“Nice Place, Great Price”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64
Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Fairfax, Virginia
“Nice Place, Great Price”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

It's not near the downtown area. But the hotel is very nice, and you will pay much less than the Hilton Garden Inn. Great service at the front desk and the comp breakfast isn't bad. I would drive the extra miles and stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear eaglesclaw121,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments about the hotel. We will pass your feedback on to our staff. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Country Inn & Suites Richmond West

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel embodies everything we miss about being in Richmond! The staff are super friendly, the rooms are always very clean, and as a rewards member there are always little incentives. Unfortunately they don't accept pets, so now that my husband and I have a Yorkie we have to stay elsewhere unless family can watch our dog. But, until we had the Yorkie, this was our hotel of choice, every time! And at Christmas it's even more pleasant than usual.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor - the pool smell is very strong. We always get a room that faces t...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Louise,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. Thank you so much for your comments and concerns. Thank you for telling us your concerns about the the pet policy. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We apologize for the inconvenience. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean,safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Desk person very accommodating and smiley! The desk person made it a very easy decision to stay. The location was a trial to find. Off the main road one block with no sign indicating hotel. GPS was used to find the hotel. Even tho, a great find..

• Stayed October 2013
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear ctbs,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We value all guest feedback. We are so happy that you chose us. We will pass your feedback on to our staff. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Richmond. Thank you for your feedback about the Desk person. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was upgraded to a suite room. Tastefully decorated with a bedroom and living room, coffee maker, mini frig, and microwave. Very comfortable and I slept great. Nice breakfast included, eggs, ham, yogurt, fruit, breads. I'm a light breakfast eater, so was more than what I needed.

My only negative was it was hard to find. Bad signage on broad street. Look for the outlook across the street or the holiday inn next door.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Susan S
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Susan S,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We really appreciate your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed what the hotel had to offer. Thank you for your concerns about finding the hotel. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We are sorry for the confusion. We use guest feedback to make changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Virginia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I woke up yesterday morning with bug bites on my legs and chest. I was scared that I was a bed bug victim, and immediately searched the bed (like I should have done the night before). I was revolted, and a little relieved, to find fleas. I even caught one, and put it in a cup and took it to the front desk to show them. The man at the desk said he was extremely sorry, and the manager would call me. I have not heard a word from them.

The condition of the room I was in was run down. The carpet was stained in multiple places. I wont be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank woodinva
Crystal L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
At the Country Inn & Suites, we strive to provide all of our guests with a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. At the present time we have reached out to this guest. We do value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for future guests to the hotel.
Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I was very pleased with my stay here. I really can't say enough about it. Stay here!

I come to Richmond 6 or 7 times a year. I usually stay on what is (in my mind) the "newer side" of Richmond, near Innsbrook/Glen Allen. The Hyatt Place used to be my go-to spot but has disappointed me 2 or 3 times too many. I had started paying the extra $20 to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn right up the walkway. While the HGI is nice, I am always looking to pay beer-money-prices for some champagne, so I took a risk on this place. After this stay I would absolutely recommend driving the extra 10 minutes down to this Country Inn & Suites and save yourself $40 for the same (if not better) room as the HGI.

I stayed in a "1 Bedroom Suite" with a King bed. I was surprised by how nice this room was for the low price. I got a good "last minute discount" deal on the hotel's website (saving $15+ off the normal price). The room has a bedroom separate from the living and bathroom. The entire room was very clean, comfortable, and roomy. I've stayed in "accessible" rooms with less space. There were 2 TVs in the room (one in the living and bed rooms, respectively). The TVs were just a few inches less than what I'm used to but were a decent size none-the-less... I'm guessing 29" or 32" but I'm a bad judge of size so I may be lying. The air/heat is "wall controlled" (I hate that I even have to mention that nowadays but you'd be surprised the hotels that still have the by-the-window setup) and it didn't take long at all for the room to get adjusted once the thermostat was changed. There is a microwave, fridge, and coffee maker in the room.

The bed was clean, plush, and comforting. The bed and pillows gave me the best, most enjoyable sleep I've had in a long time. Period.

The bathroom had enough space for me to dance around while I brushed my teeth without running into the tub. BUT for my OCD, nit-picky people, there were a few SMALL stains which looked like may have been rust around where the tub meets the wall. But it definitely wasn't mildew or dirt (see pics)... did I mention how CLEAN this place was? The water pressure was lovely. I didn't mess with the showerhead but I don't think it was adjustable (for those who want to know that sort of thing). Another thing I had never seen before and found a little odd was the ice bucket in the bathroom. I'm sure it's common enough but I'm just used to it being in the living room by the coffee maker or microwave. I made the mistake of telling the desk attendant I didn't have one in my room before I realized it was in the bathroom on the sink by the plastic cups (see pics). Sorry nice attendant lady.

There is a gym (good selection of equipment), pool (indoor), free WiFi and internet, but you will need to bring your own Ethernet cable if you want to hard-wire in. They have delicious complementary cookies at check-in/check-out (take THAT Doubletree!) and free breakfast with a good selection (eggs, sausage, cereal, muffins, fruit, oatmeal, waffles, etc... You absolutely MUST try the breakfast potatoes... you're welcome in advance). The staff was friendly and willing to help, not discourteous in any way. My room was far away from the ice machine but was one door away from the elevator. Surprisingly I didn't hear any noise from the elevator at all, so I thought I should mention how quiet the room seemed. But segue to the elevators... they are THE SLOWEST ELEVATORS EVER KNOWN TO MAN. Bring a talkative friend or book in the elevator with you.

My window view was nice because I could see some plush grass/trees and the skyline was bright and clear; gave the room very nice lighting. But the window was directly facing the road and what looked like a small business, so if you are big on privacy you may need to chose the other side of the hotel or keep your shadow-curtains closed. The hotel was a LITTLE hard to find even with GPS as one of the other reviewers mentioned. To help you, it is right behind the Picadilly and Hooters and next to a large Quality Inn... Please don't be put-off by the appearance of the Quality Inn next door. In the daytime, the QI next door DOES appear to be a scary old hotel that Jack Nicholson may be trying to murder his family in, but the Comfort Suites looks brand new, inside and out, and the area is a very nice, QUIET area during the day and evening.

If you are trying to decide on a place in the Richmond or Glen Allen area, stay HERE. I took a few pics. How this review helps you. :-)

Room Tip: If you can risk it, try waiting last minute to book your room. On Country Inn & Suites website...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank TravelWithLaLa
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear TravelWithLaLa,

Thank you so much for your very detailed review of the hotel. Thank you for all of your comments and concerns. We value all guest feedback that we receive. We will pass all of your feedback on to our staff. Thank you so much for staying with us. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Frenchtown, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have been traveling to Richmond, VA for the NASCAR races (Spring & Fall) for over 10 years and had been staying at the same place. A relative suggested the Country Inn & Suites because they enjoyed their prior stays so we changed up this September. SO glad we did! We have a new "regular" now! Rooms were VERY clean, all staff was courteous, friendly and very helpful. The breakfast had a decent selection and there was always coffee/tea and cookies available. Surprisingly, being just off Broad Street, it was very quiet (probably because the hotel sits behind Quaker Steak & Lube). We were within walking distance of many restaurants and we were able to cut out trip to Richmond International Raceway by 15 mins -- we were able to use all back roads. In addition, rates were very reasonable (booked online about 4 months prior)

Room Tip: Our king room had a jacuzzi tub in the living area - room was extremely spacious.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KathleenS89
Dear KathleenS89,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Richmond. We are glad to become your new hotel of choice. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We look forward to your future visit!