“Nice concept, poorly executed. Could have been much more.”
Review of Far East Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Far East Bistro
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The name Far East Bistro conjures up a sort of Pan-asian fusion style menu, but in reality, the food is little different than one can get from the typical gloppy Americanized Chinese dishes, some Vietnamese standards, with a few nods to other Asian cuisines.

We tried it for take out and also for dine in, and were not impressed either time. In fact it was not quite as good as the other places we used to go to.

It is too bad, there is a lot they could have tried.

One thing they could still try - how about some Korean food, like Korean Fried Chicken on the menu? A lot of folks in the Far West End like it, and don't particularly like driving south of the river to get it.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I tried the Far East Bistro for take-out on February 4th and I must say this was one of the worst all around experiences I have ever had with any restaurant. Although the restaurant was very nicely decorated and had a rather "hip" sounding name, their menu options are pretty much what you would find at any local, less dressier Asian restaurant. Despite this initial observation, I still had hopes that their curb appeal would translate into better than average food. Nope. In fact, I would even say the food we ordered was below average.

My wife and I both had the mango chicken and two spring rolls. The mango chicken was very, very bland and the spring rolls were incredibly dry, flaky and hard. It seemed as if they had cooked the spring rolls earlier in the day and then just threw them back into the fryer to heat them up which resulted in a rather greasy, refried torpedo. Seriously, they really were that bad and we threw them away.

Most ironic about this experience is that the food was not my biggest issue. When we walked in they only had two patrons in the restaurant. We went to the bar and placed our orders with an older gentlemen who was not seen again after he took our order into the kitchen. In place of the older gentlemen appeared a young man (perhaps late teens, early 20's) who apparently was left to run things. We waited and waited and waited for our food. Another couple that had phoned in their order came in after we had been waiting about 20 minutes and they were encouraged by the young man to have a seat since their food was not ready yet. The young man disappeared into the kitchen and my wife and I continued to wait… and wait… and wait… When the young man reappeared my wife asked him if he could tell us how much longer it was going to be before our food would be ready. I then chimed in that we had been waiting about 45 minutes. The young man searched his computer screen for our order and then curtly said to me "It's been 37 minutes..." His tone gave me the impression that he was thinking "what's the big deal?"

Wow! For a few seconds I contemplated all the different things that were offensive with his comment from a customer service perspective, and then I decided I had had enough and was prepared to leave. (Seriously?? That's how a business responds to a customer who has been subjected to a lengthy wait time in a nearly empty restaurant??) Although I was ready to bid them farewell, my wife encouraged me to wait it out since we had already invested so much time. The young man disappeared into the kitchen once more and when he remerged he said our order would be ready in a few minutes. About 5 minutes later he came out with our food which, in the end, was pretty bad. So, I will add the Far East Bistro to the list of restaurants that will never see me or my money again. Never. I might have given them a second chance and chalked their sub-par food offering up to a "bad night" had I not received such a snarky response from the young man. The continued success of any business is dependent upon their willingness and ability to satisfy their customer and earn their loyalty. If this young man is what they are using as "the face" of their restaurant I predict their doors won't be open much longer.

1  Thank Kurious
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The beef tastes like beef not some weird mixture of parts. You can taste the quality. Te sauces are amazing!

Reviewed 15 September 2011

We had a large party of 12 and prospects of dinner at our original destination seemed bleak. Far East Bistro was right around the corner (though isn't all that well known), so we opted to go there. They were very accommodating, and service was prompt and they even gave us some free appetizers (scallion pancakes, which were very good). Having been here a number of times, I'm surprised this place isn't busier than it is!

Reviewed 14 August 2009

My wife and I found this restaurant because it is so close to the American Family Fitness at the Short Pump Town Center. We've since been there at least 5-6 times and have been quite pleased with the food, service, atmosphere, and sheer variety of items on the menu.

Besides a number of chinese dishes, they also offer some vietnamese dishes and last time were offering PHO.

For dessert, we highly recommend the fried bananas.