“Luxurious, reasonable, comfortable and relaxing stay in Richmond, VA - a real treat!”

HYATT House Richmond-West
Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Huntington, NY
Reviewed 13 September 2009

My husband thoroughly enjoyed his stay at Hotel Sierra. He was pleasantly surprised by the luxuriously appointed room, convenient location and efficient, friendly staff. I found Hotel Sierra on a internet search of hotels in Richmond, Va. My husband drove our college senior back to school in Ohio and made an overnight stop for my our son to visit his friend in Richmond. I wanted a comfortable and luxurious yet afforable stay for my husband who was driving many hours and would continue driving to Ohio the next day. My husband loved everything about this new luxury hotel. In the morning before checkout, he was able to work out in a beautiful gym and enjoy a delicious complimentary omelet before leaving. In fact, we filled out a comment card and suggested to add fruit, yogurt and cereal to the complimentary breakfast. The front desk supervisor promptly emailed us back to report that those items were now added to their breakfast. What incredible customer service! My husband's only regret was that he could not stay longer. We would love to visit their several other properties as well. Do yourself a favor and check into the Hotel Sierra in Richmond! I am sure their other properties are just as wonderful! Kudos to Hotel Sierra and their expert staff!! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in Virginia.

Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank barbind519
HSRichmondGM, General Manager at HYATT House Richmond-West, responded to this review, 22 September 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for such an amazing review! It is very encouraging to hear all of your comments! There are Hotel Sierra's across the country that we hope you can enjoy as well. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back again soon!
Steve Kendall, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
winnie35
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We were looking for a quick weekend trip to Kings Dominion for my daughters birthday. Originally booked into a hotel in Ashland. When my kids got to the hotel in Ashland they walked out. It was horrible. I quickly called a Richmond friend who gave me the recommendation of the Sierra Hotel. I was traveling with 3 children and my husband and I. We booked the King Suite - the room had a separate living area with a pull out sofa and kitchenette. The master bedroom had a door to separate the living quarters from the bedroom so it was a great fit for a group of 5. The room was perfect. Two flat screen tv's. Beds were very plush - bathroom ultra modern and very clean. We were on the 2nd floor. Room was on the same level of a gorgeous pool and hot tub. Big comfy seats outside to chill and have a glass of wine while the kids swam. I was so happy with the hotel we originally booked one night and stayed for two. Breakfast was good -
Location was in the middle of the mall - plenty of restaurant choices. Loved it so much we booked a return 2 night visit for September. I have traveled and stayed in a lot of nice hotels, but this one is the top of the list. Friendly professional staff. The maid service went above and beyond to make sure we had plenty of blankets. The kitchen had a full size stainless fridge with ice maker. Two stove top burners on the granite kitchen - microwave - my only down side was they could have offered fruit at breakfast. But this one is the best value in Richmond. I booked a AAA rate for $99. What a deal...

1 Thank winnie35
HSRichmondGM, General Manager at HYATT House Richmond-West, responded to this review, 1 September 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
Wow! What a great review! We truly appreciate you taking the time to post such positive feedback! I am glad that we could accommodate your entire family and that you all enjoyed the King Suite. It is great to hear that you and your husband enjoyed time to yourself while your children played in the pool. It is even better that you stayed an extra night and plan on returning so soon! We value everything that you have said and will look forward to seeing you again. Thank you again, your comments have been very encouraging to myself and our staff, here at Hotel Sierra
Yours in hospitality,
Daleville, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Let me say...this place rocks! We found this hotel online by chance and we are soo happy that we did. We were in Richmond dropping off our son at VCU, and wanted to make the trip into a mini vacation. While on this vacation we wanted to take our daughter shopping at Short Pump and thought it would be nice to stay in that general area...after doing a quick search this hotel appeared and it was great!!

Upon arrival you are greeted with a friendly staff and a contemporary atmosphere. Our room was on the second floor over looking the pool area...the pool area is great...they have modern furniture and they even have an outdoor propane fire pit. There was also relaxing music playing and at night they had elegant lighting.

Our room was way more than we could have ever asked for....it, like everything else, was very modern. We loved the flat screen tv, and my daughter loved the ipod docking station on the alarm clock. Our room had a microwave, refridge, wine opener, wine glasses, coffee maker..etc...also, a very nice large full lengh mirror. The bathroom was amazing! Nice vanity, a lighted make-up mirror, tiled floor and bath-tub. The bed was very comfortable...I felt like I was sleeping in luxury rather than on a piece of hard wood, like at most hotels. Again, it was soo much better than we ever anticipated.

Breakfast was great! They had eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits with gravy, omlette station, Starbucks coffee and more!

All around this was a GREAT place to stay. Only thing that I didn't really care for was the pool was only 4ft deep but it worked and we had a great time! The staff was great which can make or break any hotel stay.... we rode the elevator with one staff member and they actually made an effort to talk to us and to make sure we were enjoying our stay...customer service was excellent!

We will stay here again! No questions about that!

1 Thank jayandwhitney
Dear Valued Guest,
It is an amazing feeling hearing that you you enjoyed Hotel Sierra so well! We are glad that we could complete your "mini vacation" and allow you to shop but also relax. It is great to hear you enjoyed our hotel amenities and your room overall. We hope to have you back again soon and thank you again for thinking of Hotel Sierra as an Excellent choice.
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My daughter and I stayed at the Hotel-Sierra Richmond West on a recent college visit to University of Richmond. This hotel was wonderful and located right in the middle of the Short Pump mall.

The hotel is brand new and everything is spotless. The lobby is modern, yet comfortable. Our room was large (two queen sized beds) and had a 42" flat screen TV! The bathroom was large as well and very well laid out.

Breakfast was the nicest surprise of all. The "continental breakfast" that's included with your room rate included hot scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, home-fried potaties, Starbucks coffee and even a man cooking made-to-order omelettes!

We loved this hotel and will definitely stay here again when we return to the area.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank scoobycat318
Dear Valued Guest,
We are glad that you loved Hotel Sierra! It is great to hear you have such positive feedback about your room and your stay overall. We are glad that we could help complete you and your daughters visit and look forward to having you back. Good luck with your college visits!
Yours in hospitality,
Brooklyn
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We had a great stay... Hotel Sierra was perfect. Located in the Mall, great for morning shopping. The rooms lobby were clean and very well kept. Staff, very accommodating.

1 Thank tzvitas
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and its location. We are so glad that you had a great stay and hope to see you again soon!
In hospitality,
virginia
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I was very anxious and ready to review and tell everyone about my stay at Hotel Sierra.
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed myself at the hotel but I will try. The stay was wonderful, the hotel was everything you said it would be and more. Sales people say all kinds of things to get you to come to their hotel but I was sold and you were absolutely on-the-mark about everything. When I first heard about a hotel at the mall I thought it was the craziest thing I ever heard of. I thought it would be noisy and I foresaw all kinds of problems. But I did not feel like I was at a mall at all. I sat out in the pool area and it was lovely. The breakfast the next morning was better than most hotel fare. This hotel is over the top!! Everyone I came into contact with was so helpful and nice. The rooms are incredible - with very comfy beds and a sea of fluffy pillows! Did I say comfy beds.... wonderful, divine!!The TV was great, the music upon entering so welcome. The hotel itself is still new so is doesn't show the wear and tear of years of guests..a nice treat to be in something that still has a shine to it! The decor of the hotel was also a nice change of pace from the usual predictable decor of every other hotel I've ever been in. The Hotel Sierra has made every effort to design a hotel that at least makes you feel like you're in a boutique hotel. My room had ample space with a separate bedroom with king bed, a near full kitchen (full size fridge, microwave, sink, dishwasher, dishes etc. I wish I had more people with me.
A few minor downsides to our stay...the bathroom did not include a full bathtub, only a large stand-up shower with a glass wall (I did appreciate a hotel without the standard dirty shower curtain!). But not a deal breaker at least not for me ! This may pose a problem for people with kids. There was some gurgling going on with the toilet and the shower but then it went away.
I highly recommend this hotel, I could have stayed a week, not just for a weekend stay - but for a retreat!!

1 Thank tc_8119
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Having traveled extensively, staying at hundreds of hotels, this is the first time I have felt it necessary to write a review.
We were there for the opening weekend for a graduation with family. We were in five different rooms, every category, a few for three nights and there wasn't a complaint among us.
I reserved months in advance after seeing the location; steps to restaurants and shopping. The staff I spoke with was exceptionally accomodating with all of my room requests.
From the time we checked in, the staff went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. They were professional and friendly without making us feel like it was "just their job".
The rooms were truly gorgeous. I think the double was the largest I'd ever seen. We were in a corner suite and it exceeded our expectations. The family that had kitchen facilities was also impressed.
Breakfast was probably the best I've had that is included in the rate. Everything was fresh and the staff was on top of the selection at all times making sure it was abundant,
hot when required and suited to individual needs when called for.
Unfortunately the pool area was not open yet but it certainly looked like someplace we would want to be.
The only thing that bothers me is there isn't a reason for us to go back to Richmond now!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family