“Poor customer service”

Hampton Inn Richmond South
Ranked #29 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Do not stay at this hotel! I had a change of plans and booked this hotel without researching it. After driving all day, I just wanted to settle into a room and to be able to get something to eat. The only place to get something to eat is a Subway next door or the Grill at the Holiday Inn across the street (six lanes of traffic to cross). The Grill has mixed reviews, so I settled for Subway. The room is an average hotel room, nothing special. The room I was first put in did not have a working TV. I tried calling the front desk but there was no response to any of the call numbers on the room phone. Trying to reach anyone, I even used the button labeled 'emergency' - no one even answered that, which was alarming. I went down to the front desk and the person there, Meghan, came up, fiddled with the TV and said it was not working. She told me my new room key would be brought up. After

15 minutes, I went back down to the desk with my luggage to get the key. About an hour later, I
realized I left my jacket in the closet in the first room. I went to the front desk and left a note at because no one was there. I called down after a half hour and was told by Meghan that she would take care of it after she finished checking another customer in. A half hour after that, I called again because I wanted to go to sleep. Meghan complained that she was all alone and busy but finally came up with my jacket and an attitude. The traffic noise is loud on both sides
of the building. One side faces Commerce St., the other side faces I-95. Both have continuous
truck traffic. I travel frequently but I won't stay at a Hampton Inn again. Apparently, customer service doesn't matter if their hotels are only staffed with one person .

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lb2014lb
Sangeeta_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your experience. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. We value your feedback and will strive to provide you with the exceptional product and excellent customer service.
The front desk associate in question has been counseled as we believe in prioritizing our guest needs and at the same time ensure each and every guest in contact receives the same due attention. Please accept my sincere apologies for not delivering that to you during this stay. You are a very valuable guest and you should not have had to go through that in the first instance. I do believe strongly in exceptional and diligent guest service with a professional attitude at all times.
We are close to the highway that promotes easy access to many of our travelers and even though we are situated in an industrial area we have several recommendations for local restaurants within 5 miles that provide sumptuous meals and outstanding service which are available at the desk. The only reason we have survived through this day is because of our service and I am extremely proud of our product Have a great day!!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Richmond South

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had to travel to Richmond, VA for a funeral and a cousin of mine suggested this hotel as this is one of their getaway spots. I reserved the room online and when we got there to check in, it was less than a 5 minute check in!!! I couldn't believe this especially after such a long day traveling and then of course the funeral. It was refreshing to get there and then be taken care of so quickly and did I mention that the hotel is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. My sister was in love with the bathroom! All in all I will be returning to this hotel when I return for our family reunion in July.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Sangeeta_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed a pleasant check in experience with us. The staff appreciates your kind gesture and it gives us utmost pleasure to help our guests have a comfortable stay. Please do come back and see us again!!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Comfortable beds, clean rooms. The breakfast this morning was almost non-existent. The pantry area was messy and the woman serving seemed frazzled. She told me the food order would be in tomorrow. Overall, not up to Hampton Inn's usual standards.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time share your experience on tripadvisor. You feedback is extremely important to us and makes us strive to do better.
Please be assured we are very consistent and follow Hampton standards for breakfast. Breakfast is one of our favorite unique selling feature and enjoyed by our guests. I apologise that this was not potrayed to you during this visit. The breakfast host has been retrained to follow the expectations. Thank you for staying with us again!!!!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My family and i were traveling through on our way back from Florida, I found this hotel on the website and booked the room for 2 adults and 3 kids. When we checked in we were told the room was to small and adding the third child would be a violation of the fire code. Thomas was very unfriendly and unprofessional in his appearance and attitude. This will be the last time I stay at any Hampton Inn properties.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Sangeeta_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. Please be advised that it is our goal to meet the expecatations of each and every guest that stays at the property and I want to apologise to you for not taking care of you. When we travel with family we want to have that comfort level established in every step. I am extremely sorry that we were not able to provide a rollway bed to you as it was against the fire code and next time you visit the area again I will be glad to take care of your stay.
Your feedback is extremely important to us and makes us strive to do better. I have addressed the issue with the front desk team member as the room is not small however since it already has two queen beds in it we are unable to fit a rollway bed inside it as it is against the fire regulations. We would be happy to accomodate you in an additional room with a discounted price for future. Please feel free to contact us for future needs. Thank you for staying with us again!!!!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Every staff member of this hotel, right up to the general manager, made us feel welcome and comfortable during our 24-hour stay. Even despite a packed house, the staff arranged for an early check-in AND a late departure the next day (when our travel plans changed). Just a great experience all the way around...we'll be back.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed a pleasant experience with us. The staff appreciates your kind gesture and it gives us utmost pleasure to help our guests have a comfortable stay. Please do come back and see us again!!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We picked this hotel because it offered a promotional discount for families attending the VCU Open House. My son and I were thrilled with all the amenities included. Every single staff member was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The complimentary breakfast was awesome as well.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, where so many travelers visit to find out more about potential hotel choices. We are glad that you enjoyed a pleasant experience with us and found the location convenient for your needs. Please do come back and visit us again!!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

If you're traveling on 95 and need a convenient place to stop, this is it. The rooms are acceptable, but of course you hear the highway. Richmond, if you haven't been there, is a pleasant city to visit with some interesting history.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Sangeeta_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, where so many travelers visit to find out more about potential hotel choices. We are glad that you enjoyed a pleasant experience with us and found the location convenient for your needs.Hope that you will return to our hotel again!!!