“Not Impressed at All”

Ranked #23 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Fairfax, Virginia
“Not Impressed at All”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed here for one night. The reason: It was rated #5 in Richmond and the price was right. The negatives: You're at the very opposite end of Richmond, away from all of the historical sites. The walls are paper thin. We could hear everything in the next room - if you stay here, hope you don't get a room next to little kids. Spend the extra money and stay at the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank eaglesclaw121
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. We will be looking in to your concerns. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay.

Located just off I-64, the Country Inn & Suites Richmond, VA hotel is only a few minutes from historic downtown. For added convenience, our hotel is also just 15 minutes from the University of Richmond and also near Virginia Commonwealth University. If you want to explore the area, Country Inn & Suites is convenient to several exciting local attractions, including Kings Dominion and the Short Town Pump Center.

Thank you again for your time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Cary, NC
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The Country Inn and Suites Richmond West is a great value for the quality of the hotel. It is located convenient to the highways on the west side of Richmond, off Broad Street, and you can therefore reach anywhere in the city pretty quickly. The hotel is very clean and rooms are decorated in soft blues and golds, with comfortable bedding and a lounge chair with ottoman. The bathrooms are large, with adequate bathing products. The room had a microwave and refrigerator tucked away in a dresser in addition to a coffee maker and flat-screen television. Although we did not have time to use the pool and hot-tub, they appeared clean and inviting. The breakfast included in the daily rate had hot and cold options, including eggs, hash browns, waffles, and cereal. There was always coffee available in the lobby. While the lobby was small for the number of people floating through, it had a comfortable conversation area for folks gathering as well as a library of books to borrow.

One of the most impressive things about this Country Inn was the staff. It sometimes seems that the staff at many inexpensive hotels is rather unwelcoming and/or unprofessional. However, they were wonderful here. We were greeted with fresh-baked cookies, and the desk staff continued to be efficient and pleasant throughout the stay. While our plans were essentially organized for our trip, I overheard one staff member providing excellent recommendations for activities to another guest. When our keys did not work on the second night of our stay, the desk staff took care of the problem immediately and with appropriate apologies. One morning as I got coffee from the lobby, the coffee urn ran out. The staff member at the desk across the lobby noticed this as it happened and brought another urn to the coffee station before I even had a chance to turn around and notify him that it was empty. This is the sort of proactive assistance that is lacking at many hotels. Kudos to the staff and to their management team!

I only have a few (very minor) suggestions, and these issues would not prevent me from returning to this hotel. First, the towels in the bathroom seemed a bit rough and thread-bare. I think they've been washed too many times and should be replaced. Second, the carpet in the hallway was pretty tacky--bright orange and blue--almost like a 1970s Vegas casino--and not in keeping with the otherwise soothing style of the lobby and rooms. Third, our room was on the first floor, and we could hear footsteps from the room above, almost like children playing. Fortunately, this did not occur during the night and therefore did not affect our sleep. However, it might be best to request a room on the top floor, just in case.

Nonetheless, the Country Inn and Suites is a solid choice in Richmond, and I will likely stay here again when visiting family in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. You gave us a lot of input about our hotel. This really helps us create a better place to stay for all of our guests. Your comments really helped, because you gave us a broader few of what our guests are seeing at our hotel. For that we are thankful.

Relax and unwind in one of the spacious, comfortable rooms at our hotel in Richmond, VA. The Country Inn & Suites offers 71 guest rooms and suites, each carefully designed with your comfort in mind. All of our hotel rooms are smoke-free and feature convenient amenities like wireless Internet access, coffee makers and irons/ironing boards. If you're traveling with the family, our suites offer the same great amenities and extra space.

Thanks again for your time and we hope to see you again in Richmond!!!
Northampton UK
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The Hotel is located on the outskirts of Richmond, and a car is recommended as it is a long way from the city centre, however it is very easy to find, and with good amenities nearby.

We stayed here for one night during our 3 week road trip, and we found the rooms very comfortable and clean, with plenty of towels.

The room was nicely decorated and had very good beds, twin doubles.
Coffee machine, micro wave and fridge were all in the room and worked well.

Check in was efficient, and check out was speedy too.

There is a good indoor pool which was very clean, spa pool and fitness room. The pool was great with, towels provided and loungers too.

The complimentary breakfast was a nice touch and you could help yourself to tea and coffee at any time, the coffee is located adjacent to a nice seating area in the foyer and also an outside sitting area is available too.

Plenty of parking is available.

Overall one of the best chain hotels I have stopped in.
We in the UK have a lot to learn !!!!

Room Tip: booked direct with the hotels web site
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We will pass them on to our staff. We are very happy that you had a good stay.

Searching for hotels in Richmond, VA near the area's best attractions? Country Inn & Suites is ideally located just off of I-64, near historic downtown Richmond. Perfect for prospective students and visiting parents, our hotel is just 15 minutes from the University of Richmond. If you're a history buff, our lodging is also convenient to several interesting, historic Richmond attractions, including St. John's Church and Agecroft Hall. Traveling with kids? Spend a day at exciting King's Dominion amusement park, just a short drive away. If you love shopping, Country Inn & Suites is only a few minutes from Short Pump Town Center, Stony Point Fashion Park and Regency Square Mall, three of the most popular Richmond shopping centers. At Country Inn & Suites, the best of the city is right outside the door of one of the best hotels in Richmond, VA.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Richmond!!!
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2011

The staff were very nice and helpful. The check in was very speedy. The room was very clean and comfortable. The aminities were perfect! Especially the whirlpool! After checking in, I went back downstairs to go to my car and the front desk employee made eye contact and asked me how everything was with the room! The stay was awesome and I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family. The location of the hotel was good too. There were plenty of places to eat. Great location for families to stay to get some rest in a nice, clean home away from home.

Room Tip: The room I had was great. No traffic noises. I did hear a few people in the hallways, but that was t...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Thanks for taking the time tor review our hotel. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We strive to provide all of our guests with a clean, comfortable, and safe place to stay.

Country Inn & Suites features 71 spacious, comfortable guest rooms and suites. Carefully designed with your comfort in mind, all of the rooms at our hotel feature convenient amenities, including wireless Internet access and 32" flat-screen TVs. Ideal for families, our Richmond, VA hotel's suites feature the same quality amenities and extra space.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Richmond!!! Thanks again for your comments!!!
Gainesville, Virginia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

First issue is the hotel is not really in Richmond. GPS couldn't find it.. My wife called them and the person answered was rude...said we are on Broad St and hung up.. When I called they were little more helpful and told me they were not in Richmond...So I wish they would have told us that nugget when I called...the room clean...the breakfast was ok...not many choices... The pool was clean and the kids love it.... It was close enough to Richmond that is was not an issue.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank matjaz2002
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry for the behavior of our staff. These issues will be brought to their attention. We strive to provide each of our guests with the best service.

As one of the best hotels in Richmond, Virginia, we offer all the services and amenities guests expect and deserve. Take the family for a swim in our pool, work out in our Fitness Center or stay connected with our Business Center. If you need to catch a flight, we will arrange transportation to the airport. The top-notch services at the Country Inn & Suites Richmond, VA hotel won't disappoint!

Thanks again for your comments!!! We hope to so you again on future visits to the area!!
Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We were traveling from Florida to NYC and had to stop a couple of times along the way as my friend didn't like to drive for more than 8 hours in a days time so this was one of our stops. It was a great find. Super staff, so friendly, amazing really. So many people these days act like you are doing them a favor giving them your money, not this place. The rooms were really clean and the bath was spotless. The bed was very comfy. The breakfast was excellent and plentiful.

A really great find!

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
CEGHotelsResponse, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We appreciate your comments and will be passing them on to the staff. They always like to hear good comments. At our hotel we strive to provide our guest with a great experience.

We hope you will consider us again in future stays in Richmond. Thanks again for your review.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 9 July 2011

My experience started with the reservation. I've stayed at other Country Inns during my travels so I had some points. I "cashed" in 5000 pts + some money and got a suite with a 2 person jacuzzi. The online reservation was easy and the room was great. Everything about my stay was a 10 outta 10 although I didn't use the pool or fitness room but they "looked" good. The breakfast was great! Wide assortment of danishs and cereals with eggs, sausage, and waffles. The waffles are the ones you pour in the iron yourself and flip it over to start the clock....yeah those, they are the best! The people were friendly from checkin to checkout. Great property, you will not be dissappointed.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Your comments are very much appreciated. We are so happy that you had a great experience with us and we will be passing that on to our staff.

At our hotel we strive to provide a clean comfortable and safe hotel. We are so glad that we provided that for you.

We hope that you consider us on future visits to Richmond. Thanks again for your review.