoy knowing they make a difference. Thank you for sharing your experience. We hope you do make it back to Richmond and that you’ll be our guest once again!
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

This is one of the nicest airport hotels in which I have stayed. My husband and I stayed here one night, and the staff was very nice and helpful in locating food and a drugstore. The continental breakfast was nicer than most. We booked this hotel through hotwire, with a surprise hotel for a certain price range and star rating. We were definitely pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BlueTulip88
Thank you so much for the kind words and taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful in directing you to the stores in the area that you were looking for while in Richmond. We certainly hope to see you again in the near future!
Springfield, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel one night in December. It had clean large rooms, nice ambience in the lobby....we got our room for $55 on priceline and we were not disappointed. The hotel is in the middle of a big shopping center with many places to walk to for meals. The only problem is that it is not Short Pump. The stores are Target, JC Penney's, Martins, Five Below, etc. Not exactly upscale shopping. The food is of the Olive Garden, TGIF, Cracker Barrel variety with about 20 fast food options thrown in for good measure - ie, Chick Filet, MacDonalds, etc. But it is convenient to the airport. The beds were most excellent. We slept like tops in a clean, safe environment....so it was a good stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank happybermuda
Nicole S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond Airport, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Thank you so much for selecting us as your home away from home! I am happy you found our large guest room to your liking. We always like hearing that our guests experienced a great night's rest when they stay with us. We work hard to ensure a wonderful experience and I'm glad to see you enjoyed your visit! We look forward to seeing you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Holiday Inn Express Richmond Airport

Been to Hyatt Place Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!